Why become a member? ×

Relocated to Sherborne, Dorset: any music scene?

yorks5stringer

I've just sold the house in Yorkshire ( hence the name) and am moving South. We're staying at a friends house in Chagford (on Dartmoor) till Dec 27th and then looking for somewhere to rent, preferably in Dorset in the New Year and once we have an idea of the area, will buy.

I've left my Band behind ( and my gear at Twyford) but if there is anyone who knows of any gigs / the music scene in and around Chagford or would just like to meet up, I'd be greatful to meet some friendly Basschat faces!

I've never been to Chagford but I'm sure........!

Edited by yorks5stringer

well chagfords pretty remote (you're in 'proper' dartmoor country!) The nearest proper live music scene is either Newton abbot, Torbay or Teignmouth, oh and plymouth and exeter, all about 30-40 minutes away. [url="http://www.lemonrock.com"]www.lemonrock.com[/url] has all the gigs listed by so many miles from your location, try that. There is live music in Chagford - i think its the ring of bells, but its all a big folk scene in that area (similar to Totnes, again 40 minutes away). Beautiful location but beware, a rock n roll graveyard! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I knackered my 19" alloys on the chuffin narrow roads and granite kerbs and believe it or not there was no parking outside the cottage either!(irony) Some of the main A roads were only 1 lane wide too! Also no TV so all in all whilst it was a lovely place and cottage I'm glad to be out of it. Unfortunately the MIL is in the early stages of dementia so it's a bit difficult here too, off up to London on the 30th for a few days with the kids.....

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1324859718' post='1478203']
Actually Chagford did not work out and am back in Salisbury at the moment, and maybe going to London for NY
[/quote]

Shame, I used to live in Chagford about 10 years back and quite like it. Still go down that way every now and again.There's a great folk music scene round those parts.

Know of any nice cottages to rent down there? :)

ficelles

Edited by ficelles

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1324945567' post='1478731']
Well I knackered my 19" alloys on the chuffin narrow roads and granite kerbs and believe it or not there was no parking outside the cottage either!(irony) Some of the main A roads were only 1 lane wide too! Also no TV so all in all whilst it was a lovely place and cottage I'm glad to be out of it. Unfortunately the MIL is in the early stages of dementia so it's a bit difficult here too, off up to London on the 30th for a few days with the kids.....
[/quote]
ah sorry to hear that mate! 19" alloys not a great idea, unless its on a range rover sport, lots of them in chagford!
Yeah TV receptions a joke on the moor, you see everyone has freesat now.

• 3 weeks later...