Why become a member? ×

London gigging bassers

TPTroll

Dear London gigging bassists

I'm looking at buying amps/combos and will most likely be gigging in and around London. Obviously, I don't want to be dragging around a massive stack to gigs on the tube, so I wondered what you guys did?

I was thinking of getting a 1x10/2x10 100-200watt combo for stage sound, then just go into the PA.

What do you use?

Thanks

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1321973785' post='1444974']
I use a car not the tube. :)
[/quote]

I dont know anyone who goes gigging by tube :) .....Apart from Flea of course! :) http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/3931481/Fleas-going-Underground.html

I think if I were in this position, and wanting a combo, from what I`ve read on here I`d check out the Ibanez Promethean.

I`d also check out Markbass. They are very lightweight.

Genz Benz Shuttle & Barefaced Midget would be great, but costly.

I gig by tube and car... Markbass Head can go in your gig bag and the cab 2x10 can go on a foldable trolley from homebase B&Q etc

Or the Promethean is a good travelling combo (1x10) with 500w when plugged ito a 2nd cab

another very lightweight cab is the Barefaced midget then you can buy any lightweight head (markbass, Genz Benz, Orange terror bass, Swr etc)

[b]It can be done without screwing up your back.[/b] If you need more power buy a secondary cab and get a lift or try the barfaced compact with lightweight head

Any bigger gig, you usually could DI into the PA

Edited by algmusic

I have done this extensively and have used the Minimark which was really, really cool on the tube even at rush hours. Works as monitor box + DI box really. Smart piece of kit - took it anywhere i went really, 10kg and [i]very [/i]easy to transport due to great shape. I think Electrohill at Palmers Green has one in stock.

I gig in london a fair bit, and in my experience theres pretty much always a house rig which is pretty usable, i tend to take a head even if ive been informed that backline is provided. We tend to go by car/van and i wouldnt want to take any giggable bass rig on the tube.

Edited by Tdw

With the Westminster parking proposals imminent, I reckon more of us will be thinking this way soon. It's already hard enough to park close enough to certain venues.

I play double bass @ Ain't Nothin But once a month (this Sat - end of plug) and just go direct into the PA. They have a house amp but its usually broken.

I wouldnt bother with a 1x10 or similar, In that situation I would just take one of my Shuttles and either ask for a loan of a bass cab from another band (Im not keen on that option) or just ask for it to be sent back up the nearest monitor, any old stage monitor is going to kick any 1x10 IME. I have some valve driven pre amp gain from the Genz if they use my own DI on the back. Just get more cabs as time goes by and like the others have said a 2x10 on a trolley if needs must. At least you will already have a good head if you get one of the class D's to take in your bag on the tube rather than a combo to lug everywhere thats then too small for other venues. My 6.0 is just as happy in the studio sat on the desk been used as a DI box as it is running 2 4x10s and everything in between :)

Nice thing about the Minimark is that it allows for an extension cab. Without such, it's totally sufficient as stage monitor, especially for DB. Easy to position on top of other gear, so no feedback problems. Many times, I didn't bother with the house PA if there was. Yes, 2x6 inch does not kick the drummer off his stool, but with 350w it delivers more than enough to make yourself heard on stage. With an extension cab, it makes a phantastic rig. And the fact that it's slim rather than bulky makes it possible to carry it along with a DB or other gear in one go without having to bend over. It was basically designed for jamming bassists in large cities.