Why become a member? ×

1960 Fender Jazz bass

SpinalTap

After much deliberation, I decided to put my fantastic 1960 jazz bass for sale.
I bought this bass in 2010 from the owner of Bass Matters, a dutch bass shop, who is an expert on vintage Fenders.

The bass is original, except for the pots, and the colour. When I bought it, it had a thick poly sunburst finish, that I had replaced for a fantastic nitro finish in faded Sonic Blue. The headstock had some water damage a very long time ago, but has no issues, and has some remaining parts of the original decal.

Specs:
Very light Ash body in refinished Sonic Blue
Amazing smooth neck (very, very slim and fast playing). Dated august 1960
Thick slabboard brazilian rosewood with clay dots.
original pickups, hardware, and amazing pickguard.
re-issue stack knobs
Serial number: 54XXX

I'm selling it, because after twenty years, it is time to focus on other hobbies, and musical instruments more. I don't need to sell this, and if it stays with me, it is also fine.
This is a vintage bass, for a player. I took it to all my gigs. No museum bass. For interested parties, I can make more detailed pictures of the neck heel etc. Just want to see if there is any interested, before I started loosening those bolts and screws.

I'm asking 6900,- euro's (that is about 5750,- GBP) for this unique bass.
I will consider partitial trades for 4 or 5 string basses, or EUB's.
Shiping is no problem, but meeting (for people in the BeNeLux, Germany or France) is prefered, because of the rarity of this bass.

Really aren't many of these about at all, lovely bit of history :)
Although the pickguard is original.....really needs to be a vintage 'mint-green' guard with the (stunning) Sonic Blue, it really is my fave custom colour!

Good luck
Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1325778833' post='1487545']
Really aren't many of these about at all, lovely bit of history :)
Although the pickguard is original.....really needs to be a vintage 'mint-green' guard with the (stunning) Sonic Blue, it really is my fave custom colour!

Good luck
Si
[/quote]

I understand that.
But, the earliest jazz basses (60-61) always had tort pickguards - even with the custom colours. So this is actually the right look for a custom colour JB from 1960. Later in the early 60ies the custom colours got the mint pickguards.

I actually don't know. The bell plate could be original, and the stacked pots have the tone knob that works in stages like it should. The pots inside are replaced, so let assume the whole set isn't original, because I don't know for sure.
If some parts of the controls are still original, than it's a bonus for the potential buyer. But lets asume it is from later date.

[quote name='SpinalTap' timestamp='1325779839' post='1487566']
I understand that.
But, the earliest jazz basses (60-61) always had tort pickguards - even with the custom colours. So this is actually the right look for a custom colour JB from 1960. Later in the early 60ies the custom colours got the mint pickguards.
[/quote]
That's correct - a custom colour Jazz bass would have had a tort pick guard in 1960...

No idea. This bass is more than 51 years old. As you can see, it has been played, so it is not very strange that these were replaced at some time in his history. As I stated earlier. I'm not sure if some parts are still original from the controls, but let's asume it is al from later date, so that there is no misunderstanding of what I'm offering.

Thanks for the bumps, guys.

edit: new page. Here are the pictures and info:

Specs:
Very light Ash body in refinished Sonic Blue
Amazing smooth neck (very, very slim and fast playing). Dated august 1960
Thick slabboard brazilian rosewood with clay dots.
original pickups, hardware, and amazing pickguard.
re-issue stack knobs
Serial number: 54XXX

It had a '59 burst re-finish when I bought it, so you could see the grain. I opted for a see through white finish, because that is the original colour. But the very old burst poly re-finish, left some black in the body, that would be seen, with a see through finish, so I chose sonic blue, my favorite custom Fender colour.
An Ash body is more rare, so that's kind of a nice bonus!