Why become a member? ×

Pot help....?

oldslapper

So had some EMG PJ pups installed and, following EMG website http://www.emgpickups.com/content/wiringdiagrams/PJ_models.pdf paragraph 3 state that 25k pots are to be used.
So go to get the bass from the tech who installed the pups and pots and he shows me a problem.
The separate volume pots don't silence the pups when wound down, there's just a slight drop in volume. So pups on all the time, also no discernable change in tone when using tone pot.
Now, all pots are good quality, the tone cap is PIO. And the wiring is done carefully and to the diagram.

Bizarrely when the battery is taken out, the volume pots work still, albeit at very low volume.

The tech is at a loss, but suggested that 250k pots would have been a better option. I was advised to get 250k pots beforehand by a fine gentleman of this parish, but I refused saying that EMG should know what they're doing surely?

Any clues? thanks,
John

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1329760611' post='1546912']
So had some EMG PJ pups installed and, following EMG website [url="http://www.emgpickups.com/content/wiringdiagrams/PJ_models.pdf"]http://www.emgpickup...s/PJ_models.pdf[/url] paragraph 3 state that 25k pots are to be used.
So go to get the bass from the tech who installed the pups and pots and he shows me a problem.
The separate volume pots don't silence the pups when wound down, there's just a slight drop in volume. So pups on all the time, also no discernable change in tone when using tone pot.
Now, all pots are good quality, the tone cap is PIO. And the wiring is done carefully and to the diagram.

Bizarrely when the battery is taken out, the volume pots work still, albeit at very low volume.

The tech is at a loss, but suggested that 250k pots would have been a better option. I was advised to get 250k pots beforehand by a fine gentleman of this parish, but I refused saying that EMG should know what they're doing surely?

Any clues? thanks,
John
[/quote]
EMG's normally are active pickups. If they work without the battery then they are not active pickups.
for passive pups 250k pots will do you

[quote name='MarkBassChat' timestamp='1329763387' post='1546967']
What do you mean by "had some EMG PJ pups"? Do you have one of models listed in the diagram? Which diagram are you using, #2? In this diagram the pickusp are shorted to the ground when pots are turned down. So probably you have pots not connected to the ground. Can you make a photo and post it here?

Mark
[/quote]
+1. In that diagram when the volumes are down then the pickups' signals are sent to earth. So if you can wind both volumes down and still hear a signal, then your bass is simply not wired the same way as in that diagram. And it seems most likely that it is a lack of proper grounding that is the problem. All of which makes me think you need to go to a different tech.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1329776979' post='1547320']
Nothing useful to add but I just wanted to point out that this thread is now probably being investigated :P
[/quote]

Oh crikey... I've just been talking about 500K's worth of pot... :unsure:

Edited by icastle

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1329773629' post='1547227']
Not sure how you're using these pups, but iIf you're running them in passive mode then you should be using 500kΩ pots, the 25KΩ pots are only recommended for active mode usage.
[/quote]

But active EMG's won't work in passive mode, active pups can't be turned off. They are either active EMG's which need a 25k pot or something else that needs 250 or 500k pots

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1329825893' post='1547888']
But active EMG's won't work in passive mode, active pups can't be turned off. They are either active EMG's which need a 25k pot or something else that needs 250 or 500k pots
[/quote]

Having read what I wrote earlier, I'll try that again using words that actually make sense (I know what I meant but there's no way anyone else would! :lol:)

EMG make both passive and active pickups and it is possible to use both types simultaneously, [b]but[/b] (you were waiting for that 'but' weren't you? ;) ), if you do so then EMG recommend using a 500KΩ pot.

There are also known issues using dual volume controls (which I am assuming is the case here as it's a PJB) instead of a single master volume - it has been reported that some EMG users are finding the signal still bleeds through when the pot is set to 'off'...

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1329840810' post='1548307']

There are also known issues using dual volume controls (which I am assuming is the case here as it's a PJB) instead of a single master volume - it has been reported that some EMG users are finding the signal still bleeds through when the pot is set to 'off'...
[/quote]

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1329841527' post='1548323']
The picture shows an active EMG therefore 25K pots are appropriate. Not 250K or 500K.
[/quote]

Thanks gentlemen, that's helpful. :-)
Perhaps using a balance pot would be an option then.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1329777229' post='1547329']
Oh crikey... I've just been talking about 500K's worth of pot... :unsure:
[/quote]

Yes... the thread title promised much.
Like when Otto went to Stoner's Pot Palace and it turned out to be kitchenware.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1329844694' post='1548410']
Thanks gentlemen, that's helpful. :-)
Perhaps using a balance pot would be an option then.
[/quote]

Could very well be.
Although the EMG forum has a number of posts about signal bleed when using two volume controls, there weren't any sensible ideas about a solution.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1329845354' post='1548427']
Yes... the thread title promised much.
Like when Otto went to Stoner's Pot Palace and it turned out to be kitchenware.
[/quote]

Yeah.
Had the same problem with the phrase 'as much pussy as you can handle' and ended up with 39 cats... <_<

Ok, so the tech put some 250k pots in, and everything works as it should.

Battery disconnected, no sound, so pups defo active.

Make of this what you will. But, one things for sure, I should have taken the advice of the gentleman of this parish who queried my choice of pot value.

But that's 25k pot up in smoke. :-)

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1329942558' post='1550208']
Ok, so the tech put some 250k pots in, and everything works as it should.
[/quote]

Interestingly, the phrase about the 25KΩ pot is duplicated on every single instruction sheet on the EMG website.
I do wonder if they perhaps made a typo on the first one and then copied and pasted that onto every subsequent one... :)