Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT3 Pro - to change or not to change!?

grunge666

I'm in a dilemma!
I've used Ampeg for the last 4 years - I wanted an Ampeg rig for 20 years and (following a divorce!) got an SVT 3 and 410HLF along with a Sansamp RBI. .
I loved it but, the last few weeks it's all changed.
I've sold my HLF and now the geezer wants my SVT3!
The HLF is being replaced with a Barefaced Super Twelve and I'm wondering if its time to move on from the mighty Ampeg ?
My immediate thought was Mmmm, PF500.
But, I do love the SVT3 'valviness' so, Orange? Genz, GK?
MOM!!! :P
To be honest - I'm scared!!

ha ha, don't be scared! i use the PF-500 with a DHA VT-2, so i get tubey- pre- warmth with the light weight convieniance of the PF-500. So far the PF-500 has been very reliable and plenty loud for gigs. Whether it sounds like an ampeg is a bit of a sticking point as its my first ampeg so i have nothing to compare it to!

Well I had an SVT 3-PRO, and have a PF500, and to be honest, aside from the graphic meaning more versatility, I didn`t really notice that much difference. I had a DHA VT1 for extra warmth with the PF500, but preferred the sound of the amp on its own. If you like Ampeg, try the PF500, or, for a bit more, the 7-PRO maybe?

[size=4]I think the Ampeg should work with a Compact. I've not tried this combination but my SVT3PRO sounded good with all the cabs I connected it to; Ampeg, Mesa Boogie, Epifani and Aguilar.[/size]

[size=4]Alex uses a Genz Benz STL 6, so that must be OK, I've heard Markbass amps sounding great through a Compact and I know happy TC/Compact players. [/size]

[size=4]On the other hand, it might just be a good time to move on.[/size]

I own an SVT3 and a Genz Benz Shuttle 6 and whilst they're both great amps, over time I've come back to the Ampeg more and more as I love the grittier tone I can get from it. Sadly, I might be parting with Ampeg simply because it will go further to fund the other stuff I need, but given the choice I'd take the Ampeg tone any day.

Would be nice if it was in a Shuttle sized package though!

Well my Super Twelve came yesterday and I took it down to our rehearsal room for and hour at 6pm. Ran the 25Hz sinewave through it just to get the drivers moving for a bit.
Flattened all the EQ on the 3Pro and left the SansampRBI off.
Started tweaking the EQ and hit the low button to boost the bottom end as advised and thought I'd run through a few basslines and mess about for a bit ....... 3 hours later I called it a night!
I can't explain how good this cab is!
My HLF kicked ass but this kicks its ass!
All the bottom end I loved is still there but the mid cut through is phenomenal! It's just ALL there!
I was thinking I'd miss the tweeter but nah, I don't need it, I can boost the highs with the sansamp and add a bit of drive to get the full on dirt.
To be honest my SVT 3 never sounded so good and I think over the last couple of hours I've decided I'm sticking with it!
I'm glad I took the gamble on Barefaced and the posts on here really helped me make, for me, a big descision.
I need a Barefaced tshirt now for on stage!! ;)

Edited by grunge666

I think you may be right Chris but, this guy offered me more than I expected for the SVT and I'm thinking I wouldn't get this much for it again. It wouldn't cost me anything to get the GB Shuttle - well, apart from my sanity!!
I've got adequate options to try though with the rig I've got:
SVT on its own
Current combination of Sansamp/SVT
& Sansamp through power section on SVT
I'll try it all before a dump Ampeg - I owe itt hat much I reckon.

I made the move from a 3-pro to a shuttle 9 a coupla years back. I also bought a compact at the same time, and completely changed my rig. The shuttle 9 is a lovely, loud, warm amp, and you can get some nice grit in there. I do regret changing everything at the same time though. I think GAS got the better of rather than my better judgement in some ways. I'd have loved (in heinsight) to have run the 3-pro with the compact for a while. I do miss that amp sometimes. However at the time as well, i had no transport and the whole light weight walk yer rig down the road was pretty important, so that also becomes a factor with the class D consideration. Whatever you decide I'm sure it'll be fun!!!!

I use a GB streamliner 600 with Berg AE112 cabs and it sounds rich and warm. I had heard that some other GB amps are a bit clinical but this rig is by far the best I've ever had or used.
The SVT3 was my original first choice but the portability of the GB rig swayed me considerably.

Dave

The courier picked up my SVT-3 this morning to go to its new home and I miss it already! The Shuttles are great too, and have the obvious portability benefits, but there's just [i]something[/i] about the tone from the Ampeg that has always grabbed me that little bit more.

If I get a regular bass playing gig soon, I give it 6 months tops before I'm trying to trade my Shuttle in for an Ampeg :rolleyes:

Thanks again for your thoughts guys, much appreciated and keep them coming!
I've put the guy off my 3Pro for a couple of weeks, I think I'll pop down to Bass Direct with my S12 and one of my Spectors in the boot and try a few heads out.
I'd hate to let the Ampeg go and then regret it. I think the resale value of the GB wouldn't make it worth it, I'd be stuffed getting anything else half decent after.
Got a few things to try @ rehearsal tomorrow. Whacking the tube gain on full to go more SS than tube & running the Samsamp through the power section of the SVT - just for sh!ts and giggles!! ;)