Why become a member? ×

Sound horror in Hull!!!

Bassmonkey

Turned up to play a party at a hotel in Hull on Saturday. When we switched on the first guitarists amp we were deafened by feedback. Did the usual fault elimination stuff but couldnt stop it. Then the same happened when the second one switched on. Thankfully both mine and the PA were fine. Ended up the guitarists DI'd and with guitar in monitors only and no amp volume. Not great but at least we managed to get through. Turned out there was an induction loop in the room which the hotel claimed couldnt be turned off. Does anyone know about these? just thinking what we'd do shoudl it recur (first time i've ever come across this though) Cheers Andy

An induction loop is designed to be permanently active, not least because the hotel (in this case) could be in breach of the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) should it be switched off. Not sure what you can do about it though, sorry! :)

Edited by discreet

Had the gig from hell in a local (new) village hall a couple of years ago, where 2 of us had to face the wall behind us, away from the audience, to stop some of the feedback, whilst the pa was as quiet as t would go. The induction loop was to blame, so we said we wouldnt ever do a gig there again.

Fast forward to last year, and we were asked to gig there again. After we refused because of the loop, we were told it was easy to turn it off, just pull the plug out! It worked and the gig was great........

An induction loop will make the amps howl or gently whine, depending on distance from loop and current strength. I've been caught out with venue staff not even being aware they have them!!

What a nightmare! And, yes, you can turn the loop off! You just need to get a hold of the technical staff and ask them to do so. Assuming you can find tech staff, that is. The Loop driver is usually just a 19", IU pre-amp unit.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1326721558' post='1500939']
An induction loop is designed to be permanently active, not least because the hotel (in this case) could be in breach of the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) should it be switched off. Not sure what you can do about it though, sorry! :)
[/quote]

I don't think that DDA applies here as you are playing music at greater than 90db :lol:

You can just unplug the system as they are 'active' but if the venue's staff don't know anything about it, you are stumped!

My Son's deaf, Chairman of the local Deaf Society, and he knows the laws about this sort of stuff inside out. ALL induction loops HAVE to be turned off when music of any kind is playing at more that 90db, as they can physically damage some hearing aids (and ears wearing those aids) at the volumes achieved. A member of Staff is expected to 'make up the deficit' by being able to understand BSL when it is switched off.
(Codicil to the DDA)
If the Staff say they don't know how to switch it off, they HAVE to be able to contact someone who does. ;)

[sub][quote name='BigAlonBass' timestamp='1326755020' post='1501679']
My Son's deaf, Chairman of the local Deaf Society, and he knows the laws about this sort of stuff inside out. ALL induction loops HAVE to be turned off when music of any kind is playing at more that 90db, as they can physically damage some hearing aids (and ears wearing those aids) at the volumes achieved. A member of Staff is expected to 'make up the deficit' by being able to understand BSL when it is switched off.
(Codicil to the DDA)
If the Staff say they don't know how to switch it off, they HAVE to be able to contact someone who does. ;)
[/quote][/sub]

[sub]Thanks for this buddy. well, forearmed is forewarned eh? Cheers Andy[/sub]