Why become a member? ×

NBD & NCD happy shopping!

andydye

So, I took my G&L L1505, Overwater/Tanglewood Aspiration 4 Elite and EBS Dynaverb to the Gallery on Saturday along with the Epifani UL112 that needed looking at and I left with...

2 x Epifani UL112 series 2 including nice padded covers
Lakland 55-01 Limited Edition Blue Burst

Happy times! Although lightweight cabs are only light feeling over short distances!

I wanted to try a Yamaha 6 string they had in to see if 6'ers would suit me at all and...they don't! I tried the Yam TRB1006 and a Warwick Streamer 6 and frankly they didn't do it for me, a whole bunch of notes 'I' don't need to play cos someone else is doing those...I mostly hold down the bottom end with a few forays up 'that' end!

I also tried:
Stingray5 - just for home comparison as I've got one at home...obviously nice enough but I was looking for a complementary yet different sound to go with it...
Lakland 55-01 - shockingly nice for the money!
Overwater Tanglewood Contemporary Jazz 5 - ok but nothing to excite me
Sadowsky UV70-RW-5 - simply stunning! feel and sound! utterly lovely! Way too expensive for this month though!
Warwick Streamer 5 - same old same old, slightly sticky baseball bat neck etc
Fender USA Jazz 5 Deluxe - dull, fat slow neck, nothing special at all
Sei Jazz 5 - nice, very nice, but not as nice 'wow' as I was expecting, sounded good though!
Dingwall 5 - kinda fun, felt dizzy looking down accross the frets, fingerboard felt a bit cheap and unfinished
Spector 5 - beautiful looking but not that exciting sounding
Yamaha TRB1005 - fairly nice but not a patch on the Lakland

All tried through the shop's Randy Jackson Mark Bass valve head and a schroeder 4x10 I think it was...I have to say everything sounded way nicer through my Epi cabs when we were testing those!

So, having tried just about every 5 string in the shop I brought the Lakland home while lusting after a Sadowsky one day!

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1320229387' post='1423928']
That is one nice Lakland. I sometimes wish i could go in to a shop and come out with something like that, normally its a few picks or a pack of strings for me.

Liam
[/quote]

Thanks matey, it's very pretty! Sounds amazing too! Sooo good for the 'relatively' small price (same price as a normal 55-01).

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1320229980' post='1423939']

Thanks matey, it's very pretty! Sounds amazing too! Sooo good for the 'relatively' small price (same price as a normal 55-01).
[/quote]

Yeah, every Lakland i've played (Only been 2 or 3 though) has been well worth the cash, and 55-01's are relatively low priced compared to some basses, and easily worth even more.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1320232875' post='1423980']

Yeah, every Lakland i've played (Only been 2 or 3 though) has been well worth the cash, and 55-01's are relatively low priced compared to some basses, and easily worth even more.

Liam
[/quote]

Absolutely!

I am very blessed to have worked part-time in a guitar shop for a few years while I lived at home and also had a 'proper' job so I had the opportunity to build up quite a bit of gear (at special prices) while I had no outgoings...it now means that I can trade a few bits to get something even nicer...it does also mean that trading is kinda in my blood too

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1320234448' post='1424011']
Sounds like a great day out
[/quote]

Oh yes, I had a lovely time trying all the basses I'd been wondering about and Alex was really helpful keeping bringing me different stuff to try out, I think I tried most things in the shop!

He makes a good coffee too!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1320234898' post='1424024']
Like to look of the Sad J5... muchley

didn't get to try the AC..??
[/quote]

I saw the AC on the wall, I spotted a Wal too but the one I saw was 4 string and I was looking at 5s...

• 1 month later...

Happy days mate :)
I've only tried a couple of Laklands in the past, thanks to [b]funkle[/b], a Daryl Jones which was very nice, not quite my thing, but his 44-02 was simply outstanding!
I think they were both Skyline models but the fit and finish on both were fantastic, and the tone and playability of the 44-02 was amazing!

Cheers,
Eude

Thats a lovely Lakland. My first Lakland was a bog standard black 55-01 but i was very impressed with it. The shop (the Bass Centre) had about 7 of them and all were set up perfectly and all played well. Choosing one was a non issue.
One day i will have another, and hopefully one like this. I thought the black one was very boring and plain looking.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1323944848' post='1468882']
Happy days mate :)
I've only tried a couple of Laklands in the past, thanks to [b]funkle[/b], a Daryl Jones which was very nice, not quite my thing, but his 44-02 was simply outstanding!
I think they were both Skyline models but the fit and finish on both were fantastic, and the tone and playability of the 44-02 was amazing!

Cheers,
Eude [/quote]

Thanks matey!

Agreed, I tried a DJ 5 string a while back and didn't like it at all but the 55-01 did it for me straight away! The workmanship is way above the price tag and the sound is superb! I have taken a further Lakland plunge and ordered a 55-02 from the Gallery yesterday!

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1323945122' post='1468891']
Thats a lovely Lakland. My first Lakland was a bog standard black 55-01 but i was very impressed with it. The shop (the Bass Centre) had about 7 of them and all were set up perfectly and all played well. Choosing one was a non issue.
One day i will have another, and hopefully one like this. I thought the black one was very boring and plain looking.
[/quote]

Aaahh, thanks matey! She's a beauty! The finish is fab (suspect it's photoflame rather than a quilted cap but still...!), very pretty! The 'plekked' thing appears to be magic, it plays magnificently, the neck is the nicest maple neck I've ever tried (I've always hated maple and have had rosewood whenever possible!)

The 55-02 std that's on it's way is natural with a maple fingerboard so very pretty but in a different way...

Its definitely a good colour combo. I love Lakland necks, although i did prefer my DJ5 neck to the 55-01 (and my current JO4 that i have on my Squier), more so for the matching headstock and the blocks but all feel fantastic.
I too have always avoided maple but now i have a thing for them, i think they looks great on the right colour body.

Good luck with the 55-02, that too sound fantastic. I almost got a 44-02 last year in natural/maple. Great looking bass.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1323950512' post='1468996']
Its definitely a good colour combo. I love Lakland necks, although i did prefer my DJ5 neck to the 55-01 (and my current JO4 that i have on my Squier), more so for the matching headstock and the blocks but all feel fantastic.
I too have always avoided maple but now i have a thing for them, i think they looks great on the right colour body.

Good luck with the 55-02, that too sound fantastic. I almost got a 44-02 last year in natural/maple. Great looking bass.
[/quote]

Thanks matey, it's funny how tastes and 'what feels right' change as we age disgracefully...

I think there's a 3 month wait before it arrives but once it does there'll be pics aplenty!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1323951269' post='1469013']
I'd still like a JO/DJ5 at some point, although now I think its a 55-60 and thats it?
[/quote]

Yep, apparently the 44-60 / 55-60 is the new Joe Osborne thingy...looks real pretty!

[url="http://www.lakland.com/44-60.htm"]http://www.lakland.com/44-60.htm[/url]