Why become a member? ×

Thumb rests

snazz

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1323882823' post='1468245']
My '66 Precision has both. It came with a tug-bar and I've added a thumb-rest.

It is now a far more balanced, zen sort of bass ...
[/quote]

My first ever EB3 had both, never used them but liked the look of them, since the tug bar was in ebony on the scratchplate & the thumb-rest was in mahogany just next to the mudbucker & they were carved into a curve not a block. I've seen them alone go for £55 each on Ebay recently.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1323946256' post='1468908']
For anyone that's interested, here's the one I made for myself.

[/quote]

I like that, but I'm not sure how it would work with my '66.

[IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Fender%20Precision%201966%20CURRENT/DSCF4280.jpg[/IMG]

I've added a smallish thumbrest requiring just a single screw, so that is non-intrusive and fully reversible.

What would you suggest?

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1324458605' post='1474336']
me too - isnt that what pickups are for??? :D
[/quote]

That's fine if you're playing a Goodfellow or something, with a sculpted thumbrest built into the top of the pickup:

[IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Goodfellow%20Custom%20Classic%201985%20SOLD/DSCF3630.jpg[/IMG]

I've always found Precision pickups really uncomfortable and unstable to rest on. Worse, in my soul band I end up putting so much pressure on the pickup that I'm constantly pushing it down into the foam and altering the gap between string and pickup.

A thumbrest is a much better idea, IMHO.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1324463949' post='1474403']
I've always found Precision pickups really uncomfortable and unstable to rest on. Worse, in my soul band I end up putting so much pressure on the pickup that I'm constantly pushing it down into the foam and altering the gap between string and pickup.

A thumbrest is a much better idea, IMHO.
[/quote]

totlally agree with the P pickup thing - fortunately for me my J and TRB have just the right pickups at just the right places for my right hand :D

edit - you have stone cladding too! :gas:

Edited by steve-bbb

This is probably totally wrong, but I've been borrowing my brother's fender jazz marcus miller, which has a pickup cover over the middle/neck pup, and I've been resting on that. It gives a really nice anchor position for your thumb. I know they were initially intended for pick players to rest their hand on?

When i get my own bass, I think I'd like a thumb rest that feels similar.

Edited by bisonkills

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1323889490' post='1468409']
I was the same. I tried several over the years and they just always seemed to get in the way.... then I came up with the idea of making a half height one. Hey presto it worked perfectly. It just feels like resting my thumb on a pickup cover like I'm used to.

If anyone wants me to custom make them a half height one (maple, birdseye maple or ebony) get in touch. :)
[/quote]

Looks like my idea got pinched. :rolleyes: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330729269023&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123"]link[/url]

[quote name='bisonkills' timestamp='1324471194' post='1474565']
... a pickup cover over the middle/neck pup, and I've been resting on that. It gives a really nice anchor position for your thumb. I know they were initially intended for pick players to rest their hand on? ...
[/quote]
And for tugbar users for the heal of the hand.

What are thumb rests (or tug bars) generally made of? I've got one on my P which is hollow plastic and appears to be the same as those used on Fender re-issues, but were they always plastic, or were they made of wood on the early Fenders? It's one of those things I've always wondered but never got round to asking! :D

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1336688745' post='1649693']
What are thumb rests (or tug bars) generally made of? I've got one on my P which is hollow plastic and appears to be the same as those used on Fender re-issues, but were they always plastic, or were they made of wood on the early Fenders? It's one of those things I've always wondered but never got round to asking! :D
[/quote]
They were wooden.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1336689609' post='1649715']
How early did they change to plastic?
[/quote]

They were wooden (Cherry or maple), single screw from 1951 to 1957. These were painted black, and lacquered, some early versions from '51/2 were left plain wood, and lacquered;

They changed to 2-screw black plastic in July '57, when they released the 3rd variation of the Precision. Same style used from then to now. Positioned below the strings from '57 to around '69 (transition examples exist up to a year either side of this), and above the strings after. There was a short period around 1972, when they appeared as a deep burgundy colour, that appeared almost black, but was a very deep red when you shined a light through it, like this;

They used gold or silver metal ones on the P&J Bass Specials in the early 80's, with Fender embossed, short lived special edition, normally with P/J pickups, and thumbrest was positioned above the strings.