Why become a member? ×

21 or 24 frets ???

Chris Horton

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1329560816' post='1544196']
I think it is a case of if you have to ask, then it doesn't make a lot of difference to you.
I've gone back to 21 after 24...and either isn't a deal breaker, IMV.
[/quote]

I'm with you on this.
My main bass has 24 and although I only play up the very top on a couple of songs its nice to have that range available.

[quote name='paul_c2' timestamp='1329565341' post='1544277']
I have 2 basses and had to take a look at the fretless to remind myself how many frets it has - 24.
[/quote]

Erm....Surely that should be....None!

The thing with 24 fret basses is that they usually hang off the shoulder differently so the 12 fret comes straight up under your hand rather than across the body. I've always found Fender type basses to be very difficult to play up high because you are reaching across your body to get to the higher notes. On top of that the lack of cutaway makes the higher notes difficult to access even when you DO reach up there...

[quote name='guildbass' timestamp='1329574594' post='1544420']
Erm....Surely that should be....None!

The thing with 24 fret basses is that they usually hang off the shoulder differently so the 12 fret comes straight up under your hand rather than across the body. I've always found Fender type basses to be very difficult to play up high because you are reaching across your body to get to the higher notes. On top of that the lack of cutaway makes the higher notes difficult to access even when you DO reach up there...
[/quote]

Well yes, but you know what I mean. I guess we should say "2 octave neck" or "1octave + minor 6th" neck, or something like that. Can't really call them positions because the positions don't correspond with the fret number (do they? They don't on violin or cello etc).

Don't some fretless basses have 1 fret, at the head???

[quote name='paul_c2' timestamp='1329575179' post='1544426']
Well yes, but you know what I mean. I guess we should say "2 octave neck" or "1octave + minor 6th" neck, or something like that. Can't really call them positions because the positions don't correspond with the fret number (do they? They don't on violin or cello etc).

Don't some fretless basses have 1 fret, at the head???
[/quote]
Oh I dunno!...Maybe!... I don't think mine does though. In my head is a 2 octave neck or ...It isn't. I never know about frets but the Warwick has a full 2 octave neck and the Spector is, I think, one fret short of 2 octaves...

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1329587704' post='1544646']
I understand why one might call a 24 fret neck a two octave neck but surely of more interest is how many octaves are available across the instrument.

So for a 21 fret 4-string neck that would be three octaves.
[/quote]

But that doesn't fit, because you don't need frets to create some higher notes, just know where the harmonics are. My 4 string, 20 fret Jazz copy can achieve 5 octaves, for example, the same as my 24 fret fretless.

[quote name='paul_c2' timestamp='1329588469' post='1544663']
Ok how about: the neck achieves a 2 octave range and the strings being different achieves a minor 10th range in itself. 5 string and 6 string basses have a bigger range due to the strings, etc.
[/quote]

True, but it's a damn sight easier to just call it '24 frets'... ;)

[quote name='paul_c2' timestamp='1329588350' post='1544660']
But that doesn't fit, because you don't need frets to create some higher notes, just know where the harmonics are. My 4 string, 20 fret Jazz copy can achieve 5 octaves, for example, the same as my 24 fret fretless.
[/quote]
Well, I think it does fit because a 21 fret 4-string neck does cover three octaves in the normal and straightforward sense. Although I'll accept that a range of harmonics (and bends) are also available.

[quote name='paul_c2' timestamp='1329588350' post='1544660']
[/quote]

Yeah but going 'ping ping' on a couple of harmonics isn't the same as playing a groovy riff four octaves above where you are rooted...:-)

Edited by guildbass

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1329504865' post='1543635']
Only of interest if you spend a lot of time up the dusty end, soloing and such.

If you spend your time nearer the nut (like me) then it's irrelevant whether a bass has 21 or 24 frets. The number of strings is irrelevant too.

All IMHO of course - others may think differently.
[/quote]

HJ is correct.

i have 21 frets and only had need to go 'up there' once. the old prog band did one tune in which i had need of that high E. and only once at that. and i eventually stopped going up and went down instead, which sounded better.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1329525407' post='1543987']
I do go up the 'dusty end' (mostly out of sheer bl**dy mindedness :lol:) but by the time you're up at the 24th fret the whole thing is just nonsense anyway.

What [b]is[/b] nice about having 24 frets is that you're left with a sensible space to play in without having to struggle.
[/quote]

Thats a great point , i never thought about it that way.

Thanks everyone for all the great / useful comments .

It has been really interesting to hear opions etc.
I have both 21 & 24 fretted bass guitars. 4 , 5 & 6 strings.
I am no expert solo high end player. I bought a TRB 6 string bass to have ago and explore the high end of the fretboard.
It is really interisting how each bass can sound and feel so different depending on number of frets / neck length etc.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1329570130' post='1544355']
For me the main advantage to having 24 frets is that the heel is moved further up the neck. This is especially important on a bolt-on neck bass. On a typical Fender-style bolt-on neck playing anywhere above the 15th fret is a struggle for me because of the neck joint.
[/quote]

This is what I find - my 24 fret Yamaha basses are much more pleasant at the higher end, even if I'm going nowhere near that 24th fret. The extra room before the heel helps out a lot.

I play almost exclusively short and medium scale 24s and spend a lot of time between 5th and 22nd frets...I don't play in a band (and don't want to - just the very occassional gig when pushed) so simply whiz/fumble around for my own amusement. The benefit of short 24s for me is the very tight spacing on the board. Most of my basses have very narrow nuts and taper too. I picked up a 20 fret P a few weeks ago and was amazed by the stretch (it's probably done me good - the short/medium basses feel like toys now, and extremely easy to play)