Why become a member? ×

Contract in Dubai

bassist_lewis

I've been asked to do 3 months playing a hotel in dubai. Its not absolutely final yet but its looking good, just had to send off some rough recordings tonight and should know for sure one way or the other tomorrow (or later today, being that its after midnight)

does anyone have any advice or things to remember or things to look out for (regarding the contract, I'm aware that holding hands is too hot and heavy for the emirates, and that you need a non-muslim drinking license)?

thanks in advance

Make sure you have all the details sorted, especially be clear on living expenses and whether accommodation and meals are provided. Accommodation is both expensive and typically leased rather than rented for 3 months or more. Short term accommodation is also available but at central London prices last time I checked. Hopefully things might have calmed down now the bubble has burst over there but its worth being cautious.

Also, don't underestimate the amount of time it may take if you have to apply for work visas yourselves. Clarify whether you will need your qualifications attested (which can be a serious PITA as many addresses don't actually have street numbers. So it can involve a lot of running around looking for government buildings that don't have any form of signage and waiting in queues hoping you'll be seen before the very restricted office hours end. So its important to plan ahead for any interactions you have with government departments. People are frequently seen as an inconvenience and source of irritation by civil servants.)

My tip: see if the hotel or your agents will do as much for you as possible. You just don't need the hassle.

Also, take a Garmin satnav with you. It allows you to find places quickly even if you are in a taxi. Tomtom covers Dubai I think but Garmin have the most up to date maps because they are the most popular in Dubai.

You don't need a drinking license unless you planning to purchase alcohol outside hotels or restaurants. The cost of a glass of house white in one hotel I stayed in was 7 quid though. A bottle of jack daniels was available at a club I visited for 120 quid so getting drunk can be a very expensive business. Most ex-pat residents obtain their booze much cheaper from Ajman and smuggle it across the state of Sharja (which has super strict prohibition and moral decency laws.)

Having said all that...you will meet very exhuberant Middle Eastern personalities over there (Emirates excluded). Egyptians, Saudi Arabians, Syrians, Iranians all tend to be very warm and sociable but be prepared for them to ask favours that may take liberties, when they feel they have your trust. The expat Kiwis, Aussies and Europeans tend to be up for a party most weekends (at least that was the case while I was there, there might be fewer of them now the construction and property development market has dried up).

Dubai society is a three tier class system too. Emirates at the top, professionals in the middle and labourers (mainly indian and filipino) at the bottom. Expect many Emirates to be disdainful and aloof at best and complete man-children at worst. I tended to avoid them where possible.

The middle eastern food is fantastic, especially hummus, dolmas, olives and roasted fish. In Dubai there is a fish and chip shop down by the marina if you feel nostalgic. :)

Almost all buildings are air conditioned and avoid spending too much time outside in the day if the temp is above 35. I made the mistake of sitting outside the hotel pool one day in 42 degree heat and still got heatstroke despite slinging iced water down my neck like my guts were on fire. I made it back to my room and was pretty much useless for the rest of the day. I was ok after a 4 hour nap though.

Most of all: have fun while you're there. It was a crazy place while I was there so I'm sure it'll be a real adventure for you!

I have been to the UAE/Bahrain quite a few times, everything from one night to Six months.
And the one thing to do if you are there for a long period, is seek out the Expats and their clubs.
Drinking is cheaper, and you will get invited to parties, BBQ's, water sports etc.
Just hanging around the hotels becomes boring however nice they are.
Get out and see things, its a great place.Fantastic food.
Normally all paperwork & permits will be sorted by Agents/fixers/ or the Hotel, otherwise you will not even get into the country.
I hope it comes off, and enjoy.

Garry

I spent 3 years out there in the early 90s. No doubt its different now.

No drugs. Theres plenty there but do not be tempted. I don't know you but if you are into a bit of spliff DO NOT do it out there. Ex pat clubs are fine in small doses but a little incestuous and can be a bit bitchy.

Get a fishing rod. If you aint into fishing its a great place to start. I am guessing you'll have plenty of time in the day. Me and a drummer used to get a boat out to a little island and fish off of it. We pulled out some amazing specimens from the Arabian sea! Freaky.

Learn a little bit of Arabic. Learn to haggle.

Above all have a brilliant time.

cheers Crazykiwi! I'll study your post thoroughly. I'm not a huge drug/alcohol abuser so might get some time to practice. I have a friend out there already so she's giving me a bit of advice.
what about contracts? sign them here or out there?

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1317459965' post='1390867']
DON'T DRIVE!!!! Just.....don't....drive.

G.
[/quote]

I... CAN'T... DRIVE..., I... DON'T... HAVE... A... LICENSE... I... KEEP... MEANING... TO... TAKE... LESSONS... BUT... INSTEAD... I... BUY... STUFF... !!!

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1317469202' post='1390991']
I spent 3 years out there in the early 90s. No doubt its different now.
[/quote]

Yes, I'm sure it is a different world there now!

This sounds like a fantastic opportunity. It should be fun, as long as you remember that you're going to a country with a culture and system of moral values far different from our own. And if you do get in trouble, for whatever reason, don't expect an easy ride there. Their courts have teeth, unlike ours.

Go and see the world!

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1317552752' post='1391671']
what about contracts? sign them here or out there?
[/quote]
I can't offer advice on that I'm afraid apart from making sure you get a copy of the contract well in advance of your leaving date. If you're happy with the terms of the contract better to sign it ASAP, otherwise things can be changed before you arrive. If you're not happy with the contract you're also in the strongest position to negotiate. The contact my band had was very reasonable, just be sure that your agent is reputable.

[quote name='nomis' timestamp='1317905691' post='1396003']
i agree with the dont drive thing, stayed out there a few years ago for a holiday and my mates dad (who lived out there) nearly got us killed nearly every day!
[/quote]

You say it as if it's a bad thing :)

Made the holiday interesting didn't it?

Ungrateful sod :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1317906161' post='1396014']

You say it as if it's a bad thing :)

Made the holiday interesting didn't it?

Ungrateful sod :)
[/quote]

i felt safer when we were driving over sand dunes in the desert!

dubai is an amazing place tho!