Why become a member? ×

Comparison of plank vs Jazz

4 Strings

Interesting thread. I've often wondered how much of tone comes from the wood in what is essentially an electro-magnetic signal chain. The one time I guess the body wood will affect the tone is if you have microphonic pickups, in which case the volume and proximity to amplifier will also have an affect. Lets not foget the Dan armstrong plexi-glass bass of the 70s either. Does that sound like a lump of plastic?

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1326290199' post='1494962']
The lumber bass would be perfect for playing with Seasick Stevie! Wouldn't want to show up with too flashy a bass for that gig.
[/quote]

So def not an historic instrument like this which would be worth as much as my house?
[attachment=97087:Cropredy-11-223.jpg]

Actually love the bits and pieces Steve plays, cigar boxes, hub-caps, biscuit tins, all good and all prove that, even more important than the pickups, its the player.

I think there's something missing from this discussion - where is VibratingGString? He must be on holiday still... :D

Personally, I think there's a list of factors which influence amplified tone, in descending order:

Pickups/placement
EQ
Strings
Wood/Construction

Now we can all have a nice big row about the relative proportions of the above - I'm going for 50/25/20/5. I'm prepared to negotiate on the first three... :D

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1326288576' post='1494927']
...assuming friction had been banned ;)
[/quote]

Nope, wouldn't matter - if the energy from the string resonates the wood without altering the string's vibration then it is a self-amplifying system, so some of that magically generated energy can be used to re-trigger the string every so often to compensate for frictional losses.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1326293753' post='1495036']
Now we can all have a nice big row about the relative proportions of the above - I'm going for 50/25/20/5. I'm prepared to negotiate on the first three... :D
[/quote]

:D Depends on the limits you set though. I'd say with certain combinations the difference would be 1% or less (what is the % measuring though? Not straightforward). OTOH I choose to compare 1/2" thick soft pine cut across the grain, so that it's[i] just[/i] stiff/strong enough not to snap when you pluck the string. Versus carbon fibre. :P

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1326291837' post='1494995']
Just goes to show it's all in the fingers! And GAS is a mental illness!
[/quote]

I've seen these, want them so bad except I can't afford them nor will I ever use them...!

[attachment=97106:bush-robot-fingers.jpg]

They don't just do natural finish either.

Actually, more seriously, I found this piece of Fender history:

[i]"When first announced in June of 1950 (but available a bit earlier) as Fender's first electric solidbody, the Esquire was a available with either one or two pickups (actually the "single Esquire" with one pickup was available first), [b]a black pine laminated body[/b], a white pickguard, steel bridge saddles. Body shape was the standard "Telecaster" body shape, but only 1.5" thick (instead of the normal 1.75" thick)."[/i]

An inch and a half thick pine plywood tele body. The jap copiers really knew their stuff!

(source http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender2.html )