Why become a member? ×

£12500 Rickenbacker

solo4652

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1324585907' post='1476060']
That and about a dozen other basses have been listed and relisted by the same seller for the past few months.

Perhaps trying to get a name for himself like our German friend
[/quote]

At that kind of price he only needs to sell one every few months to make a decent living. Question is, is he finding buyers?

You guys know the seller is a shop, right?

That '78 fretless Precision they have has my name on it, lottery permitting :) No hang on I've just noticed the '59 EB2...

[url="http://www.newkingsroadguitars.co.uk"]www.newkingsroadguitars.co.uk[/url]

ficelles

Edited by ficelles

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1324595459' post='1476205']
At that kind of price he only needs to sell one every few months to make a decent living. Question is, is he finding buyers?
[/quote]

New Kings Road Guitars are an established vintage dealer. Some of their stuff is much more mainstream than that Rickenbacker. They usually have 70s Fenders in the £1k to £2k bracket for example.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of spending £12,500 on a bass, but their market is the investor/collector rather than the player, and that Ric is exceptionally rare.

Edit - ficelles got in ahead of me!

Edited by simon1964

I actually find NKR to be very reasonable, far more than Denmark Street Vintage dealers.

When NKR get a genuine rare guitar (I dont mean a ´65 strat, or a ´64 Precision), like a ´58 Les Paul, a ´52 Precision, a ´59 ES335, or a ´64 4001S, then tend to market it at top dollar, because there´s every chance they will sell it, as the rarest birds out there will always generate interest, and top money, especially if all original. On the other hand though, you can pick up more ´regular´vintage gear for very sensible prices, certainly when compared to V&R. They are also very straight talking when it comes to haggling. I´ve got some pretty reasonable discounts before down there.

By the way, i have absolutely no affiliation with the shop (And no, the owner is a different Rick :o , before anyone asks!), but i have bought a few pieces from them in the past.

Although i know opinions are purely based on personal experience.

BTW, the ´59 EB2 is [i]not[/i] open to offers.....I´ve tried!! Its actually a mid ´60 Bass, no case. Stunning condition though, I´m just fussy,a nd want it with a case.