Why become a member? ×

anyone ever go back to wood from graphite?

gafbass02

[quote name='gafbass02' post='174046' date='Apr 10 2008, 05:59 PM']i might do that i reckon, im another +1 on the wood fingerboard/graphite neck thang[/quote]
Well, I'm going to hunt for a supplier and see what happens.

And another thing...

Re-frets would be cheaper on Graphite necks with wooden 'boards!
I'm amazed to find anybody else as mental as me, let alone TWO!!

Re; Fret noise and clatter on phenolic boarded necks-

For years I thought it was my dodgy technique. Obviously not! What does strike you is that only the player really seems to hear it, and primarily from the instrument itself. I have a recording (in a band context, but bass clearly audible) made when my Vigier was clanging away with heavy EQ on the bass just where it would be worst.
When it came out of the desk, it just wasn't there at all. No studio jiggery-pokery, just clean and clear!?

And another thing, a wooden fingerboard removes the risk of the neck warping if the phenolic resin recipe isn't stiff enough. So you really DO get the best of both worlds.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='174342' date='Apr 11 2008, 09:11 AM']When it came out of the desk, it just wasn't there at all. No studio jiggery-pokery, just clean and clear!?[/quote]
Does your rig have a tweeter or HF horn?

Yes, my rig has an HF horn. My 4x10 has an attenuator, but my 2x10 doesn't. In the aforementioned studio episode, I was monitoring via headphones and the sound was 100% DI'ed.
The drummer was playing in the same room, and the LF from the cabs was setting his snare a-quivering in the quiet bits. The master volume was zeroed, to silence the cabs, and the input gain was left as was. I still heard an felt the clanging, yet on playback, it wasn't there. We were using Yamaha NS 1000Ms as Mid-field monitors in the control room, so the overall mix didn't lack HF, either... and the engineer hadn't backed-off the top end on my channel!?

I was thinking that if you were using a tweeter in your rig, there was a chance it might actually be centred close to the clattering frequencies on your fingerboard. The other thing is that if your engineer was putting your track through a compressor, that might have also tamed your bass a little.

Tweeters and horns left unattenuated can make the already edgy sound of phenolic boarded basses unduly "brittle" sounding...
As for the compression, there wasn't much on there. Just a smidge to round out the sound rather than tame peaks/troughs in my playing (I don't use one myself during practise, so I have to exercise a measure of dynamic control!!)

Compression would PROBABLY increase the likelyhood of seeing it. I think its possible that what your hearing doesnt actually get picked up from the pickups and because you feel it too your more likely to notice?

How does tapping compare between graphite and wood?

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='173796' date='Apr 10 2008, 11:31 AM']Personally, having basses with;

A Maple Neck and Phenolic 'board,
The Vigier with its 10/90 neck and Phenolic 'board,
Numerous Wooden items (!),

And having played Statii, Modulii (sic), Ped and the Doc's S2 Vigiers, Cutlasses etc. with their all-graphite necks, what I'd like is....

A Graphite necked instrument with a wooden fretboard. Especially a fretless with an ebony fingerboard or a fretted with Wenge...

Stability & neutrality from the neck. Warmth from the fretboard... Anybody? or am I totally mental?![/quote]

Modulus with a Chechen fretboard ?.