Why become a member? ×

Planet Waves Mini Headstock Tuner

discreet

• 1 month later...

I've got a cheapo clip on one for my accustic guitar, my zoom 506II has got a built in tuner for gigs, and I've noticed at open mic nights when it gets noisey it doesn't work very well, have to try and find a quiet corner, is it the same with one of these?

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1337941843' post='1667653']
I've got a cheapo clip on one for my accustic guitar, my zoom 506II has got a built in tuner for gigs, and I've noticed at open mic nights when it gets noisey it doesn't work very well, have to try and find a quiet corner, is it the same with one of these?
[/quote]

No. :)

Again, No, not in my experience but thats just on a P bass.
At the last gig i had both my Snark and PW tuner on all through the gig (i was bored) and i found the PW tuner to be a bit quicker to show the pitch but that might be down to the different display systems used. Both were spot on though and that's with the band playing.

I see the Snark is getting an update for added accuracy and tuning speed. I've got a PW on a headed bass, a snark for acoustic guitars and a Korg flip tuner for everything else. None fit on my headless bass!!

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1338066938' post='1669319']

Ooh I like updates. How will that work... or are we talking about a new model?
[/quote]

Yup, it's a new model in the same shell with a new display i believe.

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1330622531' post='1560625']
I'm having real trouble getting my PW mini headstock tuner to pick up a dropped D, and it just does nothing when I try to tune the B on my 5er! Anyone got any tips, or is it just not up to it?
[/quote]
Check that the thing is switched to chromatic, they all function slightly differently so you'd need to check the instructions but when mine are switched to Bass they only pick up BEADG You could try tuning the harmonic to the 'normal' D I suppose.

Oh, with my older clip on, which was less sensitive, I sometimes clipped onto the butterfly for the troublesome string, awkward to tune but it always picked up the vibrations.

Edited by Phil Starr

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1330622531' post='1560625']
I'm having real trouble getting my PW mini headstock tuner to pick up a dropped D, and it just does nothing when I try to tune the B on my 5er! Anyone got any tips, or is it just not up to it?
[/quote]

Tip? Yes, play the harmonic at the 12 th fret instead in both cases. (not the fretted note). The tuner will find it eaier to register the note because it will be exactly an octave higher than the open string. Oh and dead or old strings will cause some tuners a bit of grief too.