Why become a member? ×

Sell me a compressor !

jjay69

Im not a big fan of effects, i think they make you (probably me) a lazy player, for years i've just plugged a lead into the amp for some true tone. Playing with effects imo seems mainly to cover up your true ability and allows you to get away with a lot more. Each time i try a pedal all that happens is the sound i like and can hear dissapears and is replaced by something else, usually lost in the mix, when i switch it back off it feels a bit like losing an arm, so i'd rather do without and try to do my very best using touch and tone directly from my fingers, concentrating on each note..

Saying all that im considering getting a compressor, but if im honest im not 100% sure what it will do for me, hopefully it will balance the sound from my Active Jazz so that when i "dance" off the octaves the D + G strings will sound equally as punchy as the E + A, if this makes sense.

So go on, somebody explain exactly what a compressor will do for me and should i invest. Sell me a compressor

with your wordsmithmanship !!!

[color=#696969](am looking at an EBS multicomp btw)[/color]

[color=#000000]Oh i should add i have a DOD envelope filter at home, it was a great novelty, but went the way of the others and sat on the shelf for about 3 years now, might put it up for sale.[/color][color=#696969].[/color]

Edited by jjay69

A compressor, if set up properly can do any of a lot of things for you (set up dependant), including, but not limited to:-[list]
[*]Even out the apparent volume in a mix of different strings (better fixed with the instrumetns setup/string gauges IMO)
[*]Even out the apparent volume in a mix of different techniques (ie make it so that tapping is as loud as fingerstyle in the mix)
[*]Help win the 'volume war' in a mix between bass/kick/snare - often by keeping the bass louder after the initial transient, such that it can be heard without fighting the kick and snare in the same way, that is to say the energy of the bass remains after the energy of the other instrumetns has disappeared
[*]Smooth the attack (initial transient) of your bass sound - for that deep rich smooth full punchy but not aggressive bass sound
[*]Boost the attack (initial transient) of your bass sound - make your bass sound ultra aggressive and edgy
[*]Make the bass sound darker
[*]Make the bass sound brighter
[*]Increase the level of a sustained note
[*]Decrease the level of a sustained note
[*]Help protect your speakers/amp
[*]Deliver a more consistent level to your fx - this is particularly useful for fx that track your pitch
[*]Improve the way your dynamics are appreciated by the audience - no really, the clues to the dynamics of your playing are as much the difference in the harmonic nature of the initial transient vs the sustain phase. When you pluck hard the initial transient is very bright, when you pluck softly it is very dark. If when you pluck softly you disappear in the mix you just arent heard. If you pluck softly but are heard people will hear you plucking softly. Compressors help you be heard even when you play softly, they dont stop you playing softly or being heard to play softly (psychoacoustics are a hell of a headful)
[*]Give you the feel of a warm tube amp when playing a solid state rig - by dialing in compression similar to that of a tube amp it is possible to make the expereince of a solid state amp feel close to that of a clean tube amp - some people love this
[*]Make your fretless sound like the biggest bass on earth - if you play like Tony LEvin, then maybe....
[*]Make your slap sound totally rad - errrr, not so much....
[/list]
You may also enjoy [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/167088-best-compressor/page__view__findpost__p__1539908"]this post[/url]...

A compressor is a tool for controlling the envelope of your instrument as much as the dynamics.

[quote name='jjay69' timestamp='1329486827' post='1543225']
Im not a big fan of effects, i think they make you (probably me) a lazy player, for years i've just plugged a lead into the amp for some true tone. Playing with effects imo seems mainly to cover up your true ability and allows you to get away with a lot more. Each time i try a pedal all that happens is the sound i like and can hear dissapears and is replaced by something else, usually lost in the mix, when i switch it back off it feels a bit like losing an arm, so i'd rather do without and try to do my very best using touch and tone directly from my fingers, concentrating on each note..

Saying all that im considering getting a compressor, but if im honest im not 100% sure what it will do for me, hopefully it will balance the sound from my Active Jazz so that when i "dance" off the octaves the D + G strings will sound equally as punchy as the E + A, if this makes sense.

So go on, somebody explain exactly what a compressor will do for me and should i invest. Sell me a compressor

with your wordsmithmanship !!!

[color=#696969](am looking at an EBS multicomp btw)[/color]

[color=#000000]Oh i should add i have a DOD envelope filter at home, it was a great novelty, but went the way of the others and sat on the shelf for about 3 years now, might put it up for sale.[/color][color=#696969].[/color]
[/quote]

might help to think of compression as more of a "process" than an effect if that makes sense .
A good one can bring a whisper up to the same level as a shout and not let you hear it working hard.
Some ppl can't tell the difference though between a compressed and uncompressed sound.
Does it have to be in pedal form or would you consider rack too?
Saw a Symetrix 501 go for 125ish on ebay last week they're very good for the money and the rane dc24(?) works well on bass in that price range..
other pedals in that price range
frantone sandwich,diamond bcp1 ,trace smx dual,mxr bass comp.There's also the cali 76 by origin which i was told sounds not very much like an 1176 but is still a good pedal. All worth checking out.

[quote name='jjay69' timestamp='1329488366' post='1543263']
Phew, i just had my lunch so my guts are sorted, but my brain is now on full gorge mode, maybe it needs compressing too.. :blink:

No thanks, again v useful, lm almost sold but keep em coming ..
[/quote]

You Without compressor > < You With Compressor

I do like a compressor :)

Although they all more or less do a similar thing, they can be quite different beasts, an old Boss CS-1 and a EBS MultiComp are worlds apart.

I see you are in London, if you are anywhere near me you are welcome to borrow a a compressor for a couple of days to see if it's for you or not.

As mentioned above the Ovnilab web site is packed full of info and reviews.

I use the EBS Multicomp, and am very happy with it. I`m not a technical person by any means, so all I do is adjust the settings til it does what I`m after, which is largely, get a good thick punchy sound on the D & G from the amp, whilst using the EBS to eliminate excess boom on the E & A. It does this, so I`m happy. I`m sure it can do a lot more, but for what I want out of it, it`s great - I get a nice evenness across the strings, plenty of presence, and without surplus boom.

Guys thanks for the input and masses of information, Lozz
[quote]get a good thick punchy sound on the D & G from the amp, whilst using the EBS to eliminate excess boom on the E & A. It does this, so I`m happy. I`m sure it can do a lot more, but for what I want out of it, it`s great - I get a nice evenness across the strings, plenty of presence, and without surplus boom[/quote]
This is pretty much exactly what i am trying to achieve, lose the boom keep the punch so you've reassured me there.

[quote]I see you are in London, if you are anywhere near me you are welcome to borrow a a compressor for a couple of days to see if it's for you or not[/quote]
Rumple i nearly took you up on this one thanks, but the trip on the motorbikes to south London never happened on the weekend. Though i did get to Denmark street (only a bus ride away) and had a go on an RC3 Loop station ! what fun, a serious contendor 1!

And as for this
[quote]You Without compressor > < You With Compressor
[/quote]

Sheer Genii, who said bass players were unimaginitive !!

So do i bite the bullet ? lets see what the London Bass Show brings

I've tried to avoid using compression since switching from Ashdown to Ampeg.

I found that the Ashdown needed taming somewhat in the low-end, so compression was useful (and spared me glaring looks from the drummer). But now I prefer the natural sound of the Ampeg, and don't feel the need to control the dynamics quite as drastically as I was previously.

So now my Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor is up for sale. It's a great bit of kit but I just don't want to go back to over complicating my rig after minimising it!

• 2 weeks later...

Try the Origin effects Cali 76 it is as close to the best vintage studio compressers ever produced. For what you get the price is very reasonable a mate of mine got one, I have tried borrowing it from him but I never have it for more than a day before he is asking for it back, I used to used an ebs but the quality of this especially when recording is just a dream, I'm getting one next pay check if I still have the funds.

People will say it's not a great compressor as the controls are a bit limited but the inbuilt compressor on my tecamp head is pretty good. one knob and a button for attack. Used with the Eq it's quite good as part of tone shaping. It's rarely off now.

Well im no connoisseur and perhaps too much tech on compressors is wasted on me, anyway im kitted up now, got one off here BC Alanbass, what a splendid chap, Aguilar TLC. Not really used it in anger yet just at home, will have a proper try next week, but so far i seem to like it. The first thing i notice is that i can crack on and play without having to think too much about my right hand and varying the power im putting in, i can dig in happily knowing im not going to spike and offend. It almost feels like it frees up a few cc's of brain power that can be put to better use elsewhere, but it's early days of course..

• 1 month later...

[quote name='abrahamsm' timestamp='1330723951' post='1562342']
Try the Origin effects Cali 76 it is as close to the best vintage studio compressers ever produced. For what you get the price is very reasonable a mate of mine got one, I have tried borrowing it from him but I never have it for more than a day before he is asking for it back, I used to used an ebs but the quality of this especially when recording is just a dream, I'm getting one next pay check if I still have the funds.
[/quote]

I got one last week and it's a great piece of gear. I have only had the chance to use it in one rehearsal, but I really like how it works, I'm looking forward to using it live and in the studio.

I think a lot of people use compression without realising it. Most amps will compress if driven, even if the preamp only is driven, many refer to it as the sweet spot on the gain control, just before it starts distorting... Also, many amps have a limiter. Part of the 'Ampeg' sound that many people crave involves a driven preamp (compression) as well as a power amp limiter (extreme compression). At least with a dedicated compressor you get more control over the attack and amount of compression.

Anyone recording to tape, if you keep the levels high, you'll get some lovely tape compression to smooth things out. Although most don't use analog tape these days, ask yourself why there are plugins like Magneto around that emulate the tape compression..

Compression is not really an 'effect' although it can be used as one. I see it as an essential part of the signal chain.
Most of your favourite old recordings will have a bass that has probably been compressed quite a few times on its way to your ear in fact.

I've gone from using one to not using one too many times too count. But now that I'm playinmg 80% with a pick it helps a thousand times better than with my fingers.

Does exactly what everyone else said it does. The hard part is finding the right one for you.
I don't think mine is out there, but the T-rex squeezer I'm using now is fantastic, it's not perfect (level knob seems obsolete in some settings)

When you find the right one it's a keeper.