Why become a member? ×

Practice Amps - Ringing Laney

cytania

My four year old trusty Laney Richter 1 is making a headache inducing high-pitched ringing. It's like string harmonics even if the strings vibrate minutely. I think this problem is more apparent since I got a decent cable from obbm/RockWire.

Now looking for a practice amp. Thought of an Eden N8 but noticed a review that mentioned treble/string noise on this too.

Anyone know the Line6 Lowdown Studio 110, I like the sound of this as it has DI out so could be used if the stage rig fails. There's also the Roland Cubes and Phil Jones Cub...

Or should I be going virtual? Amp simulator on the computer or in a pod? But I'm not keen on headphones...

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, when I got home I tried the Laney and wondered what I was fussing about, but having just practiced for a while I am hearing that whiney ring again. Tried it with my backup bass which sounded fine at soundcheck last week but comes over shockingly hollow on the Laney.

It may just be that over time my ears are demanding more bass less treble. The ring is subtle but needle-ing me...

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1319872397' post='1419477']
Swaying towards Roland, Ok there's no DI.
[/quote]

Another +1 for the Roland Cube.
Overall, it's probably the best bit of kit I've ever bought (and I've bought lots :) )

Mine is a cube 100 and it does have a DI out. Plus the internal speaker stays on when you use it, which makes the combo an excellent stage monitor. Maybe the smaller wattage models don't have DI. The 100 is still quite compact and a one-hand carry, so I'd recommend you take a look if you're interested in a Roland.