Why become a member? ×

The Advent of Punk - Good or Bad Thing?

Low End Bee

• 3 weeks later...

For me Punk was (is) more about attitude than the music, it was a collective feeling people had that things could change (for the better), it also broke down racism to some degree, gave people the idea and motivation... anyone can do it! It had spin-offs in fashion, art etc that we still see today, that all has to be a positive thing.
As has been said and I agree it's pretty hard to label the early punk music as a certain type of sound but you can certainly see an attitude.. from the Jam to the Pistols, Clash, Damned etc.
I'd say the youth gave it a pretty good go from 76-80.. for me it all got old hat very quickly after that once Punk became a uniform and simply relied on how fast you could play.

Yep, the "2nd wave" of punk, such as GBH, Discharge, Exploited etc never really found me, aside from a couple of singles I liked. And the look was so much better in the earlier era, rather than obligatory mohicans and studded leather jackets. Nothing wrong with either, but when at gigs that`s all you saw, it took away the originality. Now Monsieur Rotten, in his Teddy Boy outfit - that was punk, as were the mohair jumpers of Captain Sensible.

Well I listen to and play a lot of punk... so yes. It also influenced a heck of a lot of music; which I'm sure many of you listen to and it also inspired people to play. Most music has a positive impact in one way or another, it creates thought. There's probably people picking up instruments every day because they believe they can "do better" then, for example music on the radio to generalise.

Punk also created a scene for people which felt out of place. An attitude, music scene, fashion and friendships.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1329237221' post='1539352']
This ability thing worries me.
I can enjoy a 2 minute Lurkers thrash equally as much as a 10 minute Gentle Giant track. Both songs will be played to suit their context.
Maybe the Lurkers have more 'ability' as they can get the job done quicker?
[/quote]

Ah [url="http://www.punk77.co.uk/groups/lurkers.htm"] The Lurkers.[/url] I remember seeing them when i was a skinny youth of 16 freshly expelled from School. In the Spring of 1979, touring their Fulham Fallout LP, on a very small nightclub stage in Chester. Fantastic live band. The drummer Esso also wrote quite an interesting book about it all.

IMHO anyone who states that there were no really good punk bands, simply doesn't know enough about it.

Edited by daz

Punk was an always be a huge part of my life and my lifestyle. It defines who I am, the way I think and the way I live my life.

They say necessity is the mother of invention, well at the time (76-77) its exactly what was needed. Granted there were some fantastic bands around at that time, but punk seemed to sum up the general feeling of resentment felt at the time (as did reggae). Most TV documentaries will have you believe punk died in 1978 which is a complete load of cobblers. By the 1980's it was probably at it most interesting time. All the posers, fakes and art-students had moved onto the next big trend and punk went underground. This was a time when some of the best punk bands came to the fore.

So in answer to the question was the advent of punk a good or bad thing - in my opinion it was a natural reaction to the social and political situation as well the music around at the time.

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1331410689' post='1572628']IMHO anyone who states that there were no really good punk bands, simply doesn't know enough about it.
[/quote]

^^^^ Is the right answer !

It was that good, I`m going to see a punk band this eve - The Informers, at The Wheatsheaf in Leighton Buzzard. Without punk, there wouldn`t be quality (covers) bands like these guys playing those great songs on a good Friday night out.

Now some may say that they are copping out, and punk was all about not copying others etc, but my view to that is, I`m happy to go and see/hear bands playing all those fantastic 3 minute pop songs, full of energy, and great fun as well.

If you look at Punk has just music then you are way off the mark. Punks legacy in more than that.

Punk brought music back to the working class person The major bands in the 70s lived lavish and excessive life styles and had nothing in common with the disillusioned youth while the larger than life glam rock stars and bands like Slade, Sweet and Garry Glitter were far removed from reality. Kids could not afford to see bands so they made their own music scene, kids couldn't afford fashion so they made a DIY fashion that everybody could do and afford, Kids felt that they didn't have a voice soy the wrote songs.
Punk’s anti-establishment philosophy was born out of anger and frustration and was quickly caught on by disillusioned working-class teenagers who identified with its anarchical message and radical DIY approach to punk and the idea that anyone could form a band or start an independent record label or fanzine. I am not saying Punk invent anything, working class kids formed bands and there were independent labels but after punk anybody could do it/
The fact that many of us picked up an instrument and formed a band means that, like it or not Punk has had a influence on us

[quote name='Fuzzbass2000' timestamp='1329528577' post='1544016']
love the bass playing on the 1st Rezillos Album
[/quote]

I'd say this is perhaps the best bass playing found on any of the early punk albums. And this is coming from a Stranglers fan. William Mysterious makes it all sound so easy :-) The way he puts in little accents and stops along with the runs is amazing. 35 years later I still marvel at the bass playing on Can't Stand The Rezillos.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1331379121' post='1572063']it also broke down racism to some degree[/quote]

Yes it did to a certain extent. but at the same time, no it didn't - the Oi! movement soon pegged off a bit later on and bands like Skrewdriver certainly weren't really into positive race relations.