Why become a member? ×

Rockbass and OLP

Evening guys n gals

I'm curretnly looking for a back up bass as im putting my Fender in to have a big of work done on it and I'm going to be in need of a back up bass. I've got a budget of about £350 max so I've been looking at Rockbass, OLP's, Squiers and few other brands.

I'm in need of some advice when it comes to OLP and Rockbass; I haven't come across either in shops so I was wondering if they're actually any good seeing as theyre both so cheap, or do you get what you pay for?

Any other recommendations on basses around this price range are welcome!

Thanks in advance

Will

After a bit of a setup my OLP now plays and sounds just fine. In fact if your interested drop me a PM!

Also Had a few nice experiences with rockbass instruments too! I dont think you can go wrong really, so long as you know (someone that knows) how to adjust action and tweak the truss rod accordingly there not bad instruments at all.

[quote name='WithoutRisk_BassPlayer' post='170867' date='Apr 6 2008, 07:13 PM']Evening guys n gals

I'm curretnly looking for a back up bass as im putting my Fender in to have a big of work done on it and I'm going to be in need of a back up bass. I've got a budget of about £350 max so I've been looking at Rockbass, OLP's, Squiers and few other brands.

I'm in need of some advice when it comes to OLP and Rockbass; I haven't come across either in shops so I was wondering if they're actually any good seeing as theyre both so cheap, or do you get what you pay for?

Any other recommendations on basses around this price range are welcome!

Thanks in advance

Will[/quote]

Hi i work in bass merchant. Olp are cool for the cash as are rockbass, but he has in a lovely mex p bass at 319. This particular one has great low action and feels really nice to me anyway. OLP are cool looking and sound good, but they can lose it in the mix, as they are not too powerful on sound, but the rockbass is a little better. Dean do good basses in that price range as wel.

I've played an MM22 a couple of times (the Sterling version with active preamp & twin humbuckers) against a lot more expensive basses at Electro music. I'm talking high Sandbergs, Laklands, Fenders, etc., and the damned thing played better and sounded better than the lot of them. I had to really stop myself from buying it, as it's an amazing bass for the money. I'll agree the passive OLP's are a little weak on output, but this MM22 is an absolute monster!

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='charic' post='171091' date='Apr 6 2008, 11:59 PM']Just get a 2nd hander off here! Sod buying new :)[/quote]
exactly.

And you certainly shouldn't overlook the big Jap names; Yamaha (as mentioned) and Ibanez. Very well put together mid priced instruments are available from both of these which easily compete with (outperform IMHO) OLP, Rockbass and Squier.

The biggest selling point for the OLP/Rockbasses etc. is that they look like their big brothers. If you can see past that there are some stunning offerings from Yamaha and Ibanez.

Hi
I have a Rockbass Corvette active as my spare bass - bought it about 4 years ago. I went out intending to get a MIM Fender Jazz, but I just prefered the feel and playability of the Rockbass. It's pretty loud and certainly makes it's prescence felt when I use it with my band (3 piece rock outfit).
I've tried out a couple of OLPs and they seem pretty good too.

But I also agree with the "Buy secondhand" advice - that's how I got most of my other stuff!

Dave

I've got an OLP Tony Levin bass, which I got new for £230 (inc P&P and a reasonable gig bag). I find the playability very good on it, and the construction is pretty good as well.

For the money you're talking about spending (£350) there's shedloads of choice: Squire Vintage Modified, Schecter, Dean, Ibanez, Yamaha, Peavey, G&L Tribute, Fender (Mexican)... to name but a few that spring to mind.

As stated by others on this thread, you'll get a better bass if you opt for a secondhand one.
Buying from someone on this forum offers a certain amount of buyer protection I feel.

Yep, loads of bargains in the second hand section, even try evilbay. You could easily pickup a second hand Mexican Fender for a couple of hundred quid and use the difference to replace some of the weaker elements, such as bridge and pickups. There was even a Highway 1 that went for £300. Squier VMs are very good too, as are some of the OLPs. I personally like Andy67s Squier VM TB, which for £175 gets you the bass with a DiMarzio pickup, Schaller tuners, Fender deluxe thru string bridge and a gig bag, AND it's delivered! If I wasn't so skint I'd have had it already. As you can see, it's in my wish list :)

Edited by jono b

OLP and Rockbass are both good value for money. But if you like the Stingray vibe, you can get a new Ibanez ATK for a little over £300. They are phenominal basses for the money - I've owned Fenders, Warwicks and a Stingray, and IMO the ATK can hold its own in that sort of company. They're certainly closer to a Stingray than the passive OLPs (never played an active OLP so can't really comment on them).

Edited by simon1964