Why become a member? ×

Guy finds 62/63 Shell Pink Jazz Bass..it's all going off on Talkbass

umcoo

[quote name='1SHOT1HIT' timestamp='1330710163' post='1562078']
I think some of it was that, yes.
I also think a lot was just pure, envious hatred and sheer bitterness that it happened to someone other than them. I mean it's a tough world living in mothers basement. What I don't get is if they'd just step away from the computer and get out more, they may actually find their own something or other one day.

I never understood people like this, Why be hateful because something good happens to someone. Just be happy for them.
[/quote]

if you sell it ,sell it to europe only ,that'll get 'em goin :D
oh and put the pics up here too please if possible

[quote name='1SHOT1HIT' timestamp='1330700784' post='1561861']
I was thinking that I would keep it, drool over it a bit, try really hard not to saturate it and further destroy the already checking paint with said drool, then play it, put it back in it's box and repeat for the next 2 decades, repeat.

My conscience is 100% clean and free of guilt. This bass will one day be passed on to my children, and or help put them through school.
Definitely will not be donating this or any proceeds to anyone while my own family could benefit tremendously from it. I really don't buy into the whole Karma thing, But if I did I'd have to say that karma was certainly on my side, not against me.
[/quote]

Fair play to you mate - and I agree entirely with your views on it's present ownership & how you came about it. Good luck to you & I hope you enjoy it.
Or as a great man once said............
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjrGJhnK3ps[/media]

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1329669440' post='1545578']
Except, what you're describing is a contractual arrangement, where clauses in the lease agreement, or in a subsidiary document referred to in that agreement, set out operational procedures to be followed on termination. There will also be a statement saying that the contract does not exclude the operation of the general law in relation to Crown reservation, "antiquities", "treasure trove", and high-value items, and how such should be treated in other situations, such as abandonment.
[/quote]

This takes me back...

[quote name='1SHOT1HIT' timestamp='1330700784' post='1561861']
I was thinking that I would keep it, drool over it a bit, try really hard not to saturate it and further destroy the already checking paint with said drool, then play it, put it back in it's box and repeat for the next 2 decades, repeat.

I am in no karmic danger here, I bought an abandoned instrument, The laws in my state dictate that when an owner abandons something (regardless of value or vintage) it is exactly that, abandoned.
There is no law that states, that once the previous owner decides it is valuable to them (monetarily or sentimentally) that the now new owner should feel bad for them or be obligated to return said abandoned item.

If you read the original story I posted know that for the most part that story has changed dramatically. (Not that it matters at all, I had legal right to buy it then)

But what I posted is what I was told through the middle man I had bought it through. Turns out he had added some of his own details to the story. For God only knows what reason.
The bass was in an old mans apartment, that old man come to the end of his term/lease, he moved out on his own free will even staying up through the final day. He removed some objects but left behind about 90% of his possessions. Word is that the place was left in shambles and pretty disgusting. So much so that the property had to hire a professional clean up crew to empty the place out. Which took place some 5-6 months after his leaving.
(So he had not just the 30 days law stipulates here, he had an additional 4-5 months on top of that to come claim anything he wanted)
And on top of that I'm told (Now straight from the source) that this all took place almost 6 months ago.
So we're talking a year almost since this bass was voluntarily left behind and nobody claimed it in that year.
It was saved from the trash truck I believe you guys call it a Lorry or something. Right?
The maintenance man, saw it and saved it, and then happened to show my friend who showed me.

My conscience is 100% clean and free of guilt. This bass will one day be passed on to my children, and or help put them through school.
Definitely will not be donating this or any proceeds to anyone while my own family could benefit tremendously from it. I really don't buy into the whole Karma thing, But if I did I'd have to say that karma was certainly on my side, not against me.
[/quote]

Don't worry, we will all accept this over this side of the pond, we call it the Elgin Marbles Defence :)

Just stop trying to find out what it is and who painted what and learn to play the damn thing!

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1330719634' post='1562274']
Fair play to you mate - and I agree entirely with your views on it's present ownership & how you came about it. Good luck to you & I hope you enjoy it.
Or as a great man once said............
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjrGJhnK3ps[/media]
[/quote]

Funniest thing I've seen all week, Woulda killed to have had it last week. Who knows I may still need it. Lol

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1330720264' post='1562285']
This takes me back...
[/quote]
Yeah kinda takes me back too, What was funny is that all of the legal mumbo jumbo was all based off of speculation.

Anyway in my state here, you have 30 days, and when you leave it and voluntarily turn your keys in for the termination of the lease you have zero days, you have made a conscious decision to forfeit all rights to anything left behind.

Even funnier is I quoted several lawyers I had paid to back me up and they still argued their points with me.

[quote name='BB3000S' timestamp='1330729692' post='1562438']
Welcome to the bright side of bass forums, and best of luck playing your wonderful jazz - if Karma has anything to do with it, it's telling you to go learn some kickass bass grooves! :)
[/quote]Actually Karma is playing the bass right now and I'm a bit jealous of her skills.

She is incredible, Yeah be envious me and Karma kick it almost daily. Don't tell her I told you but I've even seen her unmentionables a time or two.

Karma and I go way back, She had some making up to do and that's how I ended up here, with a killer bass

[quote name='1SHOT1HIT' timestamp='1330728534' post='1562420']
Yeah kinda takes me back too, What was funny is that all of the legal mumbo jumbo was all based off of speculation.
[/quote]
Welcome to the world of forums, where ignorance rarely gets in the way of an opinion.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1330766442' post='1562610']
Welcome to the world of forums, where ignorance rarely gets in the way of an opinion.
[/quote]
So I've noticed, thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it.
I just need to learn to let the small stuff go sometimes. 99% of it is all just worthless anyway.

[quote name='walplayer' timestamp='1330717031' post='1562212']
if you sell it ,sell it to europe only ,that'll get 'em goin :D
[/quote]

Defo!! I'd LOVE to watch that go down, the same way the Rickwaffen wet their pants when a rare Rick pops up over in Europe and the guy won't ship worldwide!! Man, I'd pay good money to watch all that!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1330951791' post='1565150']
Gorgeous bass.

Just out of interest, do fender currently make any shell pink models or is it custom shop only?
[/quote]

Yeah Custom Shop only if you want MIA, but I did own a shell pink MIJ '62 reissue. Don't know if they still make them but I really miss that bass.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1330951791' post='1565150']
Gorgeous bass.

Just out of interest, do fender currently make any shell pink models or is it custom shop only?
[/quote]

I'm not 100% sure, All I've seen is the custom shop reissue 64 J-Bass but I've also only been snooping around this stuff for about 2 weeks

[quote name='1SHOT1HIT' timestamp='1330710163' post='1562078']
I think some of it was that, yes.
I also think a lot was just pure, envious hatred and sheer bitterness that it happened to someone other than them.[b] I mean it's a tough world living in mothers basement. [/b]
[/quote]

I think you very eloquently summed it up with this. And congratulations on a stunning instrument, I'm utterly delighted for you :) Just make sure it gets played! Instruments exist to create music, not to sit as eye candy on a guitar stand.

Might I also suggest you stick around here? We're a much friendlier bunch than TB and if you're going to be learning to play bass, then this is the place you're going to want to be!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1330973524' post='1565672']
I think you very eloquently summed it up with this. And congratulations on a stunning instrument, I'm utterly delighted for you :) Just make sure it gets played! Instruments exist to create music, not to sit as eye candy on a guitar stand.

Might I also suggest you stick around here? We're a much friendlier bunch than TB and if you're going to be learning to play bass, then this is the place you're going to want to be!
[/quote]

I agree with the statement that it "must be a tough world living in mother's basement" and with your statements, too. There are many positive things about TB, but especially in the last year things have taken a turn for the worse. Although the mods are great, I'd say there are just too many problems there for humans to solve in any meaningful way. But things are always changing in life and maybe some day the situation there will improve. Having said that, the "Basses" section there is often pretty good as well as a few other sections. Sometimes it's about the only way to find info on certain basses, etc.

[quote name='Austin7' timestamp='1330978673' post='1565781']
I agree with the statement that it "must be a tough world living in mother's basement" and with your statements, too. There are many positive things about TB, but especially in the last year things have taken a turn for the worse. Although the mods are great, I'd say there are just too many problems there for humans to solve in any meaningful way. But things are always changing in life and maybe some day the situation there will improve. Having said that, the "Basses" section there is often pretty good as well as a few other sections. Sometimes it's about the only way to find info on certain basses, etc.
[/quote]

I quite agree! I remember a quite few years back when I was quite a bit more impetuous, I replied to a thread that had been started about Bill Dickens saying that a recent video I'd watched sounded like someone 'throwing an 10 string bass down some stairs'. My post wasn't worded maliciously (although very poorly thought out and very tongue in cheek), but almost immediately my post was edited by moderators and I was given a 'warning' saying that further replies like that would see me banned. I was younger at the time and probably looking to cause a bit of a stir but at the end of the day, it was just an opinion. I saw similar heavy handedness with opinions being used elsewhere. Add to that everyone being so incredibly sycophantic to the mods, it made for a general lack a broad opinion and a very close-minded type of forum that was no fun to use.

I actually happened to speak to some incredibly helpful individuals on TB, but I almost never find myself using it anymore and I never post there. To much silly mob mentality and way too much sucking up, not enough opinion on what really matters music wise from a bass player's perspective. I'm sure the majority of the users don't 'live in their parent's basement' but some people over there obviously like to hammer out their obnoxious opinions without any real knowledge of subject matter 'X' from the safety of their swivel-chair and behind their ergonomic keyboards. A proper hobbyist's forum I suppose! We're obviously all hobbyists here too, but this is a much more vibrant place to be where opinions can be challenged, and you can actually have a decent conversation without psuedoscience and popular opinion getting in the way.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1330979667' post='1565813']
I quite agree! I remember a quite few years back when I was quite a bit more impetuous, I replied to a thread that had been started about Bill Dickens saying that a recent video I'd watched sounded like someone 'throwing an 10 string bass down some stairs'. My post wasn't worded maliciously (although very poorly thought out and very tongue in cheek), but almost immediately my post was edited by moderators and I was given a 'warning' saying that further replies like that would see me banned. I was younger at the time and probably looking to cause a bit of a stir but at the end of the day, it was just an opinion. I saw similar heavy handedness with opinions being used elsewhere. Add to that everyone being so incredibly sycophantic to the mods, it made for a general lack a broad opinion and a very close-minded type of forum that was no fun to use.

I actually happened to speak to some incredibly helpful individuals on TB, but I almost never find myself using it anymore and I never post there. To much silly mob mentality and way too much sucking up, not enough opinion on what really matters music wise from a bass player's perspective. I'm sure the majority of the users don't 'live in their parent's basement' but some people over there obviously like to hammer out their obnoxious opinions without any real knowledge of subject matter 'X' from the safety of their swivel-chair and behind their ergonomic keyboards. A proper hobbyist's forum I suppose! We're obviously all hobbyists here too, but this is a much more vibrant place to be where opinions can be challenged, and you can actually have a decent conversation without psuedoscience and popular opinion getting in the way.
[/quote]

You're right. I honestly bear no ill will toward the place, but like you said, it's just not any fun over there anymore. Yesterday, I was helping a friend who needed to find info on a bass she wanted to buy. She needed the info quickly and due to various reasons, just couldn't look it up the way I could. I checked TB and did find a few things. But I ended up finding by far the most valuable info on BassChat.

Guys sorry there has been some new developments in this crazy adventure and I really can't get into it at the moment until I see where it is going to go, Turns out one of the members at TB did decide to contact the family, so I am trying to see where things are going to go and then I will come back and post again.

So far so good I have talked to the daughter twice and it seems everything wil have a happy ending for all parties involved.

I will update asap.