Why become a member? ×

Slade Bass lines (are cool)

daz

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1322852844' post='1456762']
:)
Sorry, lads (and lassies...); I don't mean to pee on your party, but that was goddamned aweful (imho, of course...); yes, the whole thread, though I couldn't listen to all of it. I tried, but it's amazing just how long 2' 40" can be (or seem...). I'm going to stick to Phil Lesh and Jack Casady for my inspiration in future, I shouldn't have listened to your sirens.
Never mind, I couldn't wear the boots, either. To be fair, I thought it was rubbish at the time, too, so it's not just me getting old (or rather, gotten old..!). I shall thank no-one for these posts.
([i]Phew..! Glad that's over..! Back to the 12 dreams of Dr. Sardonicus, quick[/i]...)
[/quote]
Not like you to be in a minority for your opinion..... :)

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1322861003' post='1456896']
I haven't listened to Slade in a long time.

Silly question who covered or Ripped off that one. It's driving me nuts trying to remember.
[/quote]
James Blunt did recently :) - apparently he's a big fan, his first gig etc.

Edited by Big_Stu

I've just been obliged to learn Merry Christmas Everybody for a forthcoming festive gig and while I realise it's viewed as something of an unsightly carbuncle on the face of the band's venerable catalogue in the eyes of true fans, it's still a very enjoyable bass line to play.

FWIW Slade were part of what really turned me on to music in the first place back in the early/mid 70s along with TRex, Bowie, Roxy Music, Sweet etc. so they will forever occupy a special place in my heart. And I have I fond memories of going to see Slade in Flame at the cinema - what a corker.

Edited by Panamonte

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1322778376' post='1455915']
I too am boggled by the lack of recognition Jim Lea gets as a bass player, he's an absolute demon.
The same goes for Slade as a band really, I think most folk tag them as a good time party band but they were [i]so[/i] much more than that.

Slade Alive is mandatory listening.
[/quote]

+1000

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1322868328' post='1456971']
I've just been obliged to learn Merry Christmas Everybody for a forthcoming festive gig and while I realise it's viewed as something of an unsightly carbuncle on the face of the band's venerable catalogue in the eyes of true fans, it's still a very enjoyable bass line to play.
[/quote]

It's not so much that as the fact they had 30+ other hits & numerous hit albums & a massive reputation as a live band which the average punter is unaware of. It used to bother me to a degree once - but that was a long time ago; before I had a life.
MXE was actually a song that Nod started to write in the hippy sixties. Instead of "So here it is Merry Christmans, everybody's having fun" try "So won't you buy me a looking glass, to look you in the eye" :) There was a bit about a rocking chair too. :)

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1322907568' post='1457129']
MXE was actually a song that Nod started to write in the hippy sixties. Instead of "So here it is Merry Christmans, everybody's having fun" try "So won't you buy me a looking glass, to look you in the eye" :) There was a bit about a rocking chair too. :)
[/quote]

Who knew? Certainly not me. Ta for the info :)

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1322907697' post='1457130']
Who knew? Certainly not me. Ta for the info :)
[/quote]

Big Stu is our resident Slade info-storian. He is lucky enough to have known the band many years and as he says, seen them 36 times. Its possible he has even had a play on one of Jim basses. Jims original bass, namely a Gibson EB3, got nicked from John Birch's workshop while in for a repair. So John Birch made him another (better ?) one. Jim also had some sort of tremelo arm bass. I can't remember the exact details.? Im sure Stu can fill us in.

Edited by daz

The bass with a trem arm was a one-off Jaydee.

It made it into a video or two at the fag-end of their career and as an un-used
backup bass on their final tour in 1983.

It's on my Slade gear page [url="http://www.crazeeworld.plus.com/slade/2011/pages/gear.htm"]here[/url] along with most of their other guitars.

Being a Brummie who was a teenager in the sixties, I saw Slade countless times (as well as the predecessor bands Ambrose Slade and The 'N Betweens) well before any hits. I recall seeing them at Shenley Green Youth Centre when they had gone 'skinhead' and some of the real skinheads, from the Northfield Mob, were waiting outside for them.

They always were a great live band and Lea is a great bassist (just like Jack Casady and Phil Lesh who were mentioned as an alternative above).

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1322780575' post='1455952'] It was a constant in their gigs from the day it was written; this is how it was in the final years [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3HknJl2zVg[/media] That sound from Jim's bass on the riff at the intro & 2.00 & 3.00 mark is what convinced me I had to have a bass like his. Check out the backline - and those Hiwatts still weren't enough, he's still got two of his early 70's Acoustics at either side of the stage. [/quote]
What sort of bass is it? John Birch?

Edited by merello

Been away the weekend so missed the later posts. Jim's sunburst bass is marked as a John Birch but was built entirely by JayDee when he worked for Birch. It has a small overdrive circuit that John built into it, which has the level on the scratchplate & is brought in my bringing up the bridge volume knob, which creates that awesome tone. The pickups are John Birch Superflux's, which are wound to bring out the high end. My copy & that of a mate in the US both have Magnums which have a slightly fuller sound.
The black one with the wang bar is a JayDee - I had a do on it backstage after their Glasgow gig on their last ever UK tour. Layout wise it was the same as the sunburst, but with gold-plated hardware - even the bar.
Jim is a frequent visitor to JayDee, which is where the black bass pic was taken - and where John told me a lot about Jim's gear, when Jim's guitar - yes - SIX strings ......... was overhauled before he did his one-off "last ever" solo gig......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-N4nnrRstc

Is he a better guitarist than a bassist? You be the judge.

This thread has brought a lovely smile to an old ( ish ) mans face as Slade were ( and still are ) my first love for a band.

As a teenager I was hooked from when they first appeared on top of the pops playing Coz I Luv You and saw them many times and still get that buzz when a song comes on the radio

Jim was definitely my first bassist influence and I am really pleased reading the many compliments he is receiving from you guys.

I have this wild ambition that I win the lottery and get enough money to tempt them back in to a re-union tour. I bet there would be a lot of eighties and nineties band members who have been influenced by Slade in the audience !!

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1323243548' post='1460866']I have this wild ambition that I win the lottery and get enough money to tempt them back in to a re-union tour.[/quote]

Nod says it's already been done - and he still refused. :)
Personally I'm glad, they're all in their mid-60s now - but Nod looks 10 years older
(Nod last week)

- and he hasn't played publicly for 20+ years - and even that was blood from a stone time. (Unless you count the few acoustic versions he did for The Grimleys)
I think it would be an embarressing comparison to how they once were. Dave & Don stay in their comfort zone doing what they do, Jim did his solo gig 10 years ago - and steadfastly says "never again" when asked.

I used to be a real Slade fan, I still am when I remember the great stuff they did, this must of been when I was 9 or 10....Jim's bass tone for me makes the hairs stand up on my neck at the start of this one.

...this from 1972?

[media]http://youtu.be/s1T2GjWID1c[/media]

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1323283679' post='1461645']
...this from 1972?[/quote]

H has his leg in plaster in that one - painted silver of course - he'd "fallen off" his platforms when walking off stage at a Liverpool gig :)

Musicladen was a great show, apparently they were live.

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1322859764' post='1456872']
Jim Lea played bass on all of Slade's recordings, Dave or Nod would sometimes (rarely) do a bass part onstage,
if Jim was playing violin. I think Jim Lea was the reason I took up bass - far more so than McCartney.

My Slade site is at [url="http://www.slayed.co.uk"]www.slayed.co.uk[/url]
[/quote]

That's a fantastic website! I'm just trawling throught the guitar and bass pages now. Heaven. :)