Why become a member? ×

P-Bass '65 (evilbay) . . . Your thoughts?

Kelso

Hey folks.

Cos I'm a noob who has developed vintage fever I'm looking for your advice and recommendations on this P-Bass I saw

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-P-Bass-Precision-1965-vintage-bass-guitar-/350493409714?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item519b0901b2"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-P-Bass-Precision-1965-vintage-bass-guitar-/350493409714?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item519b0901b2[/url]

Over priced I think . . . Seems genuinely original (apart from the re-fret, re-finish and replacement pot stated by the seller) What are your thoughts?

Cheers very much for your time.

Kelso

Lovely looking p bass, wish i had the cash. No doubt someone who knows what they are on about will be along some time today. Too expensive though surely. It'd better sound damn good for that ammount. Surely the bridge would be the weak spot on those old Fenders? just looks too weedy and BBOT like?

ps

I hate it when you click on a tiny pic to 'enlarge' it and hey presto. the same tiny pic on a massive white background.! grr

Edited by daz

Yeah, I talked to a well respected collector and fellow basschatter who reckoned it was very overpriced. He reckoned £2k (and he was being generous). I got the dude down to £3k so thought it was maybe worth a punt but now decided to stay well clear!

Cheers.

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1317471149' post='1391027']Lovely looking p bass, wish i had the cash. No doubt someone who knows what they are on about will be along some time today. Too expensive though surely. It'd better sound damn good for that ammount. Surely the bridge would be the weak spot on those old Fenders? just looks too weedy ?

ps

I hate it when you click on a tiny pic to 'enlarge' it and hey presto. the same tiny pic on a massive white background.! grr[/quote]
Loads of pics in the body of the ad (recently added?).

Yeah that seems a lot for a refin and refret, that scratch plate doesn't look original either (no cracks or shrinkage).

when buying these basses from dealers such as nick guitars you have a bit of protection. As its a registered company it must offer you services and guarantee's that a private seller can get away with not offering. You pay a bit more but feel safer about parting with such an amount of money.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1962-Slab-Board-VINTAGE-FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-Great-Players-Instrument-/250898931463?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a6abddf07"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1962-Slab-Board-VINTAGE-FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-Great-Players-Instrument-/250898931463?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a6abddf07[/url]

seems like a bargain compared to this one.

Fenders made after 1965 are on the bottom of vintage bass prices (CBS era). £2k is ok, but you need to make sure is it 100% original! It CANNOT be refinished for this price! [b]Lacquer is one of the most important things that make old Fenders sound soooooooooooooo good![/b]

edit: why somebody KILLED that 1962 Pbass? :)

Edited by dr Szelma

Here's my two penny worth.

I agree with other posts, its over priced. The pickguard is definitely a new reissue, looks nothing like an original. The problem with these 'partser' instruments, is that you never quite now what else has been swapped out etc.

I'm sure this bass plays, and sounds fine, but it's a £2K bass, tops. If you want a vintage P for around £3k, try New Kings Road, they have a lovely refin sunburst (All original except that), for a very reasonable £3495, I've played it and it's really nice, lovely correct refin too.

Shop around, theres loads around better than this one for the same money.

Happy hunting.

He's asking top dollar! - The neck looks 100%, but to me there's no proof the body is original at all, no marks in neck pocket? Nothing in control cavity? Nothing under pick ups? Very nice but - 'that's a big BUT', I'd expect a bit more provenance for the asking £££££.

Cheerz, John