Why become a member? ×

how much do we charge for new years eve

dabootsy

Hi all
we are a 5 piece rock cover band who basically do pubs we are getting top feedback from everywhere we play,
could anyone give me a few ideas on the minimum we should charge for New Years Eve as we do not want to undersell ourselves but then again we do not want to over price either

While we are at it how much do you charge for a regular night in comparison

Could do with your help

Ta

Last quote we gave was for a gig in Dubai on New Years, which we asked £5k plus expenses (flights, accommodation, food, backline hire etc.). We're still waiting to hear back but they didn't dismiss us out of hand.

Have to admit that we don't charge quite that much lol and we have never done a New Years Eve gig due to some of the band not being available but I think we would be looking at about double our normal rate and it would depend on where it was.

Like most bands there are some places you like to go back to and others you love going back to so it would depend on that. Personally I would be happy with £100 each plus a few drinks as a fair rate for the evening ( I would rather play in one of our favourite pubs than do a big corporate gig but we would probably want more for that ) so if we were asked by a regular landlord we would probably go out for £80 each ( £480 ) as it would also guarantee us several more gigs for next year.

Sorry to ramble but it really depends on how enjoyable previous gigs have been ( some gigs are so enjoyable I would pay to play if asked nicely lol )

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='162065' date='Mar 23 2008, 08:44 AM']I think we would be looking at about double our normal rate and it would depend on where it was.[/quote]
Thats the approach we took too. There ARE up to 10 of us. :)

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='162065' date='Mar 23 2008, 09:44 AM']Have to admit that we don't charge quite that much lol and we have never done a New Years Eve gig due to some of the band not being available but I think we would be looking at about double our normal rate and it would depend on where it was.

Like most bands there are some places you like to go back to and others you love going back to so it would depend on that. Personally I would be happy with £100 each plus a few drinks as a fair rate for the evening ( I would rather play in one of our favourite pubs than do a big corporate gig but we would probably want more for that ) so if we were asked by a regular landlord we would probably go out for £80 each ( £480 ) as it would also guarantee us several more gigs for next year.

Sorry to ramble but it really depends on how enjoyable previous gigs have been ( some gigs are so enjoyable I would pay to play if asked nicely lol )[/quote]
Sounds similar to us, but in Euros. Mind you, there's not much difference these days :) :huh:

Most pubs would expect to pay up to £500. If it's a private function/Corporate... It's a hell of a lot more.... Also depends on how serious your band is... if your just a weekend pub band then I doubt you'll pull much more than this... If your a serious function band £5k + is not out the question

Agree that it depends what type of band you are (hobby or function) and what type of venue. Only discount if it will be fun/you know the landlord/regulars etc etc. It is a great gig but a long night usually with a horrific get out as you try to negotiate through the drunks to load up the cars. It's usually like trying to pick your way past the zombies in Shaun Of The Dead.

Last year, I remember pushing my bass cab into the hallway of the venue only for a drunk bloke to immediately sit on it and carry on his loud conversation with his mate. How rude!

Edit: and to answer your Q - we're a three piece covers band and charged £900 in venue that normally pays £250. It's also the one gig where you need to negotiatate stuff in advance like a free bar tab for band and free entry for WAGs.

Edited by stingrayfan

Last year we got £600 for a 5 piece, which at least one member thought that it was too low. However when you consider that that pub would normally pay £250 ita just over double or £120 per person I don't think it was unreasonable.

If its a private function it would have been anything above £1k that I could have negotiated.

I guess its down to are you doing it for money, fun or because you have too! and also where do you want to be on New Years Eve...

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='162104' date='Mar 23 2008, 10:57 AM']NY eve just passed we (4 piece rock band) got £500 for a pub gig, our normal fee for the same venue is £200.[/quote]

Yeah 2.5 times normal, if you want to do the gig... 3 times normal if you don't really want to but would if they pay the extra and £stupidloads if your don't want to do it or don't care either way.

Playing at midnight on NYE can be unrewarding and hard work... and you're working when everyone else if getting drunk and having a good time so take that into account.

Playing earlier on teh bill can be a hoot 'cos you get to celebrate midnight with your friends in the audience whilst someone else works hard on stage :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='163251' date='Mar 25 2008, 04:48 PM']We're booked at £750 (3 times the average pub fee). Last year we got £900 and two years before that £1300, is there a message in that? :huh:[/quote]
Yep Alan,
Venues are disappearing or losing custom so the money men are not that keen on paying as much as they used to.
Last NYE we got £750 + 20 free tickets for WAG's and free food and drink all night. The venue is now up For Sale. Now is there a message in that :)
Nearly all the regular venues we play are offering less dosh this year with the exception of a pub last Friday. The pub band had to play as a 4 piece and we had the best gig in yonks. We had the place jumping and the crowd wouldn't let us finish.
Landlord gave us an extra £20 ;)

For the last 4 years we have played working mens clubs. normally go out for between £370 -£450 (to us after agent takes his cut).
For NYE we dont go out for less than £1100 to us.
These places charge a ticket fee for NYE parties so they are also making a lot more than on a normal night. Its only right that if we give up our NYE to go and play then we should also get more.
Of course its all down to if the venue wants to pay that much but we have been lucky i guess.
My other band go out for more but these would be private parties where the budget can be flexible.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='162123' date='Mar 23 2008, 11:30 AM']Edit: and to answer your Q - we're a three piece covers band and charged £900 in venue that normally pays £250. It's also the one gig where you need to negotiatate stuff in advance like a free bar tab for band and free entry for WAGs.[/quote]
+1

We're booked out this coming NYE for the first time and have agreed a deal at 5 times our normal rate + food + drinks for the band and our WAGS, so we're very pleased to say the least!!

We actually had 3 very good offers for the night, so were (justifiably) able to haggle for the best deal we could get.. It's a nice pub with a good landlord and a regular crowd who like music and fortunately, like the band, so we're looking forward to it! :)

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='164233' date='Mar 27 2008, 04:11 AM']My basis of computation was if I needed a dep on the night what would it cost me to get cover to fulfill the gig - double, triple? Can I find one at short notice to cover the gig on Xmas/Eve NYE if say, my drummer sprained his wrist? (which he did, thankfully he sent his schooled drumming son to cover); multiply that by the number of players, add your overheads and you have your fee.[/quote]

That's a damn good point, I wonder how many of us 'pub bands' consider that when we're being booked for anything other than regular pub gigs?