Why become a member? ×

Pete The Fish (Wal) RIP

Sibob

Sad news. Like others here I met him a few times when he did work on my Pro1, the main being to upgrade it to Custom back in '96. Went to the workshops for an overhaul and had chats and coffee and a try on various basses that led to the upgrade (at a very reasonable price) instead of the overhaul.

PB1680 will definitely be going in the gig bag for tonights gig to celebrate a life that produced a great bass that has been a faithful workhorse and a joy to play for getting on for 30 years

I've fond memories of visits to Electric Wood.

When I took my first 5 string in for a free m.o.t. as Pete called it, he asked if there were any problems with the bass.

I told him the only problem was some lacquer wear from my thumb nail, could anything be done?

He replied "yeah, we'll have to chop your f...ing thumb off!"

R.I.P.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1325338450' post='1482255']
I've fond memories of visits to Electric Wood.

When I took my first 5 string in for a free m.o.t. as Pete called it, he asked if there were any problems with the bass.

I told him the only problem was some lacquer wear from my thumb nail, could anything be done?

He replied "yeah, we'll have to chop your f...ing thumb off!"

R.I.P.
[/quote]

Ha!Ha!Ha! I can just hear him saying that!

Damn that's sad news... What a legend he was.
Been thinking of selling my Wal Custom recently - bought new by me in 1987... But this news has brought back loads of memories - so I can see me holding on it to for many years more. Peter re-fretted it only a few years ago (must have been one of the very last jobs he did) & was kind enough to sign the neck butt for me. He'll be greatly missed I'm sure...

This is very sad news.

Unfortunately I never met Pete (although I did have the privilege to meet Ian a couple of times) but there's now doubt that Pete & Ian shaped my sound and playing every bit as much as Stanley Clarke, Mark King, Jaco, Geddy et al. by creating such wonderful instruments. I've owned my Wal Custom MKI since the 80's and its still the standard I compare others against.

RIP Pete.