Why become a member? ×

DR DDT Bass string question?

Cameronj279

TBH I wouldn't recommend it. Its essentially the same as tuning a low B string to E.
By constantly altering the tuning you'll be decreasing the strenght of the strings. I'd actually just buy a secondhand Squier and leave that at standard tuning for your collage work. You can get them for around the same price as 3 new sets of strings.

I was just curious really 'cause I tune from F#BF#BE to CEADG and I really can't afford a new bass at the moment (the only bass I want is a Warwick thumb unfortunatley). I currently use DR Neons (heaviest gauge they make in them?) and they sound decent when drop-tunes but not much stability if that makes any sense?

The 55-115 set will be too heavy for standard tuning, I have tried it. Depending on the bass you have, you will probably need a serious truss rod tweak at the least. They're about right for C standard, which is what I use this guage of DDT's for.

It's amazing how low you can go with the lighter guages. I've had my Les Paul bass tuned C standard on a 45-105 set, and the tunings were still stable, although you do have to play with a lighter touch. I have the 45-125 set on my 5 string Alembic, which gets tuned ADADG in one band, then the whole lot dropped down 1 for the other band, and they work like a charm.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1319400668' post='1413759']
I'm using 50 gauge Rotosound flats and they're 50, 75, 95, 110 so it should be possible but you may have to adjust your bass every time you go from dropped tunings to standard and vise versa
[/quote]

Never quoted myself before but seem to have been ignored here :)

I use 50, 75, 75 110 gauge strings in standard tuning and when I used a 5 string would use a 135 as a B

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1319437569' post='1413960']

Never quoted myself before but seem to have been ignored here :)

I use 50, 75, 75 110 gauge strings in standard tuning and when I used a 5 string would use a 135 as a B
[/quote]

Not ignored, did give your comment some thought actually :)

Had Roto flats on a couple of mine in the past, and used them for drop D tuning. Very high tension strings, that did require a good deal of tweaking on the truss rod. Should imagine that they can handle some drop tuning quite well actually.

Loved the initial sound of them, when they were still quite bright out the packet,, and especially liked the feel of them, and the reduced string noise, but settled to that warm flat wound sound very quickly, but I prefer bright sounding strings, so went back to rounds. Often considered half rounds actually.........Best of both worlds?

There might be more to these strings than gauge, you can do stuff with the core to change the tension and tuning without altering gauge, so probably aren't comparable with other brands of same thicknesses. I use .055 to.115 in standard on one of my basses, is doable, but they are daddario steels.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1319450753' post='1414095']
I would do that but if I'm honest I just can't afford to at the moment
[/quote]

Part of the problem with changing the tuning on a regular basis is the fact that no matter what strings you use they will go dead VERY quickly.

I would use some D'addario prosteels for the time being in .110 thickness as it WILL manage both but won't feel great while you are downtuned if I'm honest.

However it is worth bearing in mind that once you've gone through 5 sets of strings you've probably spent approx £100 on strings which could have got you a cheapy bass off of here.

FWIW when I was changing my tuning regularly I got through a set of strings a month, EASILY!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1319457101' post='1414233']
There might be more to these strings than gauge, you can do stuff with the core to change the tension and tuning without altering gauge, so probably aren't comparable with other brands of same thicknesses. I use .055 to.115 in standard on one of my basses, is doable, but they are daddario steels.
[/quote]

There's some bloody clever stuff with tension cores around, my Newtones are great for CGCF (it's what they were designed for) and play nearly the same as a bass in standard tuning. Gauge? .110

Very happy bunny!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1319457411' post='1414242']

There's some bloody clever stuff with tension cores around, my Newtones are great for CGCF (it's what they were designed for) and play nearly the same as a bass in standard tuning. Gauge? .110

[/quote]

Do you mean they play as if they were in standard? or they play well in standard?

I sent a few e-mails to Newtone strings about getting some strings ordered and they completely blanked my second e-mail....not great customer service if you ask me!

They have always gotten back to me...but they are a small unit so I would phone them if I needed an answer on something
I also think they are making great strings but a custom order might take a few weeks. That and office admin is the price you pay for small hands-on companies....and it isn't a problem
for me.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1319497094' post='1415018']

Do you mean they play as if they were in standard? or they play well in standard?

I sent a few e-mails to Newtone strings about getting some strings ordered and they completely blanked my second e-mail....not great customer service if you ask me!
[/quote]

Basically the tension when tuned to CGCF is the same as say prosteels tuned to EADG.

Customer service isn't too bad but you are better off on the fine