Why become a member? ×

Board Settings

seashell

Sorry, I'm so useless I can't even explain what my problem is as I don't know the proper techno vocabulary, but here goes..

I'm finding it a headache to read posts since the change to the new style. The characters are all cramped and bits are missing. So I had a look under 'help' and found this:

[i]'Board Settings:[/i]
You can manage settings related to how the board is displayed/operates from this page. You can choose your timezone and various view options here, such as which text editor you would like to use.'

Would I be able to change it to something more readable using one of these features? Trouble is I can't find how to access the 'board settings', only my profile settings.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Try this link ? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=core&module=usercp"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=core&module=usercp[/url] That's probably the page you're looking for but I can't see any formatting options there, the help page might have been for the older version.

Unfortunately I don't know, and even if I did I wouldn't be able to change it as I'm using my works computer!
So although I use a computer all day I know nothing about how to set them up or solve any problems as that is all done by magical people in our IT support dept.
I know - I should be doing more work instead of messing about on here (but it is after 5.00 pm now so I'm not being too naughty!)

Seashell - you're not the only one thinking this, it's been hanging around my thoughts as well. In view of the number of comments saying things like "it must be your browser /settings etc, I can only report what I'm seeing.

For me, the avatars appear to be universally smaller and some of them portray less than the complete image.

The lettering under the avatars, time info above the posts and script in my mailbox etc is a light grey, which doesn't contrast very easily with the dulux brilliant white background.

In general, these features tend to make the new webpages less of an easy read compared to the old website.

I hate to criticise things when it's clear that a lot of effort has gone into the new website design.... but....

Running Windows XP Pro SP3 and Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox 3.6.22

I don't mind the colour scheme at all - it's fresh and looks modern, but I too am having a problem with the fonts. On the main page the forum headings (e.g. Introductions", "General Bass Discussions") are clear but the description beneath each heading is very difficult to read. The font appears very thin and broken up - as if it's being displayed at a lower font size than it was designed for - and there is no anti-aliasing of the font on my screen at all.

I use a fair number of forums from time to time and I am having real difficulty now in reading this one. It's not the actual size of the font - I can use other forums with similar font sizes - it's the appearance of the font.

Perhaps my PC does not have this particular font installed and it's substituting an inferior font ?

If i can make a suggestion. It might be very helpfull, if you could take a screen shot[b]*[/b] and upload it, so it can be clearly seen what the probl;em is. Screenshots are often in .bmp format so it might be advisable to chan ge to .gif or jpg or png Maybe uploading the pic to photobucket or flickr and showing it from there.?

([b]* [/b]press the 'print screen' button on your keyboard then open up something like Paint and go to edit and paste your picture into it then save it)

Edited by daz

[url="http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_kJYAoRMPb9wKdkfBpj0mD1foGVazS7Cocw_yb_1v44?feat=directlink"]http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_kJYAoRMPb9wKdkfBpj0mD1foGVazS7Cocw_yb_1v44?feat=directlink[/url]

I think "it's hard to read" is a misunderstood statement. I can read it but i find it awkward to read. Much prefer the old design, sorry.

The old design won't be coming back (ever), but we will be tweaking the new one to hopefully make it as practical as possible for all.

FWIW i've included a screenshot as I see things to show the differences that can be present using a different browser, this can be down to local settings.

Chrome:

Firefox:

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1316936329' post='1384437']
The old design won't be coming back (ever), but we will be tweaking the new one to hopefully make it as practical as possible for all.
[/quote]

Shame, well unless theres a theme option to view as it was then you lost me on a regular basis :)

[quote name='bigbottomend' timestamp='1316936809' post='1384444']
Shame, well unless theres a theme option to view as it was then you lost me on a regular basis :)
[/quote]
I find that somewhat self-defeating, but it is your prerogative. Try the default IP.Board theme at the bottom (Change theme).

Everyone is different so that's why i asked for any other possible theme's as there is an option at the bottom to change between the current two. I have it set on the ips one now as it seems darker and more pleasing to me. The background is obviously white and the font seems obviously wrong, and generally posts seem too spread out. I just prefered the old one better, I also find vBulletin boards better to read if that helps ?

Edit (again) I just been looking at other sites i visit and it's clicked for me what it is. "Compactness" (if thats a word) I tend to scoll through threads and posts very quickly, looking for specific things that i might be interested in, especially on classifieds. The more compact the thread and thread titles are the better for me.

So to summerise a theme that is more "compact" would be appreciated.

Edited by bigbottomend

On looking at your screenshots there, it looks to me like a font issue of some sort. My font in IE8 and Firefox looks nowhere near as smooth as on those images

IE8
[IMG]http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss59/BOD2_photos/IE8.jpg[/IMG]

Firefox
[IMG]http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss59/BOD2_photos/FireFox.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1316936329' post='1384437']FWIW i've included a screenshot ...[/quote]
[quote name='BOD2' timestamp='1316970553' post='1385012']On looking at your screenshots there, it looks to me like a font issue of some sort. [/quote]

We're not really comparing like with like here. Two very different PCs (of different age I presume, vista and XP) with different screen resolutions (I think ?) and different versions of Firefox (I think).

Maybe the design of the new board doesn't really take into account older, lower resolution screens. If that's right, maybe a tweaked theme for those screens is in order ?

Andy