Why become a member? ×

Dingwall Super P prototype

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1327496101' post='1512235']
I want a video diary of Wayne playing the Dingwalls! There will be that point where he either loves it or doesn't get on with it. I'm betting he might be quite taken with it, but not 100%....

Looking forward to this :)
[/quote]

Gareth, I know this much, whether he will like the basses or not, Wayne and I will become best of friends after that evening. I'll guarantee it.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1327932488' post='1518960']
Anyone know what these are going to retail at????
[/quote]

If I remember rightly a few pages or posts ago Mark Stickley of Bass Direct did give some indication of the prices of the two models, both the active one with John East preamp and the Z passive model. I just don't remember how much it was

Wayne may or may not appreciate our basses. They're not really designed for punk. I've always felt our attitude had a bit of a punk rock edge to it in a "screw what everyone else thinks, we'll do it our way" kind of way. At any rate. I got some nice footage of Mitch Starkman playing the bass through the Aguilar Tone Hammer 350 at NAMM. If anyone's interested, here the link.

[url="http://youtu.be/cIiN7LRCA2Q"]http://youtu.be/cIiN7LRCA2Q[/url]

Special thanks to Mitch Starkman and Aguilar Amps.

[quote name='Sheldon Dingwall' timestamp='1327959507' post='1519629']
Wayne may or may not appreciate our basses. They're not really designed for punk. I've always felt our attitude had a bit of a punk rock edge to it in a "screw what everyone else thinks, we'll do it our way" kind of way. At any rate. I got some nice footage of Mitch Starkman playing the bass through the Aguilar Tone Hammer 350 at NAMM. If anyone's interested, here the link.

[media]http://youtu.be/cIiN7LRCA2Q[/media]

Special thanks to Mitch Starkman and Aguilar Amps.
[/quote]

Whether I like them or not I have the up most of respect for the way you present yourself on here.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1327443687' post='1511465']
I personally think it's a fad but I've been proved wrong before.
[/quote]

Fender soon dropped the fanned frets thing in the 60's so who knows??

They're not my cup of tea at all, I'm very much a traditionalist when it comes to basses, and i haven't played one at all, and have no intention of trying them, although if i saw one in a shop, i would definitely give it a go, purely for curiosity sake. But from what i've read, they appear to be a bit like Volvo's, in the way that most people scoff at them, but most people who buy one, go on to buy, and play nothing else, and spend the rest of their time trying to get everyone else to buy one, so they must have something about them.

If i ever catch up with one and play it, i'll be sure to make a comment, but even if its the best thing i've ever played, i wont buy one, because they look shocking! :P

As others have said, wouldn't it be a dull world if we all played Precisions (It might have a sweeter sound though!!)

Tongue firmly in cheek!! ;)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1327959448' post='1519627']
Just seen a NAMM video of this bass. It looks stunning, it sounds great, BUT, I do think its strays from a normal P bass tone. Could be the player's technique, who knows!
[/quote]

I blame that on too fast and too furious with a new camera. I didn't notice until it was too late that we didn't get the straightahead tone. With the tone in the centre detent position it's real close to a traditional P-tone but with more punch and clarity.

Announcement in 2 months

[b][u]New Dingwall Signature Model Announced!!!![/u][/b]
You can now buy the brand new Waynepunkdude signature model featuring a unique "used to be sunburst then sanded down and completely replaced with a checkerboard paintjob", selection of custom scratchplates and in maple or rosewood fretboard. Not available in roadworn finish, do it your sodding self

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1327999570' post='1519960']
Announcement in 2 months

[b][u]New Dingwall Signature Model Announced!!!![/u][/b]
You can now buy the brand new Waynepunkdude signature model featuring a unique "used to be sunburst then sanded down and completely replaced with a checkerboard paintjob", selection of custom scratchplates and in maple or rosewood fretboard. Not available in roadworn finish, do it your sodding self
[/quote]

:lol:

Also available in 5 string one month of the year until you realise you don't like 5 strings.

I was dubious until I tried one: I'm not a 5 player, so I'd presumed the main point would pass me by (and I suppose it actually does), and I'm not even into particularly modern-sounding basses but I had a good play of a 4-string ABZ at Bass Direct, and I'm a convert. A lovely bass, the build quality is spot on and the neck and fanned frets feel completely instinctive after a couple of minutes. I love the look, too.

If I'd have had the money (or less self-control with the credit card), I'd have had it like a shot. If I can sell a couple of basses, I may well still do so.

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Sheldon Dingwall' timestamp='1327971251' post='1519851']
I blame that on too fast and too furious with a new camera. I didn't notice until it was too late that we didn't get the straightahead tone. With the tone in the centre detent position it's real close to a traditional P-tone but with more punch and clarity.
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, it sounds great anyway.

[quote name='Sheldon Dingwall' timestamp='1327959507' post='1519629']
Wayne may or may not appreciate our basses. They're not really designed for punk. I've always felt our attitude had a bit of a punk rock edge to it in a "screw what everyone else thinks, we'll do it our way" kind of way. [/quote]

I have recently discovered that a punk band I like (quite modern, and not the traditional 3 chord punk) called The Flatliners have a bassist who plays, wait for it....a 5 string Jazz! With his fingers! I listened to their lastest album 'Calvacade' again this morning and realised that a skilled fingerstyle bassist with a low B CAN fit in a punk band nowadays, as long as its still melodic, (and no slap!).

I think their bassist might like a Super J!

I've seen a few ska bands with a 5 string, but not many punk bands. It actually sounds really good. Fattens up the low end, instead of in something really heavy when you can't hear the bass anyway due to the extremely high gain loud guitars.

Edited by Musicman20

I really need to make a trip up to Mark at bass direct soon and have another go on a Dingwall Precision or Jazz. I want to change my bass but feel bad going up to marks just to try gear and not buy.

Anyway I tried the bottom of the range Dingwall years ago and was very impressed with the feel and the fanned frets didnt effect me in the slightest. The only thing I couldnt get my head around was the size and look of the bass. I couldnt take one into band practice and I would be mocked for a funny looking bass. My best friend is a pro guitarist and he has been mocker for taking a Parker Fly to a gig and not bringing a strat. Im also a big guy so these smaller basses always look like toys on me.

This is where I think the Super J and P fit in. I love Fender designs but I dont always want a Fender tone. I love the look of a Precision (I have one) but dont really like the sound, so for me a chance to get a kind of vintage look with a 'better' tone thats not a true Fender Precision and some good innovations like fanned frets, is a bonus.

I cant wait to try one.