Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on this mix please

Dubs

Just after some neutral opinions of this mix. I didn't do it, but there are a few issues I have with it and I just want to know if it's me being hyper-sensitive to it or they're genuine things that should be sorted out.

Cheers!

[url="http://soundcloud.com/switchtransmission/stb-final-master-10pm-edit-mp3"]http://soundcloud.com/switchtransmission/s...r-10pm-edit-mp3[/url]

Good mix.

Bang on for the genre really.

Hypercritically it doesnt really have a big lift for the chorus, but thats the arrangement rather than the mix I think. The guitars/bass could have a tad more definition, but again its right for the genre so thats me applying what I prefer to hear over what fits maybe.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1367660' date='Sep 9 2011, 02:09 PM']Good mix.

Bang on for the genre really.

Hypercritically it doesnt really have a big lift for the chorus, but thats the arrangement rather than the mix I think. The guitars/bass could have a tad more definition, but again its right for the genre so thats me applying what I prefer to hear over what fits maybe.[/quote]

Cheers for the input. The more I listen to it the less I have issues with it. The first time I listened to it I thought the snare and kick were way too high in the mix and I couldn't really hear any definition of some of my bass parts (because I know what I should be able to hear!), but having listened through it another 4 or 5 times I think it's much less of an issue than I thought.

Very good track but the bass should be much higher in the mix. Was it mixed at a loud volume in a studio through lovely powerful shiny monitor speakers like most mixes are? Once played at a volume the neighbours won't complain about, all the bass disappears (and all the bollocks too - a technical term).
To confirm my opinion I actually played along with your bassline while the mp3 was playing and bringing the bass more upfront really does make a different to the track. It also provides a solid core to the song which connects the drums and guitar and makes the whole thing sound much punchier.

Your initial impression was right....... you're not being a prima donna. :)

p.s. your music sounds quite Chilli Pepper-ish - you have to ask yourself would Flea be happy with that mix?

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Dubs' post='1367670' date='Sep 9 2011, 02:14 PM']Cheers for the input. The more I listen to it the less I have issues with it. The first time I listened to it I thought the snare and kick were way too high in the mix and I couldn't really hear any definition of some of my bass parts (because I know what I should be able to hear!), but having listened through it another 4 or 5 times I think it's much less of an issue than I thought.[/quote]

I've only played it once, but I thought the snare was way too high, and the bass too low compared to the drums. Mind you, that's on (fairly decent) headphones.

EDIT: ...but that would mean disagreeing with 51m0n, so I'm probably wrong. :)

Edited by Earbrass

I dont think its a Chili Pepper sounding band though, I think its quite an indie sound.

In which case emphasis on the backbeat (and I agree it is a very big snare sound indeed) and not the bass is fine by me.

The kick is definitely not too loud (on my Senn 595s anyway, dunno about on the BIG speakers at home :)))

I do like a bit of the old "bass in this case is the bass in yer face" you know, but this is not that type of thing to me.

I may well have ended up with a more prominant bass sound if I mixed it, but I'm not sure I would have been right to. I just listened to it again, and I like the mix still.

Its all very subjective isnt it....

Edited by 51m0n

I liked it. If I had to offer any critical points, it would be to echo those already made. Not sure so much about upping the actual levels of the bass, but maybe eq it slightly different, to up the audibility/presence. Likewise with the drum/cymbal sounds - possibly look at dropping some frequencies, create a bit more space within them, which hopefully would bring both bass and guitar more to the forefront (but not too much mind).

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1367987' date='Sep 9 2011, 07:35 PM']I liked it. If I had to offer any critical points, it would be to echo those already made. Not sure so much about upping the actual levels of the bass, but maybe eq it slightly different, to up the audibility/presence. Likewise with the drum/cymbal sounds - possibly look at dropping some frequencies, create a bit more space within them, which hopefully would bring both bass and guitar more to the forefront (but not too much mind).[/quote]

This is more along the lines of what I was thinking. A little bit more mid should bring the bass out a lot more. The snare would probably be less of an issue then, I don't know, I've not been involved in any of the post stage of this track.

It's a difficult one - I feel like I'm too closely involved to make an impartial judgement, however, it is the drummer who's created the mix... He does a great job though, much better than I could do, and I'm not criticising him at all, just that he's not coming to it from a totally neutral perspective.

[quote name='Skol303' post='1373276' date='Sep 14 2011, 02:32 PM']Good work!

Can't think of anything else to add that hasn't been said already... I'd perhaps up the bass a wee bit, but then I tend to do that with [i]everything[/i] out of sheer bass-bias, so probably best ignoring that idea :)

Keep 'em coming.[/quote]

Ha, yeah I'm the same. I've learnt to live with this mix and it's actually really growing on me.

I've put up a couple of our other songs that are my favourites :) - [url="http://soundcloud.com/switchtransmission"]http://soundcloud.com/switchtransmission[/url]

Sounds good to me, the cymbals were a little high for me but very easily bearable (just about 3:30ish as I noticed it).

Bass sounds fine on my crappy in ears as do the kick and snare (although I felt the snare sounded a little "flat" to begin with and could've done with a bit more crack to it)