Why become a member? ×

Where are the UK Warmoth, Mighty Mite and Best Bass Gear?

discreet

[b]Where are the UK Warmoth, Mighty Mite and Best Bass Gear?[/b]

Having lately become more interested in putting together a bass or two for my own amusement, I have found that certain quality bass components don't seem to be available in the UK, or if they are then they are stupidly expensive compared to the price of similar items overseas. Which then become just as expensive when you take into account shipping to the UK, tax and insurance, import duty, and so forth.

And on the rare occasion one does find the required item in the UK at a decent price it is inevitably out of stock!

Are there no UK equivalents to Warmoth or Mighty Mite or Best Bass Gear, for example, or am I missing something?

Are my Googling skills just crap, or is there a genuine niche in the UK market for bass-dabblers such as myself who want a good selection of quality components quickly and at a reasonable price?

If this is the case, perhaps some of us should get together and sort this out pronto!

If this is not the case, perhaps you could point me in the right direction on the interweb!

I thank you.

Thanks very much for the info! :)

All good, CH Guitars not bad, some of the others I was already aware of. But consider allparts.co.uk - every single bass neck (apart from one) is out of stock! Bass bodies are either out of stock and/or prohibitively expensive!

When you look at the range and versatility of what's on offer at Warmoth USA, there is no equivalent company doing this here. Why?

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1319984102' post='1420799']
CH guitars and Twin-cam on Ebay seem to have some decent stuff
[/quote]

I built my Funker Derision bitsa PJ from CH Guitars bits ([url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/96658-non-sparkle-precision-project/page__st__20__p__1307348#entry1307348"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/96658-non-sparkle-precision-project/page__st__20__p__1307348#entry1307348[/url])

IMHO, they're REALLY good quality for not a huge cost.

T

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1319987103' post='1420856']
I built my Funker Derision bitsa PJ from CH Guitars bits ([url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/96658-non-sparkle-precision-project/page__st__20__p__1307348#entry1307348"]http://basschat.co.u...48#entry1307348[/url])
[/quote]
Thanks for this T, missed this one! Nice work. :)

I got a Jazz neck from CH and was impressed with it for the money I paid, around 60 if I remember. I have it fitted to my VMJ and apart from a slight gap of around 1 mm at the neck pocket, it`s fine. And the gap is no worse than on some 70`s Fenders I have seen :)
The frets are nicley done, no sharp edges and it comes with the nut fitted and cut. I will try one of their bodies in the future as the one`s from Allparts are shockinly expensive.

Jez

Thanks Jez. CH looking more favourable. As far as I can figure Allparts kit (if you can get it) is expensive because it is good. I read somewhere on BC that as far as necks go (for example) MM are good, but Allparts are better.

I suppose (as usual) you get what you pay for.

Thanks for these, Skank!

I have managed to find a source on the Bay who will do what I want body-wise, which is an unfinished alder P-Bass body, split pickup rout (but accurate to pup shape as no pg) but with a 51 control plate rout, drilled for bridge and pup wiring and with side socket.

The crazed among you will recognise this as a 'Mike Dirnt'-style P-Bass body - not easily purchased off-the-shelf.

(Don't worry, I'm not doing a Mike-Dirnt clone. I have no interest in M. Dirnt, or indeed G. Day). :)

Edit for something or other.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1319986091' post='1420841']
When you look at the range and versatility of what's on offer at Warmoth USA, there is no equivalent company doing this here. Why?
[/quote]
Our country is much bigger than yours :) You need a lot of customers to make money doing discount stuff.

Here's another US that will ship to the UK company, though it will still be more expensive for you than us.

http://www.stewmac.com/international.html

I'm gonna get the neck and body for my Ultimate Bitsa (tm) from Warmoth - nothing out there to touch them IMHO, and I'm after some bling wood in the shape of birdseye maple and black korina. I've got a mate in the US who I can get the bits shipped to who will then ship them on to me - I think some Xmas wrapping paper should do the trick... :) Shame the Warmoth T-Bird body is such an odd shape around the neck pocket, rules a Super-Fenderbird out... :)

My two main basses have got MM necks, and they're as good as anything I've used out of Corona. The P neck is better than the J neck fretwise, so I think there's an element of pot luck involved (but nothing a fret dress hasn't sorted out completely), but neither are anywhere near what you'd expect for the price: they're so much better. It all depends on your budget, but I'd recommend them completely.

I've got a real hankering for an all-wenge J-neck on my black P, too. Mmmm.....

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1320059205' post='1421606']
I'm gonna get the neck and body for my Ultimate Bitsa ™ from Warmoth - nothing out there to touch them IMHO, and I'm after some bling wood in the shape of birdseye maple and black korina. I've got a mate in the US who I can get the bits shipped to who will then ship them on to me - I think some Xmas wrapping paper should do the trick... :) Shame the Warmoth T-Bird body is such an odd shape around the neck pocket, rules a Super-Fenderbird out... :)

My two main basses have got MM necks, and they're as good as anything I've used out of Corona. The P neck is better than the J neck fretwise, so I think there's an element of pot luck involved (but nothing a fret dress hasn't sorted out completely), but neither are anywhere near what you'd expect for the price: they're so much better. It all depends on your budget, but I'd recommend them completely.

I've got a real hankering for an all-wenge J-neck on my black P, too. Mmmm.....
[/quote]

+1

As far as choice and finish go, Warmoth is the daddy for parts. Very well put together and finished. Everything just slots into place