Why become a member? ×

Chord problem (Up the Junction)

squire5

Can anybody help?In the Squeeze song, Up the Junction,what is the chord thats played on the word 'incubator'?Sounds like it should be B minor,but there's something different about it.All the other chords at that point in the other verses are deffo B minor.Any tabs I've checked also say B minor,but I maintain theres something odd about the Incubator one.Does anybody agree,or am I just going mental? :)

OK, I'd never heard this song before, but I just went and found the video on YouTube, thinking it would be a good "ear test". You are correct - it's a different chord. I'm sat at work with no musical instruments handy, so I'm going purely by ear, but I [i]think[/i] it might be E7 (assuming that verse is mainly D/G). I could well be wrong, though. Someone better qualified / equipped / informed will be along shortly, I'm sure. :)

EDIT Also - the incubator verse seems to be in a different key from the first verses and the following one. I think it's one whole tone lower than the other verses (so if other verses are principally E/A, the incubator verse wd be D/G).

Edited by Earbrass

A quick Youtube...

In that verse there is a keyboard line which plays a G# on the B minor chord, implying a B min 6

EDIT: Just checked a clip with Glenn Tilbrook on his own, and he does appear to be playing E7 ...so, take your pick!

Edited by SteveK

EDIT Also - the incubator verse seems to be in a different key from the first verses and the following one. I think it's one whole tone lower than the other verses (so if other verses are principally E/A, the incubator verse wd be D/G).
[/quote]

Yes,you're right.The song starts in E and then makes its way into the key of D,and then back to E again.I've tried playing a G sharp on top of the Bflat in question and it doesn't sound too bad,but when you experiment and try the same thing in the key of E (IE playing a Bflat on top of the Dflat minor chord) it definitely doesn't work,which leads me to believe that the band play a variation of Bflat at the point I mentioned.God this is getting complicated. :)

[quote name='squire5' post='1371391' date='Sep 13 2011, 07:54 AM']Can anybody help?In the Squeeze song, Up the Junction,what is the chord thats played on the word 'incubator'?Sounds like it should be B minor,but there's something different about it.All the other chords at that point in the other verses are deffo B minor.Any tabs I've checked also say B minor,but I maintain theres something odd about the Incubator one.Does anybody agree,or am I just going mental? :)[/quote]
Yes. It is G#minor7.
Cheers

[quote name='ojwethorns' post='1371649' date='Sep 13 2011, 12:24 PM']Yes. It is G#minor7.
Cheers[/quote]

[quote name='SteveK' post='1371669' date='Sep 13 2011, 12:36 PM']Nope!

Whether it's Bmin6 or E7, it's a B on the bass, so let your guitarist/keyboard player decide...on the night :)[/quote]

Got to agree - I don't think there's a D# in there.

My two-penneth re the studio version

Guitar is playing a Bm as the F# is very audible- try playing an E in this chord and it sounds all kinds of wrong (its a passing note in the melody)
The G# in the keys is pretty up in the mix and as the Bass isn't overly bassy a G#min7b5 is implied if you like

In a nutshell its a Bm with a prominent G# in the keys line.

Bm with a G sharp?Hmm.That actually seems right.It works.my problem had been that we dont have keyboard in our lineup so we were trying to make it work with just guitar and bass.But that combo definitely works.What does the team think?I had thought that Garry's E7 might have been right.PS how d'ya get the 'Sharp' icon on your keyboard?

Edited by squire5

[quote name='squire5' post='1371719' date='Sep 13 2011, 01:17 PM'][b]Bm with a G sharp?Hmm.[/b]That actually seems right.It works.my problem had been that we dont have keyboard in our lineup so we were trying to make it work with just guitar and bass.But that combo definitely works.What does the team think?I had thought that Garry's E7 might have been right.[b]PS how d'ya get the 'Sharp' icon on your keyboard?[/b][/quote]That'll be a Bmin6 then :)

#=# er, I mean[i] hash key[/i]