Why become a member? ×

Any experts on Fender bridges - do they ever have allen bolts rather than screws for height adjustment?

molan

Basically I've just bought a supposedly genuine Fender bridge for a 70's bass & it's turned up with allen key adjusters for bridge height.

I know that a 70's Fender would have had screws so it's not as advertised. I'd also like to know if it's even a genuine Fender part - all my current Fenders have screw height adjustment (but the newest one is '78!).

If they have had allen keys it would be useful to know roughly when they were introduced and/or if it's only on certain models etc.

My '78 has screws, my late 80s Japs all have allen keys... I think they're metric too but I might be wrong (plus it's possible my bridges aren't genuine, they were all second hand basses). I know the US Fender bridges I've encountered have needed different sized allen keys, pretty sure they've always been on 80s or later.

I'm by no means an expert but most of the 70s bridges I've seen have had quite a rough chrome finish, even when polished they don't seem to have a mirrored surface. It might be age but I'm pretty sure they're worse than 60s ones.

Basically if your 70s bridge looks like a quality item I'd be suspicious.

Edited by Fat Rich

My trusty Fender Bass Illustrated History book states that the standard bridge for 1972 - 1982 has screws for height adjustment. A slight crossover was the 1969 - 1973 bridge again with screws for height adjustment, but the G had a longer intonation screw.

Allen key adjustments started in 1981 on Precision Specials, and on some custom upgraded Jazzes.

So I think the item bought is not authentic.

Excellent, thanks guys :)

I tried workin this out by scanning the web and had seemed to have narrowed it down to post '83 (but only because of image sizes and stuff).

The seller said the bridge wa removed from a '73 but has now acknowledged that it could have been added at a later date.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1328634479' post='1530434']
My '78 has screws, my late 80s Japs all have allen keys... I think they're metric too but I might be wrong (plus it's possible my bridges aren't genuine, they were all second hand basses). I know the US Fender bridges I've encountered have needed different sized allen keys....

Basically if your 70s bridge looks like a quality item I'd be suspicious.
[/quote]

:lol: @ the last statement.
AFAIK, All MIA basses were (and are still) imperial. My 2004 Jazz is - both Truss rod and saddle grub screws.
My Squier VMJ is all metric, as are Fender MIJ / CIJ
As for the Mexican variants, I really don't know... though I seem to recall one I tweaked for someone 15+ years ago being metric..