Why become a member? ×

Poweramp recommendations wanted please.

Soliloquy

Chevin research A series, hands down the best lightweight amp iv ever used for bass, so loud i was banned from using it at several venues!
A1000 is 2 x 600w @4ohms
A500 is 2 x 350w @4ohms (only 1u rack space)
you should be able to get one for that money or less used easily ....... if you can find one

just seen this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHEVIN-RESEARCH-A1000-AMPLIFIER-/360398668675?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item53e96f4383

Edited by winterfire666

How about a W-Audio Horizon series?
Several models to choose from, 300w up to 1300w and not too expensive.
Flexible too. Three different modes; stereo, parallel and bridge.
The 600w version weighs in at 8Kg. Not sure if that would be light enough for you.
All models are 1U.
The only restriction I have found is you can't run in bridge mode at less than 8 ohms.

[quote name='beely' timestamp='1317848337' post='1395490']
How about a W-Audio Horizon series?
Several models to choose from, 300w up to 1300w and not too expensive.
Flexible too. Three different modes; stereo, parallel and bridge.
The 600w version weighs in at 8Kg. Not sure if that would be light enough for you.
All models are 1U.
The only restriction I have found is you can't run in bridge mode at less than 8 ohms.
[/quote]

I picked one of those (Horizon 600) up fairly cheap on fleabay last week, and whilst the intention wasn't to use it as part of my bass rig, I checked it out to make sure it was working by using it as my rig at rehearsal. It sounded pretty good with my SansAmp BDDI in front and my Ashdown ABM410t at the business end, but as much as I don't want to fall into descriptions like "quiet watts" etc, the Horizon running 600W bridged into 8ohms sounded significantly more timid than my usual Hartke HA5500 running 350W into the same 8ohms. If I was planning on using one as my rig in a loud band, I think I'd be tempted to play it safe and get one of the higher powered models.

Chevins are the bomb The A500 will bridge 700w into 8 ohms all day.

The A1000 will bridge 1200W into 8ohms happily.

They really are all that!

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1317752604' post='1394196']
Chevin research A series, hands down the best lightweight amp iv ever used for bass, so loud i was banned from using it at several venues!
A1000 is 2 x 600w @4ohms
A500 is 2 x 350w @4ohms (only 1u rack space)
you should be able to get one for that money or less used easily ....... if you can find one

just seen this
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHEVIN-RESEARCH-A1000-AMPLIFIER-/360398668675?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item53e96f4383"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item53e96f4383[/url]
[/quote]