Why become a member? ×

Bwooarg-har...it lives!

NancyJohnson

A couple of months ago I bought a Sunn Mustang bass from Bluesparky and following a brief exchange with Dave Vader, decided £25 was sufficient to kickstart my love affair with Precision style basses again.

I got a mate to collect, it arrived, sat in my garage for a couple of weeks while I waited for parts to arrive (everything on the body...owes me around £50) and for me to get my arse into gear and take a trip to Halfords for some paint. After a few evenings rubbing down, spraying, rubbing down, soldering etc. the results are below. I honestly can't express how much I love Wilkinson pickups...they're on my Hamer, my last Wolfgang Van Halenesque build and now this. Filthy.

Bolted the whole thing together and it worked straight off...no buzzing, no need to fix the intonation, action was spot on as well. It's like magic.

P

Anyhow, here it is:

[b]EDIT:[/b]
(Sunday morning 11.30am). I just fired this up fully and I'm a little stunned to be honest. Maybe the mass of the body is contributory, but it sounds amazingly good especially considering the ££'s, very pleasing. I generally only utilise the power amp side of an Ashdown ABM using a Sansamp BDDI for my pre-amp shaping, then into the Hartke cabinets. With the Sansamp drive set to the mid-point, it's got raspy Foxton/Burnel quality and dare I say thumping through some YYZ, I can hear a bit of Geddy in there too. Well pleased.
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1318145726' post='1398413']
Not sure, but feasible it could be the same as the ones on the Sue Ryder basses...they do look [i]very [/i]similar.
[/quote]
From those pics it looks identical. I was going to swap mine out with a standard Fender bridge for the look of it, but think this bridge is at least as good if not better, so it's staying. Can always get an ashtray for it if I start to worry about 'authenticity'. Which I won't. :)

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1318149208' post='1398448']
I wish I'd noticed those bridges before ordering a Hipshot, would have saved a fair few quid.
[/quote]
Having said the above, I'm fairly sure a Hipshot bridge represents a superior product and was well worth the extra outlay!

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1318428554' post='1402024']
See, told you they were great didn't I?
[/quote]

You did indeed sir, thanks! I may hunt down another one at some stage. My drummer plays bass in another band and he's already dropping hints at seeing whether I can do one for him if I can source a cheap donor Sunn.
Best
P