Why become a member? ×

JACK BRUCE on TV.....

Jazzneck

Yep I'm not gonna miss this. I'm a huge fan of Mr Bruce. Saw him play at my local in 80's. Absolutely huge sound enough so that for the first time the police dropped in to tell him to restrict the volume. It could be heard 0.5mile away at the police station apparently.
Of course it was a very sunny hot night and all the venue windows were wide open. Yes we do get the occasional hot day up here in sunny scotland.
From memory i think Clem Clempson on guitar and Simon Kirke i think on drums circa 82'.

Probably one of the reasons i bought my Thumb NT in 89' when Jack was endorsing them.
Still couldn't play like him and he sings too. :angry: :lol: :D

Aaah the good old days.

Dave

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1329087079' post='1537118']
Just watched a clip from the programme advert of him doing Theme From An Imaginary Western, what a song and what a voice the man still has.

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00nrcfb"]BBC Artworks[/url]
[/quote]
Very good, thanks for the link.

[quote name='Austin7' timestamp='1329171094' post='1538420']
I'm very impressed with Jack Bruce and always have been. His singing is as good as his bass playing, too.
[/quote]
I believe his singing outweighs his bass playing, well his fretless work anyway :huh: . Love the man's voice.

Thanks for the link. looking forward to it tonight with a Warwick in my hands :)

Edited by leftyhook

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1329234962' post='1539275']
Who is Jack Bruce

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Very funny. Seriously, though, I bought my first "Bass Player" magazine around 2001 and Jack Bruce was on the cover. The magazine received several letters from younger bassists complaining that an unknown bassist was on the cover.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1329236156' post='1539323']
I believe his singing outweighs his bass playing, well his fretless work anyway :huh: . Love the man's voice.

Thanks for the link. looking forward to it tonight with a Warwick in my hands :)
[/quote]

An argument could be made for that, although I've encountered people who also didn't like his voice. As is the case with many people, what I like best is what he did with Cream playing the EB-3. I'm in the minority in that I actually like the loud, growling, muddy 60s TONE of that, though.

Edited by Austin7

[quote name='Austin7' timestamp='1329236652' post='1539334']
An argument could be made for that, although I've encountered people who also didn't like his voice. As is the case with many people, what I like best is what he did with Cream playing the EB-3. I'm in the minority in that I actually like the loud, growling, muddy 60s sound of that.
[/quote]

Agreed. It's the no-frills (no choice back then)EB-3 approach, like my all time favourite, Andy Fraser, though 'honky' instead of 'muddy'.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1329236824' post='1539338']
Agreed. It's the no-frills (no choice back then)EB-3 approach, like my all time favourite, Andy Fraser, though 'honky' instead of 'muddy'.
[/quote]

Yes, it's probably true "muddy" is used too much, often in a negative way, when it's debatable how accurate the term is anyway. Andy Fraser is a great example. I was also thinking of him when I was thinking of how to describe how I liked a bass to sound.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1329138102' post='1537588']
Yep I'm not gonna miss this. I'm a huge fan of Mr Bruce. Saw him play at my local in 80's. Absolutely huge sound enough so that for the first time the police dropped in to tell him to restrict the volume. It could be heard 0.5mile away at the police station apparently.
Of course it was a very sunny hot night and all the venue windows were wide open. Yes we do get the occasional hot day up here in sunny scotland.
From memory i think Clem Clempson on guitar and Simon Kirke i think on drums circa 82'.

Probably one of the reasons i bought my Thumb NT in 89' when Jack was endorsing them.
Still couldn't play like him and he sings too. :angry: :lol: :D

Aaah the good old days.

Dave
[/quote]

Going to watch it tonight or tomorrow - I also saw him at a local venue( Chequers Niteclub) my memory was that it was the drummer from Blondie who played with him then - I reckon it was the early '80's too. he was making jokes about California - The Sunshine Village -an ex mining village closeby!!

[quote name='Austin7' timestamp='1329236652' post='1539334']
As is the case with many people, what I like best is what he did with Cream playing the EB-3. I'm in the minority in that I actually like the loud, growling, muddy 60s TONE of that, though.
[/quote]

I'm in that minority too.
Still have my battered 64 EB3, but like to use my Epiphone Elite (with original humbucker fitted for nostalgia) nowadays.

The minority is growing.