Why become a member? ×

At last my own build (assembly) diary

Twigman

...So I have finally pulled the trigger on my P-J project.

I decided to build myself a Warmoth P-J.

Parts so far

Showcase P-bass body (currently unfinished alder but being finished by Warmoth in 'Charger Green')
Showcase J-bass neck (maple/rosewood/slim taper/steel rods/TUSQ nut/Vintage Gloss finish)

A brand new genuine Fender '62 4ply tort plate that I bought a few years ago
Schaller Chrome cloverleaf machineheads
Gotoh 201 bridge

Planning on having a stacked concentric Vol/tone + Vol knobs with the jack in the plate position - have ordered all the pots and stuff from various places and plan on converting the 250k/500k stacked pot to 250k/250k - vintage style knurled chrome knobs

Still looking at pickup options - I've got a few weeks yet before the parts arrive (I have after all just pulled the trigger on the order - but couldn't wait to get 'my thread' started)........

First choice at the moment looks to be a Wizard P/J (Big) set.........but many other recommendations are coming through on another thread....

I know the colour is hardly 'adventurous' - no flash wood grain or whacky bursts - and it seems Fender never offered this colour (it's not available from the Custom Shop - I checked) but I seem to remember being impressed by a bass this colour when I was a very young lad in the late 60s and the vision of that bass has stuck with me all those years and it had to be that colour....I think the contrast of the 'charger green' with the brown tort plate and the rosewood board will look smashing....

Anyway - I suppose that's it for a few weeks until the parts arrive.....watch this space

Edited by Twigman

first parts arrived today:

A couple of pots and some cloth wire from Allparts - LOL - the stacked concentric that I am going to have transplant surgery with one of these pots is on backorder....what's the betting that won't arrive until all the rest of the bass has arrived and is assembled already?

Spoke to Warmoth last night as I had screwed up on the rout instructions and luckily they caught the wood before it went to the machine shop. Apparently mine was the next body on the router!!
anyway chap there said it should ship in 4 or 5 weeks.....I wonder if it'll be here for Xmas?

Warmoth are painting mine in their solid 'Charger Green' colour.....now I'm not sure I've ever seen a bass (or even a guitar) finished in that colour, apart from the one I think I saw when I was very very young back in the late 60s....has anyone else? If so has anyone got any pics so I might see what I've let myself in for?
Every monitor I look at the Warmoth body finish page on gives the body a different shade - each monitor must be calibrated differently but if I were to see it next to some 'known' colour (grass/sky/skin etc) and in normal daylight or under flash I might get a better idea.

Or should I wait and be surprised by the reality?

I've had a few Warmoth parts in the past few years, including both showcase and custom made things, and despite some minor hesitations about what the final product will be like, it has always exceeded my expectations. If it were me, I'd wait and be surprised. That's part of the fun for Warmoth IMO. Best of luck with the project!

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1321451370' post='1439283']
This waiting's killing me and we're only 1 week in to a 5 week wait.......
[/quote]

You wan't to try a 9 month build... My girlfriend hated me for a while because of that.

She can name every single wood on my ACG :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1321466308' post='1439572']
You wan't to try a 9 month build...
[/quote]
i could handle a 9 month build if I had the parts.....it might well take me 9 months when I do get them, who knows? it's the waiting for the parts that's doing my head in....

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1321052081' post='1435049']
Warmoth are painting mine in their solid 'Charger Green' colour.....now I'm not sure I've ever seen a bass (or even a guitar) finished in that colour, apart from the one I think I saw when I was very very young back in the late 60s....has anyone else? If so has anyone got any pics so I might see what I've let myself in for?
[/quote]

Dangerous Dan Devious on Uglybassplayer had a charger green Warmoth, although lots of pics went when the forum died, I found this vid of it though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezj5zdp0Js8

22/11/11 Bridge and Tuners arrived today.......and a few other bits of hardware....it's beginning to feel real....

That up there ^^^^ does look VERY green...I know green is not a popular colour on a bass - at least nobody'll want to nick it.

I work with Steve Greetham (formerly bass with Annabel Lamb and Happhead (Shriekback side project)) and told him about my little project, the first question he asked was "What colour will it be?", I said nothing so he follows up with "So long as it's not green..." I remained silent....LOL

24/11/11 Pickups arrived and the stacked concentric pot and a couple of other odds and sods.

PUPs are: Fender original '62 USA precision pup + Allparts Jazz bridge pick up.

The stacked concentric pot which came with 500k on top and 250k on bottom now has 250k top and bottom thanks to my man down in the electronics repair room who butchered another 250k to swap the wiper over.

....so now only waiting for the body and neck.......tick tock

Edited by Twigman

wwiting anxiously for UPS

i got a phone call earlier that nearly gave me a heart attack:

Caller: Hi, it's Tony whatever from UPS at East Midlands airport here, I've got a shipment for you.
Me: Great!
Caller: I'm calling you because I need the import duties and VAT settling.
Me: OK, i was expecting to pay that to the courier on delivery.
Caller: We only allow that where the liability is less then £1500.
Me: But the shipment is only worth $800 maximum?!!?
Caller: The dities payable come to £2210.15
Me: HOW MUCH???!!!!?????
Caller: £2210.15
Me: Er - where's this shipment coming from
Caller: <- some company other than Warmoth>
Me: thank f*** for that!

Turns out it was an import by my company and not my bass.

Still then checked the tracker and it was put on a van in Luton at 07.42 this morning.........

The colour in the pic isn't quite what I see with my own eyes...I'd say it's closer to the green used in the 'Pinned' labels on threads at the top of this forum (on the basschat skin and [i]my[/i] monitor)......
I will attempt to take pics at all stages

OK so I've never done this before

First tricky job was how to push the machine head bushings in.......
I don't have a vice so a 3" G clamp, 2 pieces of wood and some corrugated cardboard came to my rescue;

and bingo the bushings go in:

and eventually:

Then I discover I can't find the collet to hold my tiny drill bits....so tuning machine heads will have to wait until I have tracked them down or bought another at B&Q on Saturday....hopefully.

Anyway I set about shielding the body:

I copper taped the bridge earth point to get a good contact with the brisge. I am going to solder the earth wire to a tag which is screwed into the copper lined recess...should guarantee bridge eathing.

I also shielded the underside of the pickguard (bit blurry sorry):

....so now I need to find a smaller collet for my Dremel.....trip to B&Q today.....