Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dingwall Super P prototype

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1327226070' post='1507901']
That Fiesta Red one is absolutely stunning. My evil side wants it to have a relic job and be advertised as a 1962 Dingwall... muhahahaha. Any soundclips of the P anywhere Wazoo ?
[/quote]

Man I can consider myself lucky to have been invited in by the legendary Dave Swift and allowed to play his bass, I would never have dreamt to make him feel uneasy in his own home by photographing and recording him? Nah...unfortunately what I've heard and seen was for my eyes and ears only. And faith had it that I couldn't even use my Canon camera because I'd left the memory card in the pc slot DOH! hence the iphone sh|tty resolution shots.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1327261801' post='1508572']
Nope, I know it sounds silly but looks are a big part of a bass for me and if I don't feel comfortable with how it looks I'd find it hard to play it live.
[/quote]

Well we can't all play checkerboard jazz basses now, can we?! ;)

Just got my Afterburner from Mark at Bassdirect yesterday and it's a revelation so far... Being primarily a P-bass player following this thread could get expensive!!!

Don't get me wrong, as I've said, these style of basses are growing on me. I just can't see myself having 7 or so normal 34" 4 or 5 string basses, and one Dingwall with a different scale, different fret system, etc.I'd have to spend a good few hours on one before making a decision.

It is very much a niche market, which is growing rapidly by the looks of things.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1327398671' post='1510424']
Don't get me wrong, as I've said, these style of basses are growing on me. I just can't see myself having 7 or so normal 34" 4 or 5 string basses, and one Dingwall with a different scale, different fret system, etc.I'd have to spend a good few hours on one before making a decision.

It is very much a niche market, which is growing rapidly by the looks of things.
[/quote]

You're quite right...

You'll be selling those other basses in no time ;)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1327398875' post='1510428']
You're quite right...

You'll be selling those other basses in no time ;)
[/quote]

Haha, well I regreted selling my Stingray's to get the newer models with compensated nut/dual pups, so that won't happen again. Everrything I have now was at very very good prices, which I won't be able to get again. I eventually got excellent replacements, so they are staying put.

Not only that, I've tried delving into other brands, but may as well admit the fact that if it isn't Fender or Musicman, I crave a Fender or Musicman!

I've learnt my lesson.

I also prefer a 34" scale, just for the overall tension and 'feel' of the strings. Again, that's me.

Edited by Musicman20

It's not really a big step to be honest. I was a little sceptical, but it's totally true that you can just pick one up and play almost as normal. OK if you can't get on with a longer than 34" scale the 37" might be a step up, but I've never played more than a 35" and it feels easy enough - after all, most of the extra length to the string is at the bridge end keeping the fret angle pretty low towards the headstock. The string tension across the strings is pretty spot on - mine has a 95 gauge E, which I would NEVER play on a 34" scale! I'm a 105 man all the way! I'm super impressed and am trying to figure what body parts I can sell to order a super P... I've only had about 40 minutes MAX on my Afterburner...

Its not so much not 'liking' the extra scale, I think its just because Im quite comfy on a 34". I can see the arguments for and against extra scale, especially on the Dingwalls, but I tend to like the B to be quite tight and percussive and of a similar feel to the rest of the strings.

I could try one and eat my own words, but alas, money and time is a barrier.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, no one's ever influenced me towards the Dingwall experience, I was totally oblivious of them and whenever I saw one advertised in a mag, I too thought it was a gimmick or some fancy pants boy's toy. Never bothered to find out more about them as I was happy with my Music Man basses, until one day I was in the Bass Gallery to buy a compressor pedal, and Alex asked me what bass I wanted to try the pedal and I've said I mostly own MusicMan basses so anything by Ernie Ball will do and I tried the pedal with a Stingray 5... all good I must admit, average!

Then I turned around and saw a Dingwall ABZ 5, I asked Alex if I could have a go cause chances are I might never see one again in the flesh and you haven't lived until you've tried everything. He said sure Fran have a go, you'll like it. After 5 minutes I was immediately impressed and comparing the ABZ with the Stingray gave me a shock to the system as to how simply a passive bass can sound so much better and be so much easier to play, and experiencing that infectious low B was an immediate addition. Paid for it in cash there and then and took it home together the compressor pedal.

Got home and within 3 weeks all my EBMM's were dissipated through ebay and this forum, bye bye Bongo 5, Big Al 5, Stingray 5 and 25th Anniversary 5 all gone in 3 weeks! Bosh!

The ABZ replaced them all, then along came the ABII with the active Glockenklang and last was the Super J / P and I've never looked back, never missed those I sold for these ones. Happy as a pig in the proverbial. Of course I am not a die-hard Dingwall fan with blinkers because I still keep my traditional bass passion and in between those 3 Dingwalls I have bought 2 x Fender American Standard a Jazz and a Precision, a Kubicki Ex Factor and nearly bought a Sandberg until I saw the Super P prototype and though better. Now I can't wait for mine to be built.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

And you will notice that in the above post I never once mentioned the fanned fret thing, well there is a reason for it... nothing to mention about when it comes to put your fingers on the bass, its just point and click, very small learning curve on the first 3 or 4 fret but for the rest of the fretboard you'll hardly notice any difference whatsoever, hence nothing to wax lyrical about them, you'll just get on with them as if it was just an ordinary bass. Guaranteed!

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1327427904' post='1511087']
Bass bash my house at the weekend then :P
[/quote]

I'll be catching up on well needed sleep mate (9 week old in the house!), but an NI bass bash is long overdue!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1327443687' post='1511465']
I personally think it's a fad but I've been proved wrong before.
[/quote]

Yes I expect we'll grow out of it, eh?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1327443687' post='1511465']
I personally think it's a fad but I've been proved wrong before.
[/quote]

Wayne I respect your opinion, if we all liked he same thing, it would be a boring bland life.

If it is any help, despite the fact that in some of your previous posts some months ago, you have demonized me because of my choice of basses, I haven't taken any offence, and as a human gesture of reconciliation, I invite you to come and spend a few hours at mine to try these basses and then be in a position to expressed an opinion on something you have actually tried. Faversham is not too far from South East London (Greenwich area) coffees and teas will be on the ready and if you're lucky a few biscuits will be thrown in the bargain. Say 3 weeks from now when my house renovatiing works will be fully completed.

After that, you can still leave my place disliking the Dingwall basses, but if you do, at least I can respect the fact that you have tried them and they weren't for you, rather than diss them as a fad without first hand experience.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1327485287' post='1511914']
I'll take you up on that and please don't think I've demonized I realise some people don't get my humour so I'm sorry if offence is taken.
[/quote]

Trust me I never took any offence. I'll let you have my address by pm as soon as my house is finished

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1327485287' post='1511914']
I'll take you up on that and please don't think I've demonized I realise some people don't get my humour so I'm sorry if offence is taken.
[/quote]

I want a video diary of Wayne playing the Dingwalls! There will be that point where he either loves it or doesn't get on with it. I'm betting he might be quite taken with it, but not 100%....

Looking forward to this :)