Why become a member? ×

Fake Fender Jazz or is this for real?

q_of_doom

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1329823691' post='1547834']My concern with this example is mainly that the serial number appears to have been removed... was this done because it was stolen at some point?[/quote]
Removed, or just obscured? I'd say the seller has obscured the serial, to protect the identity of what he owns from potential fraudsters.

As for the bass, at circa £650, I think that's a reasonable buy. It looks in good order, and these usually sell for more than what's being asked. The bodies and necks, pickups and electrics were all reliable, it was just the plastics and the mix and match attitude at Fender that caused any issues. It's why you'll see some with the 3D style tuners, some with a metal control plate, some with five screw bridges, none of which make these bad basses.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1329829145' post='1547966']If the seller can't explain the strange pixellation issue on the headstock, I wouldn't go anywhere near it.[/quote]
One person. One opinion. And he admits he's not a forensic photography expert. Seriously, what's odd about a seller disguising a serial number?

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1329829442' post='1547975']
Seriously, what's odd about a seller disguising a serial number?
[/quote]

More to the point, why would anyone want to? But if it can be explained (rather than just "oh, it was like that when I got it") then maybe there is no problem.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1329829238' post='1547969']
Removed, or just obscured? I'd say the seller has obscured the serial, to protect the identity of what he owns from potential fraudsters.[/quote]

Could be

[quote]As for the bass, at circa £650, I think that's a reasonable buy. It looks in good order, and these usually sell for more than what's being asked. The bodies and necks, pickups and electrics were all reliable, it was just the plastics and the mix and match attitude at Fender that caused any issues. It's why you'll see some with the 3D style tuners, [b]some with a metal control plate[/b], some with five screw bridges, none of which make these bad basses.
[/quote]

That being the case, it probably wouldn't cause too many problems if the OP were to tweak the aesthetics with a replacement scratchplate plus metal control plate... (personally I'd leave it alone)

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1329829442' post='1547975']
One person. One opinion. And he admits he's not a forensic photography expert. Seriously, what's odd about a seller disguising a serial number?
[/quote]

Very true, I'm not.
I only looked because I was intrigued at what had become of the serial number.

It's enough to put me off buying it blind though.

I've just spoken to the seller, an elderly gentleman who seems genuine. The serial number has been destroyed, and that was how he bought it off a reputable dealer many years ago. I forgot to ask if he still has the invoice.

Even he suggested that he didn't know why the serial number would have been destroyed, also suggesting that the guitar might at some point in its history may have left an owner's possession by dubious means. We have no way of telling.

He did say that he will be in my neck of the woods in a month or so if I cared to inspect the bass.

If all's seems kosher, I'm tempted again. *sigh*

Edited by q_of_doom

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1329832793' post='1548070']
That being the case, it probably wouldn't cause too many problems if the OP were to tweak the aesthetics with a replacement scratchplate plus metal control plate... (personally I'd leave it alone)
[/quote]

Me too. I don't really like the chrome plates on a jazz. This isn't pimp my ride.

[quote name='q_of_doom' timestamp='1329837503' post='1548215']
He did say that he will be in my neck of the woods in a month or so if I cared to inspect the bass.

If all's seems kosher, I'm tempted again. *sigh*
[/quote]

If you can get to try it out without the 1000 km round trip & find you like it, then why not get it?
It almost certainly won't depreciate in value, though the missing serial number might put some people off should you choose to sell it at a later date

I think this is definately a Fender. I have seen these before but they are a pretty rare beast. Seem to remember a Ventures reissue was like this but might be mistaken. Definately 80s. If you really want to make sure then have the seller remove the neck and see whats in the pocket and on the back of the neck base. If theres nothing there then its a fake my friend. If its genuine then you are probably in the money. As I said pretty rare to say the least. Well worth pursuing IMHO. Good luck

[quote name='rednose200' timestamp='1330162677' post='1553466']
I think this is definately a Fender. I have seen these before but they are a pretty rare beast. Seem to remember a Ventures reissue was like this but might be mistaken. Definately 80s. If you really want to make sure then have the seller remove the neck and see whats in the pocket and on the back of the neck base. If theres nothing there then its a fake my friend. If its genuine then you are probably in the money. As I said pretty rare to say the least. Well worth pursuing IMHO. Good luck
[/quote]

Not all Fenders have a neck stamp.