Why become a member? ×

Good fretless grooves

ped

Hi folks,

Playing a lot of fretless at the moment. When I practice I like to play along with a tune with a groovy line that repeats itself through the tune a fair bit, so I can elaborate and play around with it. Anyone got any ideas? Simple, groovy lines.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='161455' date='Mar 21 2008, 03:11 PM']Hi folks,

Playing a lot of fretless at the moment. When I practice I like to play along with a tune with a groovy line that repeats itself through the tune a fair bit, so I can elaborate and play around with it. Anyone got any ideas? Simple, groovy lines.

Cheers
ped[/quote]

DJ Food, Coldcut, they use a lot of fun double-bass grooves.

[url="http://www.ninjatune.net/home/"]http://www.ninjatune.net/home/[/url]

[quote name='uptonmark' post='161514' date='Mar 21 2008, 06:00 PM']paul young early stuff

especially the two albums
no parlez
secret of association

pino palladino.... fretless god[/quote]

I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down.

If you can bear it, loop the end of Earth Song by Michael Jackson and whack an octaver on!

[quote name='ped' post='161455' date='Mar 21 2008, 03:11 PM']Playing a lot of fretless at the moment. When I practice I like to play along with a tune with a groovy line that repeats itself through the tune a fair bit, so I can elaborate and play around with it. Anyone got any ideas? Simple, groovy lines.[/quote]
Try Jeff Golub, Soul Sessions and Do It Again.

Thanks so far guys. I know lots of those tunes - Tear Your Playhouse Down in particular as he is using a Vigier Aprege fretless in the video.

I have lots of Jeff Golub albums, why didn't I think of that! Cheers...

not fretless recordings but I often use "Soulpower" set from James Brown to improvise or solidify ideas over.
Harmonically it's pretty straight but the groove goes forever.

"Cold Sweat" for a starter, maybe "I can't stand myself", "I got a feeling"....

Wasn't there a thread on this recently?
+1 on Pino; great playing on "No Parlez" album (Paul Young) & "Music for chameleons" (Gary Numan, as immortalised by Alan Partidge on air bass, but still v cool)
also;
Bad Company ("Feel like makin' love" a great repetitive groove to improvise over)
"Sledgehammer" - Peter Gabriel (Tony Levin)
"Black Velvet" - Alannah Myles
early '80's era Simple Minds
Some of the less esoteric Japan stuff, eg; "Quiet Life" & "Gentlemen take polaroids" albums (Mick Karn of course)
Many funk / disco grooves work even better on fretless; eg any Chic/Sister Sledge, "Ain't no stopping us now" (McFadden & Whitehead), "Boogie Oogie Oogie" (Taste of Honey), "Boogie Nights" (Heatwave - nice intro) "Boogie on Reggae Woman" (Stevie Wonder) etc etc

Great stuff thanks guys - lots of this I know about and have already, but you know the feeling when you are looking for something and your mind just goes blank... Like every time I go into HMV I totally forget what DVDs I want!

[quote name='Shaggy' post='161814' date='Mar 22 2008, 03:23 PM']Wasn't there a thread on this recently?[/quote]

you could be thinking of mine which was a while ago, i dont think ive seen one more recently...[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6322&hl=fretless+songs+lwtait"]here's[/url] the link to my thread