Why become a member? ×

I sold my SVT last night

Clarky72

Last night I sold my beloved Ampeg SVT-HD Skunkworks. I don't use it so much anymore and it's just gathering dust. It needed to be freed, let out to rock once more instead of being caged up at home. I sold on dreaded eBay, but it went to a guy who messaged to say how excited he was as he already had one of the 500 already.

This is great I thought, imagine the fat dirty rig he's going to have, one clean, one distorted, it's going to tear someone's face off when that's all hooked up! Awesome. He came over to pick it up and he is in fact a collector, he doesn't think it'll get much big gig use, and the thought of hooking the pair up with a pair of 810's hadn't even occurred to him.

I almost wanted to give him his money back, I feel like I've just handed my SVT it's death certificate. It's now going to sit in a little room, maybe overlooked and left to die one day :(

Or preserved until one day when it will be free to sing again...
At least its not gone to someone who doesn't realise what they have and is going to wreck it playing in some indie band with wholly inappropriate cabs and probably nothing more than a plastic bag to protect it from the rigours of the road. This happened to my old SWR rig, the amp died, I got the cab back but it is scarred and was very upset by the whole ordeal.

Hopefully it will be preserved, rather than left to die.

Sounds like you had a mare with your SWR gear Bren!

I loaned an old Marshall Guv'nor pedal to my guitarist, who is my best mate, I know what he's like though, I should have asked for it back after a few days. I got it back about 6 months later after being left in a garage and all the pots had seized... :(

I got a bit sentimental about my old Fender Jazz when I sold it. I worked all summer when I was 15 to be able to afford it but after 7 years of playing it at hundreds and hundreds of gigs, it wasn't doing what I wanted it to anymore so I got rid of it. I do sometimes think about how it might be getting on.

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1328629618' post='1530310']
Hows that Bass Juice pedal? I was thinking of trying one out...
[/quote]
Creamy :) although not been using it since I've had the use of the DHA.
I tried a bunch of overdrives and fuzzes out (Bass Muff, MXR, White finger?) in the shop and this one seemed to have the best control. You can balance the fuzz and mix it in with the clean sound to get filthy fuzz or just a mild overdriven sort of sound. For the money too its a damn good pedal. It also has a second boost which I've found really helpful when you need to go just one louder for a bit :)

Hopefully your imminent delivery will remove your post sale dissonance and your back will thank you for it!

Some gear you bond with, some you don't. I definitely do not miss using my Hartke Amp, it was a good amp and it has served me well, but it has no soul. My Sabre bass on the other hand has been an absolute bitch to me on occasions but I would never get rid.... I think you have to live with gear quite a while before you become emotionally attached to it

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1328633558' post='1530408']
Some gear you bond with, some you don't. I definitely do not miss using my Hartke Amp, it was a good amp and it has served me well, but it has no soul. My Sabre bass on the other hand has been an absolute bitch to me on occasions but I would never get rid.... I think you have to live with gear quite a while before you become emotionally attached to it
[/quote]+1

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1328633558' post='1530408']
[/quote]
Definitely. I`ve had loads of quality gear, but the two basses I think about fondly are my Fender 51 Reissue, and my Gibson Les Paul. Neither were right for my playing, but I just, well, liked them - gut feeling etc.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1328685046' post='1531018']
Definitely. I`ve had loads of quality gear, but the two basses I think about fondly are my Fender 51 Reissue, and my Gibson Les Paul. Neither were right for my playing, but I just, well, liked them - gut feeling etc.
[/quote]

There's something special about LesPaul basses, loved mine. Retroman (here on BC) has mine now. It just wasn't right for me either, but it sounded and looked amazing.

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1328629559' post='1530308']

I loaned an old Marshall Guv'nor pedal to my guitarist, who is my best mate, I know what he's like though, I should have asked for it back after a few days. I got it back about 6 months later after being left in a garage and all the pots had seized... :(
[/quote]

Hopefully we'll sort that out! :)

Si

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1328694430' post='1531131']
There's something special about LesPaul basses, loved mine. Retroman (here on BC) has mine now. It just wasn't right for me either, but it sounded and looked amazing.
[/quote]
I've always wanted a LP bass, but every time i've gone to the shop, cash in pocket, and tried the selection they have just not felt quite right. I even bought a Thunderbird one of these times and hated it from the first gig! Funny isn't it, almost every time I've bought a Gibson/Epiphone bass it has been passed on within the year.
One bass I did gig with for quite some time was an Antoria EB-3 copy, I really miss that bass. I replaced it with the genuine article for £££s, but that was pants and went within 6 months.
I'll stick with my Fender/derivatives from now on I think. :rolleyes:

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1328697204' post='1531182']
I've always wanted a LP bass, but every time i've gone to the shop, cash in pocket, and tried the selection they have just not felt quite right. I even bought a Thunderbird one of these times and hated it from the first gig! Funny isn't it, almost every time I've bought a Gibson/Epiphone bass it has been passed on within the year.
One bass I did gig with for quite some time was an Antoria EB-3 copy, I really miss that bass. I replaced it with the genuine article for £££s, but that was pants and went within 6 months.
I'll stick with my Fender/derivatives from now on I think. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I think the flat top/thick body had a lot to do with it. I had a Tbird too for a while, sold that too. Its fine if you're playing below the waist but as soon as you hike it up its near impossible to play and cuts your wrist if you try. Maybe the SG bass would work but I've never tried one...

The 70s Antoria one I had looked just like this. Short scale so easy to fly around and super fat sound from the pickups. But you will not get anywhere near a Fender bass sound with one of these.. The genuine Gibbo one I had was white, and not so friendly. Theres an Epiphone version which is longer scale bizzarely called the EB-3 which is what the Gibson SG Bass used to be called.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1328711728' post='1531498']
The 70s Antoria one I had looked just like this. Short scale so easy to fly around and super fat sound from the pickups. But you will not get anywhere near a Fender bass sound with one of these.. The genuine Gibbo one I had was white, and not so friendly. Theres an Epiphone version which is longer scale bizzarely called the EB-3 which is what the Gibson SG Bass used to be called.
[/quote]

Yeah I saw them, no idea why the Epi ones are 34"scale? Couldn't be arsed to make short scale necks? Actually clean forgot they were meant to be short scale? All possible... I wonder.