Why become a member? ×

Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Tripehound

This Internet thing is all very well but here in Nottingham it's getting very difficult indeed to go into a music shop that carries any range of gear in stock. I went into Millenium the other day - Carlsboro once upon a time - which has always been the city's premier shop. It was a sad shadow of its former glory. Where once there had been a phalanx of 'assistants' who would sit behind the counter studiously ignoring the punters whilst trading fast guitar solos with whichever expensive guitar they'd borrowed, there now sat a bored looking teenager. I may have judged him purely on appearances, which I know is so wrong, but I just felt it probably wasn't worth asking any technical questions. As for gear, a bunch of generic stuff and a few Ashdown amps. Gone was the array of Fenders, Gibsons etc. The upper floors which once held all the techie-type wonders now appear to be closed off.

Depressing.

So is this what happens when everybody starts buying online? That we end up with a few music superstores (PMT etc) which become destination stores - rather like Ikea - plus a few local boutiques? How the hell do you buy anything and touch it first?

I'm moaning because I had to drive all the way to Birmingham to try an Ampeg out (PF500 - very nice) and nobody in a radius of 100 miles seems to have a Fender Bassman TV in stock (2 x 10 or 15) - the amp I really want to have a go on. I'm not parting with that amount of money on the basis of a few YouTube clips.

I'll stop moaning if someone can tell me where to find one....

Just a thought, and I'm not sure it would work, but have you considered contacting Fender in the UK and asking if they can tell you the nearest stockists that might have them in stock?

In the days before computerisation distributors had a pretty good idea of who was likely to have what so it might be a real easy task these days.

mail: [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
tel: 01342 331700

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1328465271' post='1527515']
Just a thought, and I'm not sure it would work, but have you considered contacting Fender in the UK and asking if they can tell you the nearest stockists that might have them in stock?

In the days before computerisation distributors had a pretty good idea of who was likely to have what so it might be a real easy task these days.

mail: [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
tel: 01342 331700
[/quote]

Thanks - I have phoned every major music shop in Notts/Derby and Brum to no avail. Will definitely try that.

I usually go to PMT Oxford if I want to try something (phonig first to see if they have one and can try it).

Failing that, I will phone around Denmark street, then grab a bass and head off to the train station.

It is difficult and I think that in a few years, the manufacturers will just have stores like Sony where you have a look and listen then go away and buy online.

[quote name='Tripehound' timestamp='1328469367' post='1527612']
Thanks - I have phoned every major music shop in Notts/Derby and Brum to no avail. Will definitely try that.
[/quote]

Well if nothing else it'll highlight to Fender that there's a gap in the Midlands that they need to do something about if they expect to sell product through their dealerships.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1328479890' post='1527916']
Well if nothing else it'll highlight to Fender that there's a gap in the Midlands that they need to do something about if they expect to sell product through their dealerships.
[/quote]

Too right - their entire marketing effort on this product range seems to revolve around Mr Ed the Bass Whisperer and mail order....

Straight from the horse's mouth today - I quote:

"The Bassman TV series has now been discontinued, though there is still free stock of both the Bassman TV Twelve and Duo Ten models. Your local dealer would be able to order one in for you and receive it within 5 working days."

No discounts I suppose......

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1328558745' post='1529153']
I think that it might be a sign that there's better gear than the Fender for the same money? :ph34r:
[/quote]

I stand slightly to the aetheist side of agnostic but I do get the feeling sometimes that someone or something is telling me that the Bassman and I are not destined to be together in this life!