Why become a member? ×

Simple Question

Schnozzalee

2 basses and a good quality low watt amp.

Because low watt aren't that low these days (or low could mean valves :) ) and if going through a PA wil prob be DIed anyway.

one bass swapped for a custom high watt amp.... actually thinking about it the only custom amps tend to be nice valve jobbies.... so I guess if your sound needed one and you couldn't get it with the wee amp I could see the reasoning.

Currently I have two basses and one good quality amp with enough wattage. thats a good mix.

Two guitars/bases and one amp. Lived with "big" wattage valve guitar and bass amps for years, so know how inflexible those can be. These days, in my world, when it comes to amps small is beautiful. Probably why I just acquired one of the Marshall 50th anniversary 1 watt 60s reissue heads. Perfect for recording and practising.

This kinda sounds like one of those 'do you believe in pissing contests as a way of sorting the men from the women?' questions.

I Have 2 (relatively low wattage) amps, but they're both PJB's and hence:

a. Very expensive for their rated power; and

b. Very high quality.

In addition, both have proper DI out so for FOH I can have as much power as I need; and as a bonus both record extremely well.

Power isn't everything in an amp, any more than speed is in a car. To think so is, in my humble opinion, just a little bit juvenile. (No offence intended towards the OP by the way, just answering the question). As to number of basses vs. number of amps, well I'm in the fortunate position of not having to make the choice. If I were I'd sacrifice one of the amps because to me they're just tools, whereas a choice of good basses never does any harm.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1329506173' post='1543667']
What would you prefer?

2 high quality guitars/basses and a good quality low wattage amp

OR

1 high quality guitar/bass, a good quality low wattage amp and a custom high wattage amp

???
[/quote]

I have the 2nd option, but more by accident than design.