Why become a member? ×

Has anyone bought a new amp (small lightweight) from the USA and had it shipped over?

Musicman20

Hi

Has anyone done this before?

A friend is interested in ordering a new amp and as they are so small and light nowadays, he wants to take advantage of the fact they are 50% cheaper (some of them) over in the US.

I've told him to use the Duty Caculator, comes out much cheaper than the UK price.

Thanks

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1325450603' post='1483314']
Two things to bear in mind when trying to compare costs in this manner.

First off he may also need to pay out for a transformer (unless the amp has a 240V setting) and secondly there probably won't be any warranty as it will be seen as a grey import.
[/quote]

Buying a transformer sort of defeats the object, as it will be bigger and weigh more than the amp itself :o

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1325453465' post='1483358']
It will be a switchable voltage type. More than likely a Genz (when the new Shuttle comes out) or an Aguilar TH500. All of them are tiny, and light, and work here with a flick of a switch.
[/quote]

Do they also handle the different frequency of the UK supply compared to the US supply?

Many pieces of industrial equipment are rated at 50/60Hz and are therefore suitable, but it's worth checking.

I've worked in the US quite a few times for extended periods and it never seems worth importing when you take all the issues into account. Especially if something goes wrong.

Frank.

I've done it three times, each time without a problem.

The first amp was multi-voltage. The second two required the moving of an internal jumper, which in turn required opening the casing, which naturally invalidated any guarantee anyway.

Obviously, much depends on what the vendor chooses to put on the packaging by way of description and declared value.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1325456168' post='1483396']
Yeah, I've warned him about this. No doubt its just easier to get it from the UK.
[/quote]

I tell a lie...

I did buy an Acoustic Image Focus from Bob Gollihur a few years back, after first checking I'd be supported in the event of any problems. I save hundreds over the UK price (this is when the exchange rate was favourable, though) and, when it did go wrong, Acoustic Image were as good as their word.

In those circumstances, I'd buy again.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1325456168' post='1483396']
Yeah, I've warned him about this. No doubt its just easier to get it from the UK.
[/quote]

True, although fender GBI will still fix it (at a cost) but the chances of something breaking are slim unless you are careless and or stupid.

I imported a new Peavey Cirrus bass from the States a few years ago, at a huge cost saving, and when it arrived, it had splits in the laquer and wood below. It was obviously factory fresh and sealed up, so I contacted Peavey over there to ask them what I could do. They said to send it to Peavey UK, who then arranged for a new one to be sent to me in replacement. I have nothing but good things to say about Peavey, who have also been unbelievably helpful with another couple of problems I have had over the years,and bent over backwards to do their best for me.