Why become a member? ×

OLP Basses - What Happened?

bassatnight

It makes sense that ErnieBall had the Sterling range planned for some time as they were unhappy with the product produced by OLP. I imagine it's better business to run the factory they're made in than get a cut of the profit as a license fee. Also, OLPs were not very indicative of what to expect from a US Musicman and perhaps wasn't that complimentary to the brand - the Sterlings are much closer.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1317659785' post='1392886']
It makes sense that ErnieBall had the Sterling range planned for some time as they were unhappy with the product produced by OLP. I imagine it's better business to run the factory they're made in than get a cut of the profit as a license fee. Also, OLPs were not very indicative of what to expect from a US Musicman and perhaps wasn't that complimentary to the brand - the Sterlings are much closer.
[/quote]

This makes sense.
I love the OLPs, but they need a couple of mods to make them decent.

The origin of the Sterling range came with the discontinuation of the SUB in 2006. EBMM couldn't afford to continue manufacturing the SUB in the US and was looking to replace it with one that was less expensive to produce.

OLP was a licensed deal with the Hanser group. It was seen as a way to prevent the flooding of the market with unlicensed knock-offs and to protect EBMMs trademark. The license expired and EBMM didn't renew it. There had been some issues of product consistency with the OLPs, but ultimately why license your trademark to another company to build guitars in Asia when you're going to be doing that yourself?