Why become a member? ×

DI Boxes / Preamps / Practice Tools

uncle psychosis

Hey folks

I'm trying to find the right combination of DI Box / Preamp / Practice Tool for my needs.

At the moment I don't own a giggable bass amp. In the three years that my band has been gigging I've never needed one---either the backline was provided or I've gone DI into the PA.

However, I don't own a DI box of my own, so I reckon I should get one---and this is where the problems start. There are so many options out there, and I'm not which would suit me best.

I want something that will let me go straight to the PA and still sound good, as well as something that I can also use as a practice tool at home for headphone practice (I have a small mixer, so I can go DI to that and then use headphones...or better yet get something that will go straight to headphones). If it can also make whatever generic amp I'm using sound better at the same time that would be a bonus. I'd prefer to just buy one unit so that there is less gear to lug around.

So far I'm tempted by:

DHA DI-EQ
DHA EQ-Bass-Drive (what are the clean sounds like on this? I don't use a lot of overdrive)
Behringer BDI21

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1318239020' post='1399447']

Looks great but its a lot more than I was wanting to spend...£150 is about my limit.
[/quote]

You can get them s/h for about that...there have been a few on here for that and I've been umming and ahing about selling mine as I need the cash but it's really really useful for learning songs so am trying really hard to keep it!

The Behringer BD121 is a great piece of kit. Then, taking into account the price, it becomes a seriously great piece of kit. I`ve recorded with it and the recorded sound is very good.

I`ve a DHA VT1, which doesn`t have DI on it, and that is a fantastic pedal, so would assume that the DHA DI or EQ should be equally good.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1318247223' post='1399581']
The Behringer BD121 is a great piece of kit. Then, taking into account the price, it becomes a seriously great piece of kit. I`ve recorded with it and the recorded sound is very good.

I`ve a DHA VT1, which doesn`t have DI on it, and that is a fantastic pedal, so would assume that the DHA DI or EQ should be equally good.
[/quote]

I'm seriously considering the EQ-Bass-Drive which is a VT1, EQ, and DI box all in a box (with some other goodies too).

My only concern is how "clean" it can go. I'm into reggae / Motown / jazz so want a really nice clean sound.

Do you ever run your VT1 just as a clean preamp? How does it sound?

Thanks

I`ve only used my VT1 to get the valve-type breakup on my solid-state Ampeg practice amp, that Ampeg SVTs get, which it achieves very well. Saying that though, in order to get that, I`ve had to have the gain up quite high, so with lower settings it makes a solid-state amp instantly warmer, but not gainy. The VT1 doesn`t seem to me to be a distortion pedal, more a warmth pedal, if that makes any sense. It just rounds the sound, so crystal clear cleans possibly not.

[quote name='MuckedUpFunkies' timestamp='1318372308' post='1401442']
Aguilar Tone Hammer: Preamp + Di box. I love them but I just cant get hold of a second hand one =/
[/quote]

I've never used the Tone Hammer, so I can't comment on it's tone. The EBS has the advantage that you can connect your headphones directly.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1318238921' post='1399445']
Phil Jones Bass Buddy?
Nice sounding preamp with DI, also has mp3 in so you can mix it into your headphones for learning new songs, I love mine!
[/quote]

This. Well worth it. Mine gets used almost daily!