Why become a member? ×

Steinberger

thinman

Having just seen a bit of 80's video with someone playing a Steinberger XT-type bass (you know, the carbon-fibre cricket bat shaped thing)I was astonished to find they're still made.

Does anyone use them or are they so indelibly linked with 80's?

What do any players find good and bad about them?

Do you mean L and XL basses? They stopped making them some years back. The synapse series is an updated version of the L/XL series but its not made in composite. You can still get hold of 4 string XL basses off Ebay though, they were made from 1980 through to sometime in the 90s'.

I bought mine a couple of months ago and I really like it. Very warm sounding and the simple one pot eq is incredibly effective. Very cool bass.

[i]Good:[/i]
Warm sounding
Very stable
Compact
Replacement face plates can be used to customise without devaluing the instrument
Cool looking

[i]Bad:[/i]
Small body may take some adjusting to (nothing to rest your wrist on)
Still a touch of headstock dive (which can be compensated for in the fixing to the boomerang strap plate)
You won't be able to do burpy jaco impressions on it

Hohner did/do wooden copies, too. The bridges are Steinberger licensed. They're fine as a 4-string, but the 5 strings seem to lack the mass in the body to do a decent low "B". The proper Steinbergers weigh not much less than a P-bass and have a superb bottom end accordingly.
I think they're great (although I don't own one) but bought the obvious UK-made alternative, a Status Streamline.

I had one of the Hohner ones and loved it. Mine was a 5 string, and yes, there wasn't [i]quite[/i] enough oomph at the low end, but a very comfortable bass to play. It sounded awesome through my Trace stack at the time - that sounds really 80s doesn't it?

I would imagine another limitation being detuning strings as they're double ball end, but I've never tried this, so wouldn't really know.

I read on the interweb that Jaco did have a Steinberger for a while (but never paid for it or returned it). So I wonder if he ever got a burpy Jaco sound out of one....

As I remember, it was bought in a pawn shop years later and the serial number was matched up with the factory records. I've never seen any evidence of him playing one in public, so chances are he couldn't?

I use a Hohner cricket bat with a D-Tuner, (had a Jack bass too). It's great little bass with great fat tones and a nice Jazz type neck. Completely reliable basses. I played a real old Steiny and didn't like its feel at all. The Spirit by Steinberger range are sh*t compared to the Hohners but cheaper. The current Korean Steinbergers that I've tried had BIG QC issues, really bad. But try some, you might find a good one.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1317241066' post='1388639']
Yes, I used to have a Hohner Jack headless bass. Nothing special, but not dire either. The Spirit range of Steinbergers are piss poor though, I'd avoid those at all costs.
[/quote]
My active Jack had had a great growlly tone and was good for dub and reggae sounds. Like you say, nothing special but entirely dependable and respectable.

Spirits are pretty much firewood compared to the Hohners.

Edited by silddx