Why become a member? ×

Forum Time vs Bass Time

EdwardHimself

It is just utterly ridiculous. I mean seriously, I'm probably not alone in this, but I am pretty ashamed to say that in my life I have definitely spent considerably more time on this forum than I have actually playing the bass, despite the fact that I have been playing the bass for twice as long as I've been on the forum, in terms of number of years. I must spend something like 2 to 3 hours on here on some days. I think I've probably been on here for over an hour just today. How much time have I spent on the bass today? About 0:00:00.000 I make it.
I can't imagine just how much better I would have been on the bass if I had actually just transferred the time spent talking about random meaningless crap on this forum onto actually practicing, not just pissing about either. Like proper actual practicing. How awesome I could be on the bass right now. Because seriously as things are I'm just a totally mediocre player. I can just about muddle my way through something like "the trooper" and that's it. 6 and a half years. And f*** all to show for it. Didn't stop me spending a grand on a bass rig that never gets turned up past 0.5 though. On the occasion that I do actually pick up the bass, it's usually just to piss about playing the same old songs, or some easy crap that anyone who's ever picked up a bass could probably play.

Anyone else feel they spend a bit too much time on BC? :)

Edited by EdwardHimself

Edward, you sound like you are afraid of people and feel vulnerable because, despite your persona on here, you are easily hurt. You may procrastinate because you have high standards that are hard to reach and basschat is an easier way to express yourself for less real effort than learning your instrument to a high enough standard. You're obviously imaginative, and creative, and can express yourself clearly. I think the only way out of this for you is probably a large dose of self discipline and self belief. But, if you think life's a bit of a waste of time, what's the point in all that pain for gaining little that would make any difference to anything? Sorry mate, I just realised I'm talking about myself ;)

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1324683270' post='1477115']
One of my friends has been to BELGIUM!
[/quote]

Impossible! He's lying I tell you! Human beings could never withstand travelling such colossal distances!

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1324686555' post='1477136']
An hour? :blink: You should think about some typing lessons. ;)
[/quote]

Well that included deciding what I was going to write and endless editions and add ons. I used to be dreadful at typing but hours spent typing in the cheats on GTA improved my typing skills no end :)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1324730368' post='1477392']
Impossible! He's lying I tell you! Human beings could never withstand travelling such colossal distances!
[/quote]

Well what quite amazes me is the fact that the ferry route to Zebrugge is currently closed due to a faulty lock gate. So how he managed to get back I don't know.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1324688476' post='1477161']
Edward, you sound like you are afraid of people and feel vulnerable because, despite your persona on here, you are easily hurt. You may procrastinate because you have high standards that are hard to reach and basschat is an easier way to express yourself for less real effort than learning your instrument to a high enough standard. You're obviously imaginative, and creative, and can express yourself clearly. I think the only way out of this for you is probably a large dose of self discipline and self belief. But, if you think life's a bit of a waste of time, what's the point in all that pain for gaining little that would make any difference to anything? Sorry mate, I just realised I'm talking about myself ;)
[/quote]

This. It seems like I just tend to give up on doing things if I can't be fantastic at it immediately. I had to quit a band I was in because I spent a year practicing the same song and still couldn't do it properly.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1324688476' post='1477161']
[/quote]
Wow!
And I though I was the only one ;)

I guess as long we're getting more knowledgeable about the art of bass playing/building/modding or even the bass history, time here's not completely wasted, right?
We can even impress girl musicians with our knowledge! :D

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1324735313' post='1477445']
Wow!
And I though I was the only one ;)

I guess as long we're getting more knowledgeable about the art of bass playing/building/modding or even the bass history, time here's not completely wasted, right?
We can even impress girl musicians with our knowledge! :D
[/quote]

That certainly used to be the case for maybe about the first year I was on this website, but I feel like I spend most of my time in off topic and very little actually talking about the bass. Girls, don't talk to me about girls! lol.

Edited by EdwardHimself

Thanks to basschat I now have a rig and two basses i don't need to change.
I also bought and sold enough things to get T9 that point and still want to faff around with pickups... but I'm on here less than I used to be... except now when i have an essay to write

Just reading your post EdwardHimself, has made realise that [b]I too[/b], spend far too much time on here as well.

I don't normally make New Year resolutions, but I will this year, and that is to limit the time I spend on BassChat,
and to spend at least [u][b]TWO HOURS[/b][/u] per day practising.

And like you say, not just on the songs I already know well, but to work on the songs that in the past, I have brushed aside
because I thought they were too difficult.

There are some days where I have spent five or six hours just reading through endless topics, some of which are
very interesting, and some not so interesting.

Yet surely, if I spent the same amount of time practising, then eventually, I would able to learn almost any bass line,
regardless of it's complexity.

So thanks for the kick up the backside that I needed, and I will report back this time next year, to hopefully say that
I am now a much improved bassist!

[b]Season's greetings to one and all.[/b]

Edited by thebrig

You'll never pick up your bass if you're not inspired to do so. It can seem like a bit of a mundane task at times in comparison to work or whatever, but you just need to be able to find what inspires you to pick up and practice.

Often if I'm not in the mood to play my bass I'll put on some music and listen to my favourite bass players to get inspired, I think that's the best way to do it. Because my basses are usually at our studio I rarely get the chance to practice myself much anymore, but I always try to to get a few hours in every couple of days because I love playing. You just need to find the things you love playing and then you'll get inspired.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1324737756' post='1477470']
You'll never pick up your bass if you're not inspired to do so. It can seem like a bit of a mundane task at times in comparison to work or whatever, but you just need to be able to find what inspires you to pick up and practice.

Often if I'm not in the mood to play my bass I'll put on some music and listen to my favourite bass players to get inspired, I think that's the best way to do it. Because my basses are usually at our studio I rarely get the chance to practice myself much anymore, but I always try to to get a few hours in every couple of days because I love playing. You just need to find the things you love playing and then you'll get inspired.
[/quote][quote name='Immo' timestamp='1324737808' post='1477471']
I uess good way to spend more time playing than reading forum is to have [b]someone to play along[/b] with. :D
Have you tried?
[/quote]
You need to have the discipline to pick it up and learn summat new, after that, progress and inspiration usually keep you playing. Then you apply that learning, unlock a mystery or two, then learn some more and so on and on.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1324739402' post='1477483']
You need to have the discipline to pick it up and learn summat new, after that, progress and inspiration usually keep you playing. Then you apply that learning, unlock a mystery or two, then learn some more and so on and on.
[/quote]
Nay, I think more of a good buddy to improvise with. That will be fun, not a compulsion. :)
C'mon, let's keep a little optimism in here! It's Christmas!

First, I'd say that you are not alone in spending more time than you should on forums. As others have said, you need to be inspired to pick up the bass. When you do actually sit down to practice, how you go about it and how that precious time is spent, can be important. If your practice is structured (i.e. starting with the basics and building step by step on the information gleaned from the previous lesson)it can go a long way towards being inspired, as you will begin to see progress. This will make you want to keep plugging away at it. "Muddling my way through something like the "Trooper" is not practice, in the true sense of the word. A half an hour of structured practice is better than three hours of idle noodling. If you can spend a grand on a bass rig, then a few bob spent on some lessons would be a good investment. A good teacher can not only provide a structured practice schedule, but also the inspiration that you seem to require.

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1324744980' post='1477550']

Nay, I think more of a good buddy to improvise with. That will be fun, not a compulsion. :)
C'mon, let's keep a little optimism in here! It's Christmas!
[/quote][quote name='Immo' timestamp='1324744980' post='1477550']

Nay, I think more of a good buddy to improvise with.
[/quote]

How is the OP going to be able to improvise, if he does not knuckle down to some serious practicing ???

I believe that even the worst player will become able to play properly when having another person playing next to him. Spontaneous improvisation will ensue.
It's like '[i]Hey, this time I managed to play well for entire 4 seconds and it sounded pretty cool! I gotta try harder and repeat that![/i]'

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1324739402' post='1477483']
[/quote]

I'm talking about having fun though. Discipline in learning an instrument is important, but it doesn't have to be so incredibly serious all the time. If you're finding it hard to pick up your instrument and play then you need to remind yourself why you picked up bass in the first place, and that's by getting inspired as opposed to disillusioned and bogged down with the stress of discipline. That will come later once you've got your targets set.

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1324747839' post='1477588']
I believe that even the worst player will become able to play properly when having another person playing next to him. Spontaneous improvisation will ensue.
It's like '[i]Hey, this time I managed to play well for entire 4 seconds and it sounded pretty cool! I gotta try harder and repeat that![/i]'
[/quote]

Yeah, I see where you are coming from, but I'm not sure if I entirely agree. Yes, jamming with others is a great way to improve. However, IMO, jamming with others should be a time for trying out what you have learned at home practicing. If you have not done your home work, in some cases jamming can be frustrating.