Why become a member? ×

Ampeg stack idea

indiegrungesound

Just had a brainwave/crazy idea about a possible Ampeg stack.

I'm toying with the idea of getting 2 Ampeg SVT210AV cabs to replace my Warwick 12" cabs to go with my PF-350 head.

The pros are that they are lighter that my Warwicks & dimension & aesthetics wise would look perfect with the PF-350.(They're also cheaper than the equivalent Portaflex cabs that the PF-350's supposed to go with)

The cons are that 1 cab wouldn't be able to handle the heads 250w 8 ohm output, whilst 2 wouldn't be able to handle my LH500 amp.
(I would be willing to get 'round this by shelling out for some Celestion Neo 10"s to replace the stock Eminance drivers-thus allowing for a future upgrade to a PF-500.)

So, is this a good idea? If anyone can give me pointers, I'd be dead grateful!

Well each of the cabs will handle 200 watts, so unless at the larger gigs you really push the LH500, you would probably be ok. I had one of these cabs, and they really sound great. And they are so light it wouldn`t be a problem taking both to your smaller gigs when you use the PF-350.

But, as Bremen said, Barefaced cabs are a good, if costly way, forward. Able to handle much more power, and higher db rating, so better performance.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1318919752' post='1407636']
....Barefaced cabs are a good, if costly way, forward.....
[/quote]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Really? [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]2 of these Ampeg cabs cost around £560. Add on the cost of 4 replacement speakers and you're right up there close to the price of a Barefaced S12, which, I would bet, is a significantly better buy than what the OP is proposing.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=Arial] [/font][/size][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1318935764' post='1407837']
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Really? [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]2 of these Ampeg cabs cost around £560. Add on the cost of 4 replacement speakers and you're right up there close to the price of a Barefaced S12, which, I would bet, is a significantly better buy than what the OP is proposing.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=Arial] [/font][/size][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font][/quote]

See what you mean Chris, was thinking of two Barefaced cabs, which is + £1000, as opposed to two 210 AVs, but the S12 would be a great stand-alone cab. Bareface, imo, work really well with Ampeg, as they just put out what you put in, so lovely Ampeg sound all the way.

Unless you want quite a lot of bottom/volume without much power, super 15 might be bit overkill. I'm using pretty low powered amps with it, with lots of watts, it keeps getting louder, that bit of Ampeggy drive that knocks up the percieved volume would make for really obnoxious volume (which is my thing, but I got neighbour complaints playing a 70w amp on two, in an industrial estate).

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1318961236' post='1408343']
Unless you want quite a lot of bottom/volume without much power, super 15 might be bit overkill. I'm using pretty low powered amps with it, with lots of watts, it keeps getting louder, that bit of Ampeggy drive that knocks up the percieved volume would make for really obnoxious volume (which is my thing, but I got neighbour complaints playing a 70w amp on two, in an industrial estate).
[/quote]

"Really obnoxious volume... which is my thing."

I like you even more already, Mr Foxen! :)

In all seriousness, I've been thinking about that model because one of the band's I'm in has THREE guitarists (Going through a 75 watt Peavey VMPYR; a Vox Valvetronic & a Marshall Valvestate head going through a Marshall 4 x 12".) Or would a Super Twelve cab do?

Edited by indiegrungesound

Hmmm, with that amount of guitars, trying to cut through them may not work, whereas having a really solid bottom end would probably do the job better (depending on the style of playing of course). In the above scenario I`d reckon on whichever cab has more lows.

I think the Super 12 would do more than you think it can (going by reports on here, anyway). The lows that the Big Twin can produce (and actually be useful) are as low as 21Hz according to the Barefaced website (and Pantherairsoft). That's lower than the vast majority of cabs! So also a good contender.
Alex will let you give the cab straight back if you're not happy with it.

3 Guitarists? Either well co-ordinated or the vocalist has a hard life! :)

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1319062067' post='1409600']
I think the Super 12 would do more than you think it can (going by reports on here, anyway). The lows that the Big Twin can produce (and actually be useful) are as low as 21Hz according to the Barefaced website (and Pantherairsoft). That's lower than the vast majority of cabs! So also a good contender.
Alex will let you give the cab straight back if you're not happy with it.

3 Guitarists? Either well co-ordinated or the vocalist has a hard life! :)
[/quote]
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1319065711' post='1409644']
It would have them for breakfast! Give Alex a call. He'll discuss what you want to achieve and make recommendations.
[/quote]

I'm quite sure the Super Twelve would do the job. I asked Alex about the cabs over a year ago when i was in another band. He actually said I should just tweak the EQ on my amp then.(Hartke LH500, which I still have & LOVE btw. Just went for the Ampeg because I could use it with just 1 Warwick cab whilst being able to carry it in a rucksack/backpack.)

Again, it'll probably be a case of experimentation. I currently use the Trace Elliot 4x10" at the rehearsal rooms we use with the Ampeg.(Again, The LH500 is slightly bulky to cart around & would overpower the Trace cab.)

Still loving the advice folks! Btw chris_b, the vocalist appreciates your concern... because he's ME! :) :)