Why become a member? ×

Uriah Duffy doing Human Nature

bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1321970352' post='1444909']
Really enjoy his playing...... [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or8M3C6GuCs&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]

A[i][b]b[/b][/i]solutely astonishing!

I'm hanging up my geetahr after watching that...

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1321970352' post='1444909']
Really enjoy his playing...... [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or8M3C6GuCs&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]

I found it unlistenable due to the awful level of reverb on it. Is he sponsored by Lexicon or summat?

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1322053653' post='1445867']
I found it unlistenable due to the awful level of reverb on it. Is he sponsored by Lexicon or summat?
[/quote]
I'm glad somebody else thought that as well.
I thought there was far too much fret buzz & general clankiness as well.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1322059489' post='1445992']
I'm glad somebody else thought that as well.
I thought there was far too much fret buzz & general clankiness as well.
[/quote]
I generally thought it was quite well played but very unpleasant as a listen. I'm not sure why someone of his apparent stature would put something like that up. Having said that, clearly some people enjoy that sort of thing. I however detest solo bass on almost all occasions, the motives for doing so are very rarely musical.

[quote name='jakesbass' timestamp='1322039115' post='1445610']
He's a nice player, but I find melodies like that on the bass a bit unpalatable (I think it's a register thing) where as this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNxiE1edUNg[/media]

This guy does a few Jackson things, and I think he really captures the vibe
[/quote]

Very very beautiful. Some of that gave me the shivers. Why would anyone think a bass can do something like that and sound beautiful? It will never sound as beautiful and sweet as a guitar. Bassists should be youtube exhibitionists in what bass does best, not try to emulate other instruments they can't come close to. The only real solo bass I thought was really lovely, and emotionally played was something Kevin Glasgow did.

quote>>> I however detest solo bass on almost all occasions, the motives for doing so are very rarely musical.

so exactly what are Victor Wootens motives for playing a bass solo... hes not very musical and hes doing it to show off?...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1322070625' post='1446206']
quote>>> I however detest solo bass on almost all occasions, the motives for doing so are very rarely musical.

so exactly what are Victor Wootens motives for playing a bass solo... hes not very musical and hes doing it to show off?...
[/quote]

Wooten is clearly extremely musical, as is Manring. But if one has that level of technical skill, there is sometimes a desire to explore technical possibilities within a framework where the musical element is secondary. In addition, extreme technical displays are crowd pleasers and people being what they so often are, a display of great ability gains credibility with an audience. I stand by my opinion that motives to play solo bass are not often primarirly musical.