Why become a member? ×

Ashdown and Hartke

paulypbass

Hi there been using a Ashdown ABM 500 evo 1 head for a couple of months now during practice with my band and to be onest i'm a little disapointed with it. Personally it just doesnt have the sound i am looking for and it really isnt that loud.

So iv been looking at hartke bass heads and was wondering if there any good and what are they like compared to ashdown amps. iv been intrested in the LH 500 but also liked the look of the HA 350.

What are these amps like. Are they loud?

be great to have some input from you guys

I have a Hartke 350 and it is VERY loud. I set my gains ( tube and solid state at 1 0'clock and 11 o'clock respectively) and never have the Master volume past 3 o'clock. I do have to go through the P.A but the on-stage output is never lacking with these settings. Well, maybe in large venues such as a Haven holiday park I may push it up to 4 o'clock. oooh!

There is plenty of headroom on these amps and with the right speaker config you will get a great sound.

Ive also used Ashdown amps but can't say which model (500's yes) and I too have not been impressed. lacked oomph.

Edited by leftyhook

Depends entirely what cabs you are using. For example, my EVOII 300W through a schroeder 1210L is outrageously loud, whereas through an ashdown 115 it's not. The 500 should easily be loud enough for band practices.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1326911044' post='1503674']
I have used Ashdown LH 500's in theatre's and I too was very disappointed. Lacked punch for me.
[/quote]
The LH500 is made by Hartke

I had an HA4000, and put it through a Hartke 210XL & 115XL. At the time I was in a very loud glam metal band (2 Marshall half-stacks and a drummer using hammers - well not really, but you get the idea), and never needed the volume on more than 4.

And from what I`ve read about the LH500, it is very loud indeed. Hartke gear certainly performs well.

well atm the ABM is running through a mag 410 and a 115. my guitarist is using a 120 watt laney combo which is loud but has it on 6 when we practice. i normally have the output volume on 3/4 and the input 1/2 way and it keeps up fine but just sounds shocking really i personally though with an ABM head i wouldnt have to turn it up more than half way. We do practice loud though.lol

I think i will b going for a hartke head though. not sure about what cabs to go with though

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1326911631' post='1503685']
Depends entirely what cabs you are using. For example, my EVOII 300W through a schroeder 1210L is outrageously loud, whereas through an ashdown 115 it's not. The 500 should easily be loud enough for band practices.

The LH500 is made by Hartke
[/quote]
oops!b slip of the mind.eyes/fingers! I meant an Ashdown 500. Venue rig. Anyway Hartke does the trick for me

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1326915658' post='1503782']
Unless there's something wrong with it, or you haven't set it up right, that head through those cabs should bring down small buildings!
[/quote]

yea thats what i thought. i emailed ashdown about it and they told me theres nothing wrong with the amp. when i am playing i have the input gain on 1/2 way and the output at 3/4. the valve drive is half way up and the sub harmonic is at 9 o clock. plus what ever my eq settings are. i was just a little disapointed on its volume to be fair. i just thought i wouldnt have to turn it up more than half way to keep up with a 120 watt laney guitar amp.

iv i turn it up much more then the VU meter just sits in the red.

[quote name='paulypbass' timestamp='1326917747' post='1503821']
yea thats what i thought. i emailed ashdown about it and they told me theres nothing wrong with the amp. when i am playing i have the input gain on 1/2 way and the output at 3/4. the valve drive is half way up and the sub harmonic is at 9 o clock. plus what ever my eq settings are. i was just a little disapointed on its volume to be fair. i just thought i wouldnt have to turn it up more than half way to keep up with a 120 watt laney guitar amp.

[/quote]

Don't worry, you're not the only one to have found the ABM 500 lacking.. I've never been so thoroughly disappointed as when I rocked up to band prac with my new Ashdown rig - ABM 500, ABM 410T and ABM 115C (all brand new, all Evo 3) and disappeared in the mix to the point where I thought it'd just popped something and stopped working. I've been informed many a time before that I must have had a 'bad one' or set it up wrong, but the truth is it was just plain lacking. The next week I broke out my trusty reserve head, a Hartke HA2000, and with just the ABM 410T alone running 120W into 8ohms, I couldn't go above 5 on the master volume (with everything else flat and the EQ out) without getting that 'turn the hell down!' look from across the room. So yeah, even though I know wattage isn't the be-all and end-all, 120 plays 500 and wins outright with some left in the tank. These days I rehearse with a HA5500 through the same ABM 410T, which is the same only bigger bunches and too loud at about 3 on the master instead!

i dont think u can really set up an amp wrong. i think i am gunna go with at least a hartke head and see what it sounds like with the mag 410T. mite even go the whole hog and buy hartke cabs aswell but i'll see.

very disapointed though always liked the look of ashdown and always liked the fact that i was standing in front of an english amp.lol

[quote name='paulypbass' timestamp='1326917747' post='1503821']

[/quote]

Switch the sub harmonics off. Waste of time.

You can't set an amp up "wrong", but you can help yourself out by tweaking the settings. Ashdown by design have loads of low mids anyway, so try cutting those on the EQ or boost the highs a little and see how much louder you sound. Are you sat in the same frequencies as the guitarist?

Also, try turning down at practice. There's really no need to be pushing a 410/115 stack to full power at rehearsal. You'll hear more of the mix, be able to fine tune your "sound" and be saving your ears at the same time. If a 410/115 stack isn't cutting it, everything else is WAY too loud.

I have owned both hartke and ashdown rigs. I have just sold my LH1000 (which is an incredible amp, such a monstrous noise :P), for an Ashdown MiBass for ease of moving stuff around. (As a side note, for me, the MiBass blows anything else ashdown have ever made away. It's amazing.)

For value for money, you just can't beat Hartke, especially the LH500. It is really nice sounding and ridiculously loud :) IMO, that would or the HA would be your best bet.

Edited by jackers

Tone wise if you cant get what you need with the Ashdown then the LH 500 isnt for you as theres a hell of a lot more scope for tone shaping on the Ashdown, where as the Hartke has a basic tone stack EQ.

Volume wise the LH 500 is plenty loud, with a single 8ohm 4x10 I've never pushed it past 5. With a full 4ohm load I get to around 2. Its plenty loud.
With your speakers the Hartke will sound fine.

Personally I reckon the LH range are some of the finest heads out there ATM.

(One thing to consider though, if you;re trying to get that flat basketball in a canvas sack thump, ie. insanly boosted mids, that just about every metal band is using these days then the the LH500 isn't for you.)

[quote name='paulypbass' timestamp='1326997978' post='1505030']
tryed a Hartke HA5500 At my local music store today and it sounded amazing with a fender jazz bass. so much nicer sounding than the ashdown.
[/quote]

The only downside is the fan, which if it isn't noisy to begin with, stands a fair chance of becoming so... But at the volume they reach, you're unlikely to get too fussed!

I've been using a Hartke 3500 since I started playing bass "properly". I love the tone of the amp, it's very flexible, and it's plenty loud. I started using it with an 8ohm Ashdown ABM 4x10 and it was plenty loud in a band scenario. Now I use it with a 4ohm Zoot 4x10 and it's even louder. The last few gigs I've had it turned up to 4 out of 10. That's competing with drums, a keyboard, a guitar and a sax.

Yes, the fan is a bit loud, mine's old so it starts off really loud and then calms down after it's been on a while. I really ought to look into replacing that.

I used to run a Hartke 3500 through 2.5 XL and 1x15xL cabs very good was is too.

Recently I sold the amp and bought a Ashdown MK500 amp. I tried it with the XL's but they couldn't handle it, so the XL's were sold and I bought ABM 210T and ABM 410T Cabs and it's monsterous, super punchy and as loud and you want, well chuffed with it.

You maybe want to give Ashdown a ring and have a chat with them, I did before I bought the ABM's, really helpful they were.

Hartke are great value for money, but I've got an Ashdown ABM500 and an ABM300 and at 4ohms they're both easily loud enough with tonnes to spare. And this is in a loud rock/punk band with a very enthusiastic drummer :) . The VU rarely enters the red.

Any ABM lacking volume into two correct cabs would certainly suggest to me there's a fault.

Edited by danhkr

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1326925407' post='1503986']
Switch the sub harmonics off. Waste of time.

[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. Those ultra low frequencies may be difficult for the cabs to handle. Try getting a good sound with the sub harmonics off. ABMs have PLENTY of low end anyway. I'm sure this will get you a better sound.