Why become a member? ×

Slapping or Fingering!?!??!

Leemarc Ferguson

[quote name='Leemarc Ferguson' timestamp='1321615578' post='1441168']
Just a question I thought I throw out there to see what my fellow bass players think

[b]"Slapping or Fingering technique"[/b]?
[/quote]

Whichever it takes to keep her quiet :)

It does make me wonder how some bass players think if Im honest. I have had this same chat with other players. Some say you have the John Pattitucci or Jaco style of fingering that would blown anyone away but then others have said people like Victor Wooten, Miller, Larry Graham, Stu Hamm their style are forces to be reckoned with.

Neither. The discipline is in becoming a MUSICIAN. One with taste and skill enough to execute one's vision, or interpret effectively someone else's. Techniques don't mean sh*t if the music isn't there. Look at Nigel Clutterbuck.

BTW, Leemarc, you might want to rethink the dimensions of your signature :)

I don't really like slap, it's not the 80's, and it doesn't sound that great. Perhaps it's because I also associate it with teenagers trying to sound impressive.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1321617001' post='1441196']
BTW, Leemarc, you might want to rethink the dimensions of your signature :)
[/quote]
Seconded, it takes up my whole screen...

Horses for courses is what i would say. Each can be useful. I am enjoying fingering using my thumb on the E and A strings and fingers plucking upwards (like classical guitar) on the D and G strings. I use my palm to mute a litte bit down at the bridge. Its not suitable for all tunes but is great for other things. The advantage of this over using foam to mute is that you can easily switch the amount of pressure on the muting hand and change to other styles of playing easily. The first few bars of this song use this technique: [url="http://soundcloud.com/bottome/i-love-dance"]http://soundcloud.com/bottome/i-love-dance[/url]

[quote name='Leemarc Ferguson' timestamp='1321616625' post='1441187']
It does make me wonder how some bass players think if Im honest. I have had this same chat with other players. Some say you have the John Pattitucci or Jaco style of fingering that would blown anyone away but then others have said people like Victor Wooten, Miller, Larry Graham, Stu Hamm their style are forces to be reckoned with.
[/quote]

wearing a pair of adidas boots doesnt mean you can bend it like beckham

why copy someones style when what you really need is to observe how people play and help them develop their own style?

[quote name='Leemarc Ferguson' timestamp='1321618513' post='1441222']
Whoops!! No disrespect guys....I joined the forum a few days ago signature has been readjusted.

I personally think both techniques have their place but I don't understand how some think one is greater than the other :)
[/quote]

No problem!

All techniques have their place, technique is nothing, it's about the musician, whether they have something to say and are able to express it on their instrument.

I think the reason slap has so many haters is because it's a very strident technique which brings the bass forward to lead instrument status in too many cases. It is very easy to get fast at slap but very difficult to play it with any musicality. Men find all things fast attractive so they learn to slap and piss everyone off within earshot because 99% of what they do is completely unmusical and only athletic, but nevertheless think it is impressive.

Edited by silddx

in answer to your original question there is no real answer is there?

to get good at both would require a lot of practice and research - and with regards to discipline isnt it purely down to the amount of self-discipline they have? you could teach somebody slap technique exactly like VW but then they would need the self discipline to keep repeatedly practising it over and over until its perfect

Edited by steve-bbb

Hey Leemarc, welcome to the forum - it's good to have you aboard. You might like to place your advert in your signature in the Bass Tutors section if you haven't already and if you can please, shrink down the size of your signature banner a wee bit more. Mebbe have a horizontal one instead ;o) Have a look at other user's sigs for a guide.

Cheers!

I have little to contribute but was thinking 'my god this signature is huge and a little bit like SPAM' - not realising until I finished reading the thread it was the small version!

I play with a pick almost exclusively but have spent some time with slap and fingerstyle, sort of equally, to try and be more rounded in my playing (as opposed to my waistline, which I have managed to get more rounded in quite well). I have reached a point where I can play an elementary slap well enough for a track or two that I think it suits when gigging but am still unable to get enough control or accuracy playing fingerstyle to unleash it on an unsuspecting public.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1321622648' post='1441309']
I have little to contribute but was thinking 'my god this signature is huge and a little bit like SPAM' - not realising until I finished reading the thread it was the small version!

I play with a pick almost exclusively but have spent some time with slap and fingerstyle, sort of equally, to try and be more rounded in my playing (as opposed to my waistline, which I have managed to get more rounded in quite well). I have reached a point where I can play an elementary slap well enough for a track or two that I think it suits when gigging but am still unable to get enough control or accuracy playing fingerstyle to unleash it on an unsuspecting public.
[/quote]

To my eyes his new reduced sig is no bigger than yours or sildx's? :)

I think this is one of those questions that depend on which analytical technique you use... ‘Objective’ or ‘Subjective’...? Visa-vi the answers that are on here!

In my experience I have thus far found that the older one gets the more the more objective one’s view of a piece of music and approach seems to have become. In short... less idealistic and more conceptual... although I will admit that ‘discipline’ in anything has never been a particular strong point of mine!

Subjectively of course it also depends on how mechanical you want to play (or how mechanical your ‘over sensitive guitarist/songwriter’ wants you to play), what your drummer does, or doesn’t do to aid and abet your bass lines etc. What the dynamics of a piece of music are... is there scope / room to play what you want etc. But this is all dependant upon being in a situation where you are playing with other musicians as part of a band to achieve a specific goal or collective end result.

I can however understand someone wanting to be ‘the best’ in a particular way, and to that end there are some fantastic solo bassists, ‘slappers’ and fingers’ out there making the rest of us look like total amateurs! A natural aptitude toward a particular instrument or ‘style’ is also a very important factor as is motivation and dedication, a lot of my mates who started playing instruments in bands in the 1970s primary motivation was that it helped to ‘pull the birds’, however some of them have gone on to become very fine musicians... and some of them are now accountants!

Personally I buy into the concept of playing ‘philosophically’ which requires a good (holistic) listening ear and a creative streak that isn’t over egotistical...! I think the ‘discipline’ of learning and employing one technique or other can be counter productive creatively if you are not versatile enough to play what the song / tune demands! For me I guess the discipline comes from necessity in this respect. Having said that it’s very much a case of using a mixture of techniques, including a bit of ‘popping’ and ‘tapping’ here and there, I’m basically a ‘finger’ player, but if I feel that a piece demands different I want to be able to produce the goods.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to ‘upgrade’ your bass skills, in any direction, all I’m saying is that there is more to it than just getting those stubborn little digits on the ends of your arms to do the dirty work...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1321625001' post='1441344']
To my eyes his new reduced sig is no bigger than yours or sildx's? :)
[/quote]

Interesting.

I just measured a few, as they appear on my screen.

Leemarc's is 132mm in between the lines of the signature.
Nigel's is 106mm
mine was 98mm
yours a compact 61mm

So either my screen, my ruler or your eyes are in need of some attention :)

But you are right, my signature was far too big - no-one gives a toss about my gear list or band links so I have edited out all the sh*te :) .

From my own personal experience slapping out of context can you you fired off a gig.

I have played for bands that want that slap/thump and bass solos but have also played for bands that require just the simplest of bass lines are either one better than the other? No I dont think so really - If I want to continue getting paid its my job to be flexible and play what the music director wants

I've been to many gigs where young kids are making a whole load of noise on the bass slapping thing and just show boating....no musicality at all and quite frankly its embarrassing.

I appreciate all types of bass playing because I know to play the bass well isnt easy at all. I appreciate what paul mccartney does right through to the likes of victor wooten. I posed the question because it does raise very interesting answers - love reading what others have to say.

Didnt think my signature would have been a part of it though LOOOL :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1321627310' post='1441392']
I dont think you should delete it all Paul in fact I wasn't bothered that it was there at all :) Just pointing out that the two people complaining were only slightly smaller although I see Nigels has shrunk a little bit too :) we all needed a tidy up so its all good IMO :)
[/quote]

Um, you clearly have only seen the smaller version mate. The original (which had correct aspect ratio) was over double that size.

:o