Why become a member? ×

Good bass shops online? The definitive list?

Moos3h

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1362598' date='Sep 5 2011, 09:07 AM']If this is supposed to be list of [i][b]GOOD[/b][/i] on-line shops you will probably need to take Bass Centre out of there.[/quote]

Ah, back in the day it was the nuts. More quality basses than you could shake a (chapman) stick at. Alas, no more.
I note that the Bass Cellar is conspicuous by its absence. Let's keep it that way :)

[quote name='dc2009' post='1362822' date='Sep 5 2011, 01:11 PM']Always been friendly and decently priced for repairs in my book.[/quote]
IMO it's been going steadily downhill ever since they moved from Wapping. My feeling is that they've gone on-line only now as it makes it harder for people to turn up in person to complain.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1363087' date='Sep 5 2011, 04:59 PM']IMO it's been going steadily downhill ever since they moved from Wapping. My feeling is that they've gone on-line only now as it makes it harder for people to turn up in person to complain.[/quote]

Having been to their currently place, they're online only because they're not paying for rental for a space that's large enough to allow for walls of guitars and amps, along with the power usage etc. They are just running three blokes in an office, i.e. three PCs and a kettle. All the gear is in boxes below, there isn't the space for playing!

[quote name='dc2009' post='1363099' date='Sep 5 2011, 05:08 PM']Having been to their currently place, they're online only because they're not paying for rental for a space that's large enough to allow for walls of guitars and amps, along with the power usage etc. They are just running three blokes in an office, i.e. three PCs and a kettle. All the gear is in boxes below, there isn't the space for playing![/quote]

All well and good.
Call me old-fashioned, but if I'm spending what they're asking, I'd like to try before I buy.
Power usage isn't any greater for a musical instrument shop than a regular retail unit, and pales when compared to what Comet or a Sony Centre must burn their way through.
Don't let your heart bleed for the once-great Centre of Bass. They're a shadow of their former selves and don't deserve it.
I had two bad experiences on the two occasions I visited the Brune Street store, but nothing but the best from the Wapping boys.

and also in the US

[url="http://store.bassemporium.com/"]http://store.bassemporium.com/[/url]

Also another German shop, check out the Waja bass, anyone got one seen or played one [url="http://www.cmsme.de/epages/62030644.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62030644/Categories/%22B%C3%84SSE%22"]http://www.cmsme.de/epages/62030644.sf/de_...22B%C3%84SSE%22[/url]

Edited by deepbass5

Just wanted to add a +1 for Guitar Guitar, they represent EXACTLY what online instrument retail should be. I just received a bass from them, it was the least hassle I've ever experienced. They let you specify your delivery day (inc. Saturdays) and on that day their courier sends you a text with an hour window when they will be arriving - saving you staying in the house all day. Friendly people too, from what little contact I had to have with them.

HIGHLY recommended. I only wish they had a larger range of gigbags/cases, as GAK are currently giving me the mother of all runarounds.

Have to say having had a good experience at GAK 5 years ago when i bought an Amp, my last visit on a Saturday in the spring was really bad. The Bass room was locked, and I was told they did not have the staff available, but would open it when staff became available. A typical British music shop just interested in shifting guitar starter packs. :)

If we're including overseas sellers, then you have to include Ishibashi. I've only used their Ubox (second-hand) service, but it's been outstanding on the 4 occasions that I've bought something off the site. The Japanese know all about customer service and how to do it properly. It's just a pity that the £-¥ exchange rate is so rubbish at the moment.

Our guitarist recently went to Manson's. He's been looking to change his whole setup-guitar (he's just got a Les Paul), amp (trade his US Fender Strat and Fender tweed combo for an orange head and cab), and get an electro acoustic. Manson's just didn't want to know-offered him derisory trade-in figures on his Strat and amp, which would have given them ridiculous profit margins, and he got the general impression of 'We're Manson's, we can do what we like'. He went round to Project Music and came away with a good deal on a Blackstar head and cab, and a Fender acoustic, with a hard case thrown in.
I've been to Manson's many times, and although they have a decent selection of stuff, I don't recall anyone ever asking me if I wanted any help, however long I've spent in there. Pretty hefty prices to boot.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='1364087' date='Sep 6 2011, 01:56 PM']Our guitarist recently went to Manson's. He's been looking to change his whole setup-guitar (he's just got a Les Paul), amp (trade his US Fender Strat and Fender tweed combo for an orange head and cab), and get an electro acoustic. Manson's just didn't want to know-offered him derisory trade-in figures on his Strat and amp, which would have given them ridiculous profit margins, and he got the general impression of 'We're Manson's, we can do what we like'. He went round to Project Music and came away with a good deal on a Blackstar head and cab, and a Fender acoustic, with a hard case thrown in.
I've been to Manson's many times, and although they have a decent selection of stuff, I don't recall anyone ever asking me if I wanted any help, however long I've spent in there. Pretty hefty prices to boot.[/quote]

The boss guy in project music is always a real gent too, a pleasure to deal with. Hugh Manson seems like a grumpy old sod every time I've been in there....